Author Topic: Very inventive e-Bay scam warning!  (Read 1308 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Very inventive e-Bay scam warning!
« on: April 03, 2006, 12:04:31 PM »
I just received an e-mail - very official looking, I might add - telling me that an e-bay member had e-mailed me a question about an auction. Without thinking I hit the "Reply" button and logged in at the prompt. Only then did it dawn on me, I DON'T HAVE AN ACTIVE AUCTION! I did a quick rundown on the login page that popped up from the e-mail link and it's bogus - it jumps through some redirector service an off into the electronic ether. I immediately went to e-bay (via the direct-entry route) and changed my account password.

I am pretty up to speed on ways to mine for information and this one still snuck up on me (although it might not have if I hadn't been up to my eyeballs in other stuff). Be warned.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 12:33:19 PM »
Just another reason flea-bay sucks...I have had about enough of them including PayPal.

Greg

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 01:03:30 PM »
Paypal is exceptionally anti-gun.  Which is why I sell gun parts on e-Bay, underneath their hypocritical noses.  They are very much aware how their bread gets buttered...  Cheesy
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 06:02:34 AM »
Well, looks like they tried to hack my account. I got a suspension notice from e-bay this morning. I'm guessing that the offending party tried to log in (repeatedly) using my old password and the computer flagged the account for automatic suspension. I'm glad they caught it before some idiot made life hard on other e-bayers using my name. But it still sucks.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 06:12:51 AM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
Well, looks like they tried to hack my account.
Hmm. . .  Tempts a person to go to their fake website with a script to just absolutely fill them up with bogus logins that won't work. That might be something to do the next time I get a scam e-mail like that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 06:21:56 AM »
" Tempts a person to go to their fake website with a script to just absolutely fill them up with bogus logins..."

I LIKE it!

Can I get one for my buddies who like trying to con me out of my chase card information?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 09:29:34 AM »
Mike, I believe all your credit cards have been accessed without authorization. Please send me your account numbers, passwords, and PINs so I can verify them...
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 09:49:49 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
" Tempts a person to go to their fake website with a script to just absolutely fill them up with bogus logins..."

I LIKE it!

Can I get one for my buddies who like trying to con me out of my chase card information?
I did that when I got the first chase email.  My name is nunya biz at 666 effyou ln. Smiley

I wonder how many times they tried to use that info...

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 11:01:35 AM »
I've put in fake information before, but it would be fun to run a script that just floods them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 01:28:49 PM »
Just say no to html email.

If someone wants to send me a webpage, they can put it on the web and email me the url.

Hmm. . .  Tempts a person to go to their fake website with a script to just absolutely fill them up with bogus logins that won't work. That might be something to do the next time I get a scam e-mail like that.
If they have a lukewarm IQ, they'll log your ip, username, and password.  That way, they can very quickly delete all entries from one IP if someone tries to poison the list.

I do that with some online polls, but only because online polls matter to some people.  If they think there are a lot of people with an opposing viewpoint, they might at least take 5 seconds to reconsider their position.  That's a win.  Poll numbers mean nothing unless they're for an election.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)