Author Topic: Little known correspondences come to light!  (Read 10988 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Little known correspondences come to light!
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 07:49:41 PM »
Kryptonite Needle.

The friction of the super-cloth would cut earf-thread.  Is it kryptonite thread, too?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 09:05:23 PM »
The friction of the super-cloth would cut earf-thread.  Is it kryptonite thread, too?
Kryptonite seam ripper?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 09:57:33 PM »
The "explanation" I heard was that it was only indestructible when it was close to his skin.  If he wasn't wearing it, it was just plain old spandex.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
Piffle! the best gadget type superhero is clearly the Punisher.  ;/

wwhy have a pair of 1911's, when you can have everything?
Beware the man with one gun. He probably knows how to use it. Phantom is that man. Although Punisher is alright, too.

I thought that was the Shadow.  ???
The Shadow also has the power to cloud men's minds so that they either don't see him or see him a few feet from where he actually is. That's how how is able to annoy enemies by laughing while they shoot at him.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 10:12:10 PM »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

erictank

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2011, 11:47:42 PM »
Kryptonite Needle.

You guys are aware that the needles (and the thread they carry) go through the HOLES in the weave of the cloth, right?  His suit's not made out of Mylar or PVC.

The "explanation" I heard was that it was only indestructible when it was close to his skin.  If he wasn't wearing it, it was just plain old spandex.

The Byrne-era (1986?  Series launch was 'Superman: Man Of Steel') reboot stated that Supes generated a field out to about a quarter-inch from his skin.  Anything inside that (such as tight-fitting clothing) was protected by the field - which explains why his cape can get torn to shreds but the rest of his suit remains undamaged.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 01:18:15 AM »
Guns, knives, explosives...

The Punisher knows all.  :cool:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 04:10:08 AM »
Hmmm, seems to be a rather plausible argument. Let me think on this...

*Anyone who's been around here awhile can tell you that me thinking is never good...  [tinfoil]

Actually you thinking is more of a surprise than anything else. =D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 06:15:43 AM »
Okay, but could Superman stand there and take several shots from a revolver right in the face/chest, but then when the bad guy runs out of ammo, Superman has to duck when the bad chucks the, now useless, weapon at him ?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 07:12:14 AM »
Actually you thinking is more of a surprise than anything else.
True, I do tend to avoid it best I can.  :P

From a blog:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread226512/pg1

Always an interesting question. As Umbrax points out, there have been numerous explanations for how Supe's costume came into being and why he doesn't face public nudity charges every time he flies through fire, or gets hit with a missile, or flies into space.

Originally, Clark made the costume himself, as Umbrax pointed out. The Superman mythos continuity was then altered to focus more on his upbringing on Earth. The origins of his costume shifted to being made by his mother, Martha. Clark used his heat vision to cut the thread and stitch it together.

This explanation can be seen in the recent Superman-Batman-Supergirl graphic novel collection, where Martha makes Kara Zor-El's costume with the help of Clark's heat vision. Here, like Clark, the costume was made from a blanket that was stowed away in the Kryptonian ship which brought the two to Earth. Clark's cape has, at times, been a remnant of the blanket he was swaddled in as a baby.

The other story I heard - and I cannot remember where I read it - was that Superman's costume was a kind of Kryptonian survival suit which Jor-El included in the ship with his son. This explains why the uniform remains undamaged by most conventional attacks.

Hope this helped. The Superman mythos changes so often. I yearn for the day when they return Supe's powers to the level they were in the Silver Age series. Sigh.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:17:33 AM by 280plus »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 08:19:08 AM »
"Supe"  ;/

:laugh:

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 01:15:51 PM »
How did his Earf-mom sew his impervious/impenetrable blanket into a cape?  A sewing needle wouldn't go through it.
Duh. Superglue.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
Doh!  :facepalm:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 08:25:05 PM »