Author Topic: Any wonder I post here rather than at THR (no offense Oleg!)  (Read 16978 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Any wonder I post here rather than at THR (no offense Oleg!)
« on: April 14, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »
I recently started a thread over at THR in the handgun section.  Long story short, I asked members which gun of a list of three guns I already own - Glock 19, Glock 21, Smith 686 - they would recommend I choose to take on a five day backpacking trip in the Daniel Boone National Forest.  I described the purpose of the handgun as being like the first-aid kit I carry...don't want to use it, but don't want to need it and not have it.  I mentioned I just wanted one for SHTF situations.  My reason for the debate was in my own mind, deciding if a revolver (no mags needed, just ammo) or an autoloader made more sense.

Some sample responses I got?  "Taurus Public Defender aka the Judge in .410. Perfect for snakes and such without worry of 'zinging' rounds out." 
"Buy a good serios caliber autoloader(not a 22) and keep a couple spare mags on hand, and buy one of thoose nagant revolvers as a back up, i dont think it is even possible to make a nagant revolver fail to fire."
"22 revolver. Take your pick of action, barrel length, etc."
Other than a few posts with some good advice, the rest was a heated debate about the durability of autos vs. revolvers, with one poster stating that you have to clean an auto several times a day in a dirty environment to keep it functioning.
Meanwhile, I'll just keep it in mind whenever I have a gun question...come here first.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Any wonder I post here rather than at THR (no offense Oleg!)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »
I recently started a thread over at THR in the handgun section.  Long story short, I asked members which gun of a list of three guns I already own - Glock 19, Glock 21, Smith 686 - they would recommend I choose to take on a five day backpacking trip in the Daniel Boone National Forest.  I described the purpose of the handgun as being like the first-aid kit I carry...don't want to use it, but don't want to need it and not have it.  I mentioned I just wanted one for SHTF situations.  My reason for the debate was in my own mind, deciding if a revolver (no mags needed, just ammo) or an autoloader made more sense.

Some sample responses I got?  "Taurus Public Defender aka the Judge in .410. Perfect for snakes and such without worry of 'zinging' rounds out." 
"Buy a good serios caliber autoloader(not a 22) and keep a couple spare mags on hand, and buy one of thoose nagant revolvers as a back up, i dont think it is even possible to make a nagant revolver fail to fire."
"22 revolver. Take your pick of action, barrel length, etc."
Other than a few posts with some good advice, the rest was a heated debate about the durability of autos vs. revolvers, with one poster stating that you have to clean an auto several times a day in a dirty environment to keep it functioning.
Meanwhile, I'll just keep it in mind whenever I have a gun question...come here first.

So, you bought the Judge with a Nagant back-up, right?

Cause that's my recommendation.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 01:49:16 PM »
I'd prefer a BFG9000, although a ZF-1 would do in a pinch.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 01:49:29 PM »
Should've bought a double rifle in .470 NE, since a handgun is only for fighting you way back to the rifle you shouldn't've laid down in the first place. And you should carry 2 double rifles, since two is one and one is none. And you should file down the front sight anyway so it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your prostate.

There. I think that's most of the default responses.  :lol:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 01:50:40 PM »
The bear would just eat your BFG9000 and break your Judge over your head.

Your a guntard unless you carry an AR in .50Beowolf when your hiking.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 02:10:52 PM »
I don't think you would offend Oleg in any way.  You posted that on THR.org, which is no longer associated with him.  His side changed to Gun Rights Media.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 02:22:43 PM »
I'd probably just take the Glock 19 but I'm not familiar with the type of critters in that area.  If it's black bear country I'd probably opt for the 686.

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 02:32:22 PM »
I like the responses where the poster skims through and only reads every third or fourth word.  Kind of like:
"So if I buy the Nagant what other rounds can I fire besides 410?"
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 02:41:52 PM »
You should also wear bells on your clothing and carry pepper spray.  After you disappear searchers well be able to tell whether you got ate by a grizzly or a black bear.  Black bear scat smells like berries.  Grizzly scat smells like pepper and jingles when you kick it around. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 02:44:23 PM »
Chris, which one do you shoot best? Does it have a holster that secures the gun well and are you willing to wear it all day long?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 02:46:07 PM »
I'll never understand those kind of answers, either. I see it on car forums, too.

Question: I'm thinking about buying my neighbor's 2007 Mustang for $14,000. Are the 2007's reliable?

Answer: get a 2011 Lamborghini if you want a really fast car.

Just don't buy any Crimson Trace lasers from me and expect a free gun. Moccasins, maybe. ;)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 02:49:04 PM »
So we buy the Moccasins and get a free gun? Awesome!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »
Have you considered a pole-arm?

You can use it as a walking stick and a bear sticker, it will never run out of ammo, you can use as a shelter pole in extremis and if someone sees you coming down the trail with a halberd or a glaive or a guisarme, or glaive-guisarme, they will get the F out of your way.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 03:04:42 PM »
So we buy the Moccasins and get a free gun? Awesome!

Yeah, but the moccasins cost anywhere from 500 to 2000+ dollars. 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »
Have you considered a pole-arm?

You can use it as a walking stick and a bear sticker, it will never run out of ammo, you can use as a shelter pole in extremis and if someone sees you coming down the trail with a halberd or a glaive or a guisarme, or glaive-guisarme, they will get the F out of your way.

Bears suffer a -2 dexterity when confronted with a Bohemian Ear Spoon, after the first hit.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 03:33:20 PM »
Those are some expensive moccasins.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 03:34:07 PM »
Bears suffer a -2 dexterity when confronted with a Bohemian Ear Spoon, after the first hit.
Cool.  Then you can use the Battle Cry of The Tick!    SPOOOOONNN!!!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 03:49:32 PM »
The 686 loaded with hot 158gr+ loads.

And a pole axe.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 04:06:44 PM »
What's the best polearm for polecat?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 04:08:31 PM »
Because this is where you go for the serious answers
 =D

I assume that you are fully competent with all three weapons.

I don't know where that park is, but i'm guessing black bear is the biggest animal out there. And they have cubs right now, which means you don't want to piss mama off.

But thats worse case and your best tactic is to scare her off rather then kill, so a big noise with a clear escape route for her and children is best.

I'd go with your lightest option. autoloaders, you want two loaded mags or revolver with a couple autoloaders, with one of your extra mags or autoloaders tucked back in your pack in a ziplock.

And thats my two cent.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »
It's between the G21 and the 686. Of the two, I'd just go with whichever you shoot better. Both being equal, I'd say the 686, if only because as a revolver it's a bit more PC looking should you somehow have any public, or LE/Ranger interactions over it.

Black bear/Mountain Lion is the largest critter you might have to dispatch, and .45 ACP would be adequate at any range you're justified in shooting it.
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 04:38:45 PM »
Should've bought a double rifle in .470 NE,
Make that a bolt-action double barrel rifle.  http://www.fuchs-fine-guns.com/

OK, so much for the kidding . . .

As to which pistol, assuming you're competent with all three . . . two-legged problems will be addressed with any of them, though if you encounter a biker gang tending their marijuana plantation when you get back in them thar woods, the extra rounds of the G19 might be welcome.

For dealing with four-legged problems, either the G21 or 686 will do, loaded with heavy bullets at maximum velocity.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 04:53:09 PM »
Take off and nuke it from orbit with detcord, Zardoz style.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 04:55:37 PM »

As to which pistol, assuming you're competent with all three . . . two-legged problems will be addressed with any of them, though if you encounter a biker gang tending their marijuana plantation when you get back in them thar woods, the extra rounds of the G19 might be welcome.

For dealing with four-legged problems, either the G21 or 686 will do, loaded with heavy bullets at maximum velocity.

I would consider the G21 to be the "happy medium" with a spare magazine.  27 rounds of .45acp gives you lots of ability to resolve any 2-legged problem a typical solo human should be capable of resolving without secretsquirrelninja training, and .45acp can stop 4-legged predators.
--Lysander Spooner

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 05:53:11 PM »
Might I suggest the G21G(guisarme) then? All that firepower plus a hook for pulling riders off their mounts.