Author Topic: OK computer guys, looking for a new desktop  (Read 3880 times)

220_SWIFT

• friend
OK computer guys, looking for a new desktop
« on: April 15, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »
And I have LOTS of questions.  Any and all advice is welcome. 

It is getting time to replace my desktop.  It simply is no longer up to the tasks that I ask of it.  Currently I have:

Dell Vostro
Windows XP Pro
Intel 2160 @1.8 GHz
1.99 GB Ram
75 GB Hard Drive that currently has 57 GB on it. (After removing 14 GB last week)

I use Quickbooks Pro 2010, with Avalara Avatax running with it.  My current setup barely meets the minimum requirements for Quickbooks, let alone Avatax and everything running in the background.  Normal activities are fine.  But start working in Quickbooks and the brakes get applied hard and fast. 

The requirements for Quickbooks are

At least 2.0GHz processor; 2.4GHz recommended
At least 1 GB RAM for single user, 2 GB RAM recommended for multiple users

Is processor speed the same, or do different processors work overly better than others?  I noticed quite a selection out there.  A Quickbooks tech once told me some processors work better with accounting programs than others, even though they are rated at the same speed.  Any truth to this?  Also, right now we run Quickbooks on two separate computers, and backup/restore between the two machines.  Sometime within the next year we will be setting it up on a network.  Should that play into computer selection now in any way?  The other computer is an Asus Essentio Desktop with Windows 7, and I believe it has the i5 processor 2.8 GHz?/8 GB Ram/1 TB hard drive.  I am going off of memory, but I know for sure the RAM and Hard drive are correct.

Also, I was thinking about getting an external hard drive now.  Then moving stuff from my desktop to the external drive so that it is simpler when switching over to a new desktop.  Does that sound feasible?  Also, what would be a good one to get?  Any brand better than the others?  Is it is as simple as plug and play, or is there more to it?  Last time I burned all documents/pictures/etc onto a CD and transferred it that way.  It took a very long time.  And now, the DVD Rom I have will not burn a CD, and has not been working for quite a while.  It still reads fine, but will not write.  The external seemed like the easiest way to transfer files.

Anything else I am missing?  Just looking for some general input.  It has been quite a while since I have upgraded desktops, and there seem to be a ton more options available this go round.  Thanks for any help.

coppertales

• friend
Re: OK computer guys, looking for a new desktop
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:44:53 PM »
I just bought a ZT from Costco.....700 bucks.  It  has an AMD 3.2 hz processor, 16 g memory, ant 2 T hard drive.  I love it.......The best thing is ZT does not put all that propriatory crap on their computers.  Mine has Windows 7 home....chris3

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »
The specs on your Asus should be a good place to compare for a new one.

I would think using the external drive to move things to the new system should work. Then you could hook the external up to the network and map it for Quickbooks.

I don't know much about the Brand name systems but I would think most systems with multi core cpus and 4+ gig of memory running Win 7 should do about all you would want and then some.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:48:40 PM »
Dell outlet.  I got a screaming deal on a 2.6 GHz quad core machine with a 500 Gb drive, Win 7 64 bit, a pretty healthy vid card, and 4 Gb RAM.  After adding additional RAM (to 8 Gb) and a couple other goodies I wanted, I was still under $700 and the thing frikkin hauls.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 08:52:53 PM »
Is processor speed the same, or do different processors work overly better than others?  I noticed quite a selection out there.  A Quickbooks tech once told me some processors work better with accounting programs than others, even though they are rated at the same speed.  Any truth to this?  Also, right now we run Quickbooks on two separate computers, and backup/restore between the two machines.  Sometime within the next year we will be setting it up on a network.  Should that play into computer selection now in any way?  The other computer is an Asus Essentio Desktop with Windows 7, and I believe it has the i5 processor 2.8 GHz?/8 GB Ram/1 TB hard drive.  I am going off of memory, but I know for sure the RAM and Hard drive are correct.

A lot of the newer processors are dual-core, quad-core, and so on. That means that one processor acts like 2 or 4, or more. So a quad-core processor could be running at 1.8 GHz, and run circles around an old single-core chip. I'm probably leaving out a lot of important factors I don't know about.

The i5 mentioned above is of the multi-core variety.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:51:53 PM »
Tiger Direct has some screaming refurb deals.  I would assume the same goes for Newegg.  If you are sufficiently geek, build it yourself.  That way you get exactly what you want.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 10:05:44 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »
Also, I was thinking about getting an external hard drive now.  Then moving stuff from my desktop to the external drive so that it is simpler when switching over to a new desktop.  Does that sound feasible?  Also, what would be a good one to get?  Any brand better than the others?  Is it is as simple as plug and play, or is there more to it?  Last time I burned all documents/pictures/etc onto a CD and transferred it that way.  It took a very long time.  And now, the DVD Rom I have will not burn a CD, and has not been working for quite a while.  It still reads fine, but will not write.  The external seemed like the easiest way to transfer files.

It is that simple.  I've always had good success with Western Digital.  If you are moving the hard drive around a lot or taking it with you places consider getting one that is powered directly from the USB port and doesn't need to be plugged into an outlet.  A good sized portable external can be had for less than $100.  Like the 500 GB Western Digital My Passport here.  This is exactly what I got for deployment and I've been very happy with it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »
You can hit 2 Tb for around a c-note now.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
You can get these cheep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9u2X_HnNU8

How have I never seen this? That is unbelievable. Love the torches next to the laptops.  :laugh:

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 02:38:51 PM »
Thank you very much for all the input.  As for the youtube computer pitch, I think I'll pass. LOL 

First thing I am going to do is get the external hard drive, and start getting files backed up to it.  Then I will start shopping.  It is much nicer to go through this process at my leisure, as opposed to my computer just died and I have a weeks worth of work backed up. LOL 

Thanks again for all the input, and if I have any more questions I will direct them here.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »
The requirements for Quickbooks are

At least 2.0GHz processor; 2.4GHz recommended
At least 1 GB RAM for single user, 2 GB RAM recommended for multiple users

Holy crap.  That's some serious bloat.  I remember running QB on a Pentium 90.  Have they added anything that actually justifies the mess it's become?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 07:30:36 PM »
I saw this thread in the stack just now, and thought we were talking about Radiohead.

CSM Kersh

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 07:08:57 PM »

You might like this:

Inspiron 570Market
Value4 $563.99
Total Savings $59.00
Dell Price $504.99
As low as $20 / month1
 Apply | Learn More

Total savings includes:
Dell Inspiron 570 price includes $59 instant discount.Estimated Ship Date:4/21/2011Customize Add to Cart Processor  AMD Athlonâ„¢ II X2 245 (2.9GHz/1MB cache)
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Memory2 6GB2 DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
Hard Drive  1000GB3 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
Video Card Integrated ATI Radeon HD4200 Graphics
Warranty 1 Year Basic Service Plan

There's a lot of change between XP and 7 but not the complaints Vista got.  Order the Beltin easy link cable to transfer file directly from one machine to another or, if you've got an external HD, & can work with that was well. 

Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 12:47:57 PM »
I saw some pretty serious refurbs at either geeks.com or ecost.com (I think it was geeks) recently for about $200.
"It's good, though..."