Author Topic: House Republicans to McKinney... SNAP!  (Read 2055 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
House Republicans to McKinney... SNAP!
« on: April 04, 2006, 08:17:05 AM »
WASHINGTON - House Republicans pushed a resolution Tuesday commending the Capitol police force for professionalism after a confrontation between an officer and Democratic Rep. Cynthia McKinney.

"I don't think it's fair to attack the Capitol Police and I think it's time that we show our support for them," said Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., a sponsor of the measure. Ignoring a police officer's order to stop or hitting one "is never OK," McHenry said of the incident, which has exacerbated partisan tensions in the House.

Last week, McKinney had an argument with a uniformed police officer as she sought to enter a House office building. The officer did not recognize her. She refused his order to stop and struck him.

McKinney says she took action in self defense after the officer "inappropriately touched" her.

A spokesman for the congresswoman did not immediately respond Tuesday to a reporter's request for comment on the GOP measure.

The six-term Georgia Democrat says the issue is not about whether to obey a police officer's order, whether she hit him or the fact that she was not wearing the lapel pin that identifies members of Congress.

Her lawyers have said that a series of confrontations between McKinney and U.S. Capitol and White House law enforcement officers who don't recognize her points to a pattern.

"The issue is racial profiling," McKinney, who is black, told CNN Monday.

The resolution being introduced Tuesday came as McKinney awaited a prosecutor's decision on whether to press any criminal charges against her. The Capitol Police on Monday sought an arrest warrant by turning over their investigation of the incident to U.S. Attorney Kenneth L. Wainstein.

The measure put forward Tuesday, which is co-sponsored by Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, R-Fla., would not specifically mention McKinney or the confrontation, McHenry said.

Instead, sponsors said, it would commend the Capitol Police for their professionalism and recognize the challenge of protecting the vast Capitol campus from terrorism and other threats while keeping it open to tourists.

"Every day they exhibit honor, courtesy and professionalism," Diaz-Balart said in a statement.

McKinney says that has not been her experience. She says Capitol Police officers have a long history of failing to recognize her and asking for identification  a pattern she says is racist and in any case highlights a security problem in one of the most well-guarded buildings in the country.

McKinney has drawn little support from her House colleagues, particularly Democrats who are launching an election-year campaign that revolves around the party's commitment to national security.

Her lawyer, James Myart Jr., issued a statement on Friday saying several members of Congress would join McKinney at a press conference on Friday at Howard University.

None did. D.C. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton issued a statement of concern about the incident and urged the parties to come to an agreement. A spokesman for Rep. Mel Watt, D-N.C., chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, said he has no comment.

McHenry, who at 30 is the youngest member of Congress, said he is routinely stopped by Capitol Police and asked for identification.

"When I'm not wearing my pin, I am always stopped," McHenry said in a telephone interview. "I accept that as a due course of security."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 09:34:48 AM »
The race card!
Racism is alive and well thanks to people like McKinney.

client32

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 09:49:56 AM »
The six-term Georgia Democrat says the issue is not about whether to obey a police officer's order, whether she hit him or the fact that she was not wearing the lapel pin that identifies members of Congress.
Then what is the issue?  My bet is on Ego.  I know that she says racial profiling.

Her lawyers have said that a series of confrontations between McKinney and U.S. Capitol and White House law enforcement officers who don't recognize her
I wonder if this was nothing but a stunt to get public media attention.

"When I'm not wearing my pin, I am always stopped," McHenry said in a telephone interview. "I accept that as a due course of security."
Just for the visual:

Yep, it's racial profiling and nothing else.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:20:56 AM »
Yaaaaaak!!!
I don't know which is more stupid; McKinney (just in general) or the House wasting time writing up such a resolution.
Just prosecute the ignorant bitch and be done with it!

Kestrel

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 11:09:45 AM »
This woman is an absolute joke - and a bad one. You should see her district lines in Georgia. A clearer case of individual gerrymandering could not be made.

She's not qualified to be a housekeeper at a cheap motel.

I remember when Clinton was in office, she just about wet her pants every time his name was mentioned. She was like Pavlov's dog. I remember one time, she was on the front row at one of Clinton's state of the union speeches. She was on the front row, because she had waited outside for FOUR hours, to get in there. When he passed by, you could almost see the urine running down her leg, as she was clawing and clamboring at him, with that drunk, delirious smile stretching across her deranged face. She's a reactionary. A screaming reactionary.

She believe's she's entitled.

"I know my rights!" "I know my rights!"

I've long held that she is deranged, in the most clinical way.

The moronic Atlanta politicians are like "The Emporer's New Clothes", with many of them deserving imprisonment. Everybody knows they're lunatics and charlatans, except for their lunatic constituents. And I mean that quite literally.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 02:29:14 PM »
After seeing that picture, I don't want to touch her appropriately or otherwise.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 02:41:54 PM »
McKinney says that has not been her experience. She says Capitol Police officers have a long history of failing to recognize her and asking for identification  a pattern she says is racist and in any case highlights a security problem in one of the most well-guarded buildings in the country.
First I've read of that comment. If she's stopped how can that be a security problem?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kestrel

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 07:18:11 PM »
Quote from: fistful
After seeing that picture, I don't want to touch her appropriately or otherwise.
Haha! A lot of folks genuinely think she was high, at a recent press conference here, when a lawyer did her yapping. She's a trainwreck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 07:51:20 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Strings

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 07:57:35 PM »
fistful, I keep getting the same thought very time I see her picture: "When did Jim Hensen start designing Representatives?"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 08:15:24 PM »
Quote from: Kestrel
This woman is an absolute joke - and a bad one.
To paraphrase Mark Twain:  

Suppose you were a congressperson.  Now suppose you were an absolute joke - and a bad one.  But I repeat myself.

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 08:25:13 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
I don't understand how all these crackheads keep getting into D.C. politics.

Maybe it's one of those things where my brain deliberately dis-comprehends in order to avoid self injury.
The same reason why all the Greek Gods had utterly messed up existences. People like to feel superior to those who are in power over them. If the people cannot make themselves better, then they will make their representatives even worse. What you see in Washington is one step below the common denominator in the place the person was elected.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 10:56:16 AM »

no wonder the officer did not recognize her

she's a master of disguise
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 11:11:27 AM »
Too bad she probably can't spell the word vacuous, given that she defines it...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »
When she lost her re-election bid a few years back, she blamed the JOOOOOOOS!!

What a sorry excuse for a woman.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 11:23:52 AM »
She says the issue is her recognition.  My translation of that is she wants to be famous enough that everybody knows who she is and treats her like a queen.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

client32

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 11:50:53 AM »
She says the issue is her recognition.
Just so I understand what she is saying.  If you aren't able to have a 100% positive recognition of all 435 member of the house and 100 senators, then the capitol police should at least recognize minorities?
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 12:37:29 PM »
Quote from: client32
She says the issue is her recognition.
Just so I understand what she is saying.  If you aren't able to have a 100% positive recognition of all 435 member of the house and 100 senators, then the capitol police should at least recognize minorities?
Pretty much.

Greg

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 07:20:57 PM »
Blackburn, I know I'm not down with the latest thing, thank God, but you do have some strange drifts.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 07:32:37 PM »
Suppose you were a crackhead.  Now suppose you were a congressperson.  But I repeat myself.

Strings

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 03:28:49 AM »
ya know, that picture DOES give new life to "congresscritter"...