Author Topic: Who is this Trump guy, anyway?  (Read 10844 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Who is this Trump guy, anyway?
« on: April 17, 2011, 05:16:37 PM »
So according to some poll or another, Trump is the GOP's 2012 presidential front-runner. Who is this guy? All I know about him is that he's famous for being rich and firing people.  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Who is this Trump guy, anyway?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 05:20:55 PM »
Yep. He's a real estate investor. Famous for being rich and famous.

He may be a conservative. He doesn't have a track record proving that to me, so he will NEVER get my vote.

Words are insufficient. I will not vote for anyone without actions to back up their words. (Unlike many Obama voters.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »
his track record is such that i wouldn't let him care for my dog for the weekend
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 06:08:45 PM »
Trump is the GOP's 2012 presidential front-runner. Who is this guy?

Donald Turnip?  I don't see the attraction, myself.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »
He won't make it. The early front runners are never in the running when it comes time for the primaries.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »
wait till the dirt starts surfacing
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 06:34:13 PM »
I don't think he'll really run; I think this is a publicity stunt. [barf]

Addendum; every time I hear him refered to as "The" Donald  ......  I inevitably think of Donald Duck .... who I think actually WOULD  make a better president than either "THE" Donald OR Obama! [popcorn] [tinfoil] :lol: :lol: ;/ =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »
his track record is such that i wouldn't let him care for my dog for the weekend

He might make a wig out of its fur  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 06:51:16 PM »
I predict that Trump will be 2012's Ron Paul, and Alan West will be 2012's Fred Thompson.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 07:09:08 PM »
I don't think he'll really run; I think this is a publicity stunt. [barf]

I sure hope that is the case.  The whole thing is ridiculous to me.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 07:20:13 PM »
He's certainly not shy about speaking about what he thinks.  In some ways, that is refreshing considering the mealy mouthed congresscritters we have at the moment.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 07:37:46 PM »
And that's why he won't make the final cut, Grampster. Nobody can say exactly what he or she thinks and get enough of the vote to be elected.

This is the carnival phase of the 2012 election process (not to be confused with the circus phase that will come in September of 2012).

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 08:47:29 PM »
He believes in declaring bankrupcy a lot.....not really the guy I'd want with the national pursestrings.....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »
his specialty is leaving other folks holding the bag while he skates with the cash

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 09:07:16 PM »
I predict that Trump will be 2012's Ron Paul, and Alan West will be 2012's Fred Thompson.

I believe Trump will be 2012's Ross Perot.  He won't be the Republican nominee, so his ego will demand that he run as an independent, thereby guaranteeing Obama's re-election.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 09:14:25 PM »
Don't forget that Trump loves eminent domain, specifically eminent domain for the purpose of siezing other people's property to expand his businesses. You know, the kind of *expletive deleted*it that got legalized in 2005 in Kelo v. City of New London.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »
I believe Trump will be 2012's Ross Perot.  He won't be the Republican nominee, so his ego will demand that he run as an independent, thereby guaranteeing Obama's re-election.

Ross might have had a shot if he would have picked a living VP.

I'd like to see a good businessman running. Trump isn't it.

Trump, Palin, Romni... I'm thinking O doesn't need to worry about packing.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »
I believe Trump will be 2012's Ross Perot.  He won't be the Republican nominee, so his ego will demand that he run as an independent, thereby guaranteeing Obama's re-election.
The only thing he has going for him so far is ragging on Obama about the birther stuff.  Ross Perot was an idiot, but he crafted a much better image earlier in the campaigning than Trump is capable of.  I also don't think he has anywhere near the same chance to attract Conservative voters.

Also remember that Perot ran while Bush I was running for his 2nd term and people were pissed about Bush going back on his word about taxes.  We are not looking at the same situation at all.  

Trump might, just might, have a shot of out-doing Ross Perot if McCain got the nomination again.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 10:59:09 PM »
Trump might, just might, have a shot of out-doing Ross Perot if McCain got the nomination again.

I'm usually not one to predict the demise of either party*, but I think the GOP would face some serious desertion, were it to run McCain again.

*The major parties have survived a number of tumultuous upheavals, beginning with the Civil War. Sadly, I can't expect either of them to perish in my lifetime.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 11:14:58 PM »

I'm tempted to say "what lunatic would run McCain?".  But, I thought the same about Ill. Gov. Rod Blagogevich, and Senator Empty Suit.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 11:58:48 PM »
Why in the name of hell and Oprah would they rerun McCain?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 12:12:28 AM »
Why in the name of hell and Oprah would they rerun McCain?

Why, they have to maintain their rep as The Stupid Party (the reason they ran McCain, a failed 2000 contender, in 2008).

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 03:33:23 AM »
I wouldn't bet the farm that Obama gets a chance at a second term.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 12:22:19 PM »
The Donald is just going to try and rough up, damage and distract Obama while the R's figure out who to run for real.

Palin, Romney, Trump, Paul will all be distractions floated to draw fire away from the eventual real candidate.

I saw an interview with Trump where he categorically stated he would not run if it meant drawing votes away from the Republican nominee, causing Obama to win. We'll see if he is a man of his word.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 01:54:31 PM »
Trump is a gadfly whose utility is to force Obama, a fellow egomaniac, into doing and saying stupid and self-destructive things.  That said, Trump is in danger of becoming a parody of The Ugly Mega-Capitalist.  His remarks about Romney--mine ($$$$) is bigger than yours--are foolish and counter-productive; the last thing we need is a competition in the GOP of who's richer.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.