Author Topic: Who is this Trump guy, anyway?  (Read 10842 times)

Waitone

• friend
Re: Who is this Trump guy, anyway?
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 05:08:34 PM »
Sometime after the last election one of Obama campaign guru in an unguarded and besotted moment confessed that McCain was the perfect candidate for Obama to run against.  He was their choice because it would be so easy to compare and contrast a young and dynamic candidate with an old and sedentary retread.  Then McCain put a stake in his chances by reverting to his RINO roots by supporting TARP.  I don't think republicans will attempt the same stunt this time around.  What liberty loving Americans have to worry about is what new form of stupidity republicans will create.  Trump is saying all the right things at this point but his past actions speak louder.  Problem is no one else in the republican field is measurably better off.   
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 05:27:26 PM »
Is he really saying all the right things?  All I've heard is birther stuff, but I haven't been looking either. 

IMO, what really sunk McCain was when he made a great big deal about going back to D.C. to "fix" the economy and all he did was sit around and support the same TARP bill that was already out there.  If that was all he was going to do, why make a big deal of it.  IMO, McCain's campaign people were idiots.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 05:34:17 PM »

IMO, what really sunk McCain was when he made a great big deal about going back to D.C. to "fix" the economy and all he did was sit around and support the same TARP bill that was already out there.  If that was all he was going to do, why make a big deal of it.  IMO, McCain's campaign people were idiots. his 2005 Amnesty push.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 10:12:24 AM »
You could have just typed that in a lot less time, but you completely miss my point anyway. 

McCain was running fairly close to Obama up until September/October after selecting Palin as the VP candidate.  It seemed to me that something happened in there that pretty much took wind out of the sails and the gap widened.  It also might have been when McCain's campaign people started setting setting up Palin also. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 10:21:48 AM »
It also might have been when McCain's campaign people the media started setting setting up trash-talking Palin also.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »
What killed McCain wasn't Palin, it was his reaction to the financial crisis.  That was his "hero" moment, and he blew it completely.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 10:54:08 AM »
What liberty loving Americans have to worry about is what new form of stupidity republicans will create. 

Something like Romney/Huckabee '08?  That would just about make me gouge my eyes out.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 10:59:30 AM »
Something like Romney/Huckabee '08?  That would just about make me gouge my eyes out.

I could swallow my bile and vote for Huckabee. Can't do that for flip-flopping, socialized healthcare loving Romney.

Of note, ANYONE is not better than Obama. If we elect someone who will not fight to fix this country but will instead "compromise" with the left so we just die slower, we're done. In that case, I'd prefer the people clearly understand who is responsible so the chances that we repeat the collapse are smaller. So, a "compromiser" is worse than Obama, in my opinion.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 11:50:01 AM »

Of note, ANYONE is not better than Obama. If we elect someone who will not fight to fix this country but will instead "compromise" with the left so we just die slower, we're done. In that case, I'd prefer the people clearly understand who is responsible so the chances that we repeat the collapse are smaller. So, a "compromiser" is worse than Obama, in my opinion.

Emphasized for all active lobbyists/politicians/GOP-committeemen on this board.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 12:10:41 PM »
It seemed to me that something happened in there that pretty much took wind out of the sails and the gap widened.

The Great Depression of 2008     :facepalm:

a "compromiser" is worse than Obama, in my opinion

I'm starting to think that we are way better off with a Republican controlled congress and a Democrat in the White House.  That way at least the R's have somebody to argue against.  Can you imagine an R-congress accepting the things from Clinton that they did from Bush?  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »
 :facepalm:

No, we don't NEED a compromise.
What we NEED is to control all three branches of government.  And by that I mean CONSERVATIVES need to take over.
Right now all the (supposedly) conservative repugs can do is propose and get into rhubarbs with a demonrat controled senate and executive branch.  Although this warms the cockles of the Rush Limbaughs and Sean Hannities and their ilk, it won't really do much.
With our national debt now 14.3 trillion we don't need to compromise with the demorat jackwagons who think we still need to spend.  Even the Ryan plan will NOT bring that ever increasing hyperbolic curve of destruction down to a level ---- the rate still goes up, just at a shallower angle.  Thanks a heap, Mr. Ryan.  Your heart is in the right place but your aim is closer to the family jewels. :angel: :lol:
We need some fire in the gut utterly ruthless conservatives who'll go in there and massively cut wherever they see too much $$$$$$$ being spent -- which is everywhere.
The demorats will always whine about hurting people, "making war on women,"  making war on working people .... whatever.
Will cuts hurt?  Yea.  
But this nation is on a precipice.  It is GOING TO FALL.  Like a house of cards, pretty soon the last ¢ will be signed off and that will be the last card and the whole thing will tumble down.
That will hurt three hundred million people.
Severely.
Controling the pain is the only rational way to do it.

Now, where are we going to get rational people to run this Godforsaken government? ? ? ? ? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 01:12:26 PM »
I could swallow my bile and vote for Huckabee. Can't do that for flip-flopping, socialized healthcare loving Romney.

yes!!!
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2011, 07:32:39 PM »
There may be an alternative to Huckabee.....

http://www.rickperry.org/

For a guy who said he isn't running for POTUS, he's sure been doing a lot of fundraising lately....

If it ends up Romney/Perry, I may have to seceed.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »
Huckabee can't win the 2012 Election.  An ordained S. Baptist minister is not going to be President, like it or not.  And, by the way, the man's a RINO, soft where he can't be soft.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »
What about Jindel from Louisiana?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2011, 08:50:44 PM »
Jindal: too young to make the run, and obligated to finish his gubernatorial term.  A comer for the future, like Rubio and West, among others.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2011, 09:35:54 PM »
So according to some poll or another, Trump is the GOP's 2012 presidential front-runner. Who is this guy? All I know about him is that he's famous for being rich and firing people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump

I can't stand hm really...but I have to say that his biography is more impressive than I expected it to be.  Granted,, he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, like a lot of previous Presidents, but he has had some lows in life that he came out of pretty well.  That, and he is a pragmatist...I like that. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2011, 10:34:04 PM »
Rush made a comment today about Obama.  Obama wants the taxes to go back to Bill Clinton's level.  Rush says OK, do that.  But if you do, then produce the same budget, the same spending, the same government bureaus and the same number of gov't employees in the bureaucracy.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2011, 10:44:24 PM »
Rush made a comment today about Obama.  Obama wants the taxes to go back to Bill Clinton's level.  Rush says OK, do that.  But if you do, then produce the same budget, the same spending, the same government bureaus and the same number of gov't employees in the bureaucracy.

Yup.

And I'll ask him to bring the same testosterone level. (Let's be nice, and just request the Clinton level of masculinity. Not the full-on Janet Reno - that would be too much to expect of any one man.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2011, 12:07:44 AM »
Trump is a loose cannon, but right now he is pointing at Obama and I am ok with that.

He is saying a few things that Conservatives need to be saying. About the birth cert for one. Also stuff like "America is not great right now. If I become president, no one will be laughing." That kind of stuff about makes me happy in my pants. Watch the Vieda interview. It was gold, and is a large part of why he surged in the last two weeks.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2017, 04:38:20 PM »
I'm just bumping this thread because it showed up during a search and it's hilarious to read what opinions were ~6 years ago...

I had forgotten we discussed him during the last election season.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »
Trump is a loose cannon, but right now he is pointing at Obama and I am ok with that.

He is saying a few things that Conservatives need to be saying. About the birth cert for one. Also stuff like "America is not great right now. If I become president, no one will be laughing." That kind of stuff about makes me happy in my pants. Watch the Vieda interview. It was gold, and is a large part of why he surged in the last two weeks.

Oops.

bob
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:16:14 PM by Ben »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2017, 04:51:11 PM »
Man, am I glad I didn't post to the topic back when it was created.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2017, 05:17:12 PM »
I'm just bumping this thread because it showed up during a search and it's hilarious to read what opinions were ~6 years ago...

My favorite is the one about Romney not being the nominee in 2012. I wish that one had come true.  =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2017, 05:32:30 PM »
I didn't even know Trump ran before 2016.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine