Author Topic: Moar evidence of stupidity in our society  (Read 2522 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Moar evidence of stupidity in our society
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:27:42 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-venice-shooting-20110418,0,6246677.story?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk3%7C210169

The shooting occurred amid a "flash mob" crowd that was organized at least in part over Twitter, Vasquez said.....

About 6:30 p.m., six to eight shots rang out at 17th Avenue and Ocean Front Walk, Vasquez said. The victim ran half a block to an alley where he collapsed, Vasquez said.

The crowd scattered through the neighborhood, with some hiding in nearby shops. The bus stops were mobbed with people trying to flee by public transportation....

How many IQ points does one need before realizing that fleeing via public transportation involves standing there waiting until the bus arrives? :facepalm:

But then some of the other comments collected from folks who were there almost make that evacuation plan seem reasonable.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Moar evidence of stupidity in our society
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:34:24 AM »
*sigh*

And people running backwards so they won't miss the show...

Can we please have some good stories...

So I don't totally lose faith in mankind?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »
Screw the evolution debate, maybe we should be talking about natural selection in the human race (or lack of it).
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 04:11:26 PM »
. . . Can we please have some good stories... So I don't totally lose faith in mankind?
I was taught at an early age to distance myself from trouble.

Several decades ago back in Chicago my mother was going to the bank to cash a check, and suddenly a swarm of police cars - lights & sirens-  pulled in and surrounded the building. While other people were standing aound to see what was happening, without stopping, Mom pulled out of the parking lot, drove a few hundred feet, turned down a side street (to put some buildings between her and whatever was happening), and went home. She wanted none of what was going on, and had the presence of mind to figure that if bullets started to fly, it would be good to have some buildings between her and the shooters.

Postscript: Mom went back to bank the next day. She asked the teller "What happened?" and the other teller began laughing. It just so happened that the teller she was at had transferred from another branch, where the "panic button" was in a different location - she hit it by accident. And a couple of dozen cops responded, assuming there was an armed robbery in progress. Oops.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 04:19:33 PM »
I didn't even get past the photo:

Crowds of people watch as members of the Calypso Tumblers perform along the Venice Beach boardwalk Sunday morning, near the spot where a man would be shot later in the evening. (Rick Loomis, Los Angeles Times / April 17, 2011)

Written media should NOT hire people who failed high school English. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 05:54:03 PM »
What?  You want the photog to go back and get a shot of the yellow crime scene tape when he already has a shot of something totally unrelated taking place "near" where the shooting happened?

Darned picky if you ask me.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 07:28:18 PM »
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2014824414_deputyshooting21m.html

From the article:

Ourada had a criminal history that included 14 arrests in the past seven years and convictions for theft, burglary, possession of stolen property, drug violations, attempting to elude police and reckless driving.

Despite those convictions, Ourada "was not a bad person," said Margaret Thompson, who said she knew both Ourada and the female passenger.

"It doesn't seem right that they shot him," she said. "He just liked stealing cars and having fun."

Emphasis added.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »
They ought to subject crowds to common sense reasonable restrictions.

(What?  you mean that's unConstitutional?  Where's it say that?)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.