Author Topic: Montana Carry update, straight from the horse's mouth  (Read 23359 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Montana Carry update, straight from the horse's mouth
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2011, 11:05:10 AM »
I just sent him an email asking him to reconsider and countered all of the points given in the veto.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »
Is he planning a presidential run?

Or something...?

IIRC he is term limited out as governor.

@#$%^&*! "Blue Dog" Democrats  :mad:

Liars and Hypocrites all!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2011, 12:44:45 PM »
Can the legislature come back and override?

If your papers do "comments from the community" and such write a detailed, polite point by point refutation of his veto.  Also write a letter to the editor.

Get all involved to do so, again, polite; address him, subtly, like he's an addled elder or slow child.

Make it clear that he is not only wrong but that he didn't read the bill.  Public humiliation is a just dessert.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2011, 02:16:18 PM »
I also just emailed the NRA ILA asking them to quickly and publicly revoke their endorsement of Gov. Schweitzer.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
lol..  got an email back from the NRA that they would review his endorsement when he is up for reelection.  I responded that he is term limiting out and if they were on the ball they would revoke the endorsement right now to show they are watching events and care about Montana.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2011, 03:40:31 PM »
I'm so upset right now that I couldn't write even a marginally polite letter.

Besides, I don't think he's open to changing his mind.  He either did this because:
a) to spite the Republican legislature that he's been scrapping with the last four months,
b) the cops got to him with an "oh my gosh we won't be safe" campaign

=(

Considering my options:

1) move to Wyoming  :P

2) open carry everywhere (pretty much what I've been doing anyway, except sometimes in Billings when I don't have time to deal with any possible hassle)

3) get a snubbie and fanny pack carry (legal - not "clothing")
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2011, 04:01:57 PM »
Did you have the votes for an override?

Can the Legislature call themselves back?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »
Did you have the votes for an override?

Can the Legislature call themselves back?

I don't think we do, this thing barely squeaked by the Senate.  We do not have a super majority on this..  29/21 in the Senate and 69/29 in the House.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:15:52 PM by 41magsnub »

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »
Better make it an election criteria for the new Governor if you can then.  Clear "Will of the People" and all that.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2011, 05:45:41 PM »
I and four other local folks have sent polite e-mails and made polite phone calls. I've also been composing a letter to the Belgrade newspaper and the Bozeman Daily. Since I've had other letters published, it shouldn't be hard, especially on such a hot button issue.

Makes me sort of glad I went and picked up my permit the other day. I hate that they're needed, though. =|
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »
By the way, please don't take my "you should" posts like I'm telling you something you don't know or anything. 

I was all excited about this bill and am projecting my anger at your gov.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2011, 05:52:46 PM »
Oh, of course. Trust me, there are now a LOT of pissed off people, and some in the most shocking places. Today, I bumped into people talking about HB 271 at Macy's (cash register ladies), at the hospital (staff and patients), at the grocery store (manager talking to a few employees), and at the gas station (other gent pumping gas mentioned it to me and how mad he was).

We're PO'd, we're mobile, and we're motivated to get this governor looking like the backstabbing fool he is. He is not be a very popular person between this and the medical marijuana "renovation" bill (SB423, a repeal wearing a dress, makes 5ng/mL THC in blood a DUI offense - that amount is akin to having a smoke six to eight weeks previously and having none after that), and the media has already been getting plenty of articles and TV spots out there about him.

Schweitzer went from a solid B+ in my book to an F with those two actions. :mad:

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
By the way, please don't take my "you should" posts like I'm telling you something you don't know or anything. 

I was all excited about this bill and am projecting my anger at your gov.

You can project all the anger at him that you want, as far as I'm concerned  >:D

41magsnub

• friend

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2011, 12:50:44 AM »
I just edited the Governor's wikipedia page..  wonder how long it will last?

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2011, 12:52:10 AM »
As I think about this more and re-read the veto document I am working myself into an unneeded low level rage.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2011, 12:53:36 AM »

Very well put.

Schweitzer claims to be opposed to gun control[13] and is a vehement critic of the REAL ID legislation.[23] However, his veto of Montana House Bill 271 brings his gun rights credentials into serious question.http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2011/AmdHtmH/HB0271GovVeto.pdf

PTK

• friends
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2011, 12:59:09 AM »
PTK..  was this you?   http://www.congress.org/congressorg/bio/userletter/?letter_id=6879091601&content_dir=politicsol

No. Now my letter seems like crap. :lol:

Seriously though, mine reads a heck of a lot like that, but no, that's not me. :)

Also, seriously, go do something else and relax. You DO NOT need the stress, my friend.  =|

It will last, because it is factually correct and with a reference attached.  ;)

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2011, 01:04:09 AM »
actually..  it is gone already

PTK

• friends
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2011, 01:08:10 AM »
EDIT: Dang, the wiki page is gone, I thought you meant your low-level rage. =|
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 06:13:17 AM by PTK »

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2011, 05:08:13 AM »
I just edited the Governor's wikipedia page..  wonder how long it will last?

Approximately thirteen and eleven minutes, respectively, to the two edits. The cited reason for removing the statement was "original research."  ;/  I'm not really sure how listing someone's on-public-record veto as governor counts as original research. In that case we better delete everything on wiki that is included from public record.

Here's where they removed the note about his recent veto, twice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Brian_Schweitzer&diff=428702714&oldid=428701789
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Brian_Schweitzer&diff=428701448&oldid=428700341
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:15:37 AM by kgbsquirrel »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2011, 09:21:44 AM »
Does he still have that old gun on the wall in his state office?

Can we get him arrested for that  ???

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2011, 09:24:11 AM »
Also, what would it take to organize an open carry march in Helena?  =|

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2011, 09:51:36 AM »
http://helenair.com/news/article_84e6ab88-7b94-11e0-b3c1-001cc4c002e0.html?mode=comments

These comments in the Helena paper are just disappointing as hell.