Author Topic: IED in Brownsville  (Read 7223 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
IED in Brownsville
« on: April 25, 2011, 11:07:09 PM »
Normally, you'd expect an IED on US soil to be big news.

http://www.krgv.com/news/local/story/Investigators-Still-Trying-To-Find-Out-Who-Left/HqlQ4bpSvEKJVsd5JC8PCg.cspx
BROWNSVILLE - Police say the IED found on Highway 77 near the FM 1732 exit in Brownsville was a homemade device and not functional.

Authorities say the pineapple grenade casing was modified to be an IED.  They say the device was poorly constructed and would have caused minimal damage if it had exploded. There also was no detonator on the device.

Police say no one was in any real danger at the time the explosive was found and the expressway was shut down. The device was safely detonated by a bomb squad robot.

Authorities are now trying to figure out how the grenade got there.

A driver heading south on Expressway 77 saw the device Sunday evening on the shoulder and called police. Police are talking to the driver to try to gather any more information about the device.

The FBI and ATF are assisting in the investigation.

If anyone has any information about the device, call Brownsville Crime Stoppers at 956-546-TIPS.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: IED in Brownsville
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 11:11:28 PM »
Failed home-made bombs are not newsworthy.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 11:12:07 PM »
I wonder...

Of course with the ATF's track record sure it could have exploded if we install a detonator and some explosives and a trigger mechanism. Sort of like how they like to define a machine gun.

Probably just a kids toy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:39:37 PM »
Authorities say the pineapple grenade casing was modified to be an IED.  They say the device was poorly constructed and would have caused minimal damage if it had exploded. There also was no detonator on the device.

This reads to me like someone took an deactivated grenade and tried to reactivate it, and failed miserly.

As they note, it wouldn't have done much even if it hadn't been a dud.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 03:56:34 AM »
As they note, it wouldn't have done much even if it hadn't been a dud.

It might not have, but those Lite-Brites in Boston didn't do anything at all and look at the resulting mess.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 06:40:33 AM »
It might not have, but those Lite-Brites in Boston didn't do anything at all and look at the resulting mess.
What a bunch of dumbasses...  ;/

:laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:02:27 AM »
We are now at the point that nothing even needs to explode, catch fire, or be destroyed at all for us to panic and spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of cumulative man-hours on resolving it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:27:26 AM »
We are now at the point that nothing even needs to explode, catch fire, or be destroyed at all for us to panic and spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of cumulative man-hours on resolving it.
IIRC, some years back the Brits cordoned off an area because someone saw a .22 rimfire round by the curb. (Don't remember if it was live or a spent casing.)

Never built a "bomb" with the intent of harming anyone or doing damage, but some of the stuff I did as a kid with pyrotechnics would probably draw the ire of authorities today.  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 09:13:41 AM »
Never built a "bomb" with the intent of harming anyone or doing damage, but some of the stuff I did as a kid with pyrotechnics would probably draw the ire of authorities today.  :O
Ditto...  :angel:

Of course, I never did get too exotic with the chemicals. I know if you make a box out of 6 exploding targets with an M80 inside as a detonator and then wrap it real good with duct tape it will clear about a 3' circle of heavy grass, clean down to the dirt. It was awesome. :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:17:50 AM by 280plus »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 09:21:26 AM »
You mean like the principal of your school discovering you have the Army FM "Improvised Explosives and Munitions" in your locker?  =D :angel: Look, not my fault, my dad strong armed me into model rocketry. First thing he does when the stuff comes is duct tape a spent motor case to a live motor, fill spent case with FFg then launch from 15ft fiberglass antenna mast. Then it was on to duct tape largest motor to old broadhead arrow, lay in angle iron, watch disappear. The lessons on acetylene trashbags, magnesium and potassium chlorate, etc.

Was it any wonder that I was that kid?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 10:53:34 AM »

Stop giving me ideas  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:48:35 PM »

A few weeks after that they blew up a suspicious device left by the side of the road.

It was a traffic monitoring system installed by the city.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 01:34:03 PM »
A few weeks after that they blew up a suspicious device left by the side of the road.

It was a traffic monitoring system installed by the city.

Is it possible for all the red light and speed cameras to be so misidentified?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 01:52:46 PM »
So what we've got is one of those cast iron dummy practice grenades. Some doofus welded a disk to cover the flash hole that let the smoke out, and left it on the side of the road.

Do we even know if it had a live charge of some sort inside it or was just a hollow shell, and was blown up "just in case" to give the bomb squad some practice, and sensationalize the news? When I hear "IED" I'm thinking a pile of 155mm howitzer shells wired together with an old Nokia cell phone. Not some replica cast iron WWII pineapple grenade.

And note: The entire Waco/Branch Davidian fiasco was started over one of these dummy hand grenades too.
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 03:38:05 PM »
Did it have a red LED clock timer  ???

If not, it couldn't have been a bomb  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 06:25:15 PM »
Prolly one of these

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 06:29:20 PM »

...sounds like a great way to protest the overreach of gov't authorities without actually hurting anyone but the donut shops' afternoon business.....  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 07:51:46 PM »
Did it have a red LED clock timer  ???

If not, it couldn't have been a bomb  ;)

Has to beep too. :P
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

birdman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 10:06:22 PM »
Has to beep too. :P
Don't forget multicolored coiled wires!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 10:55:05 PM »
Don't forget multicolored coiled wires!

As long as it doesn't have a blue wire it won't go off.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 11:14:32 PM »
Just yank 'em all....that always works.... =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 01:55:15 AM »
Just yank 'em all....that always works.... =D

I just find it amusing that so many of them obviously have only one blasting cap attached, and yet the hero never thinks to just yank that out and pull the wires off of it.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 06:04:44 AM »
I just find it amusing that so many of them obviously have only one blasting cap attached, and yet the hero never thinks to just yank that out and pull the wires off of it.

That's because all the cool bomb-makers use mercury switches....esp. since they're so easy to get....I bought a dozen out at the local Wally World just for special occasions....  =D

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 10:01:47 AM »
That's because all the cool bomb-makers use mercury switches....esp. since they're so easy to get....I bought a dozen out at the local Wally World just for special occasions....  =D

I was wondering to myself the other day, "Hmm, I wonder what I could use as a substitute for a mercury switch?  Perhaps, in a situation where it doesn't have to keep for too long, salt water?"

Salt water with enough salt dissolved in it to make it unfriendly to micro organisms might do the trick, in the right vessel.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 10:06:38 AM »
Police are talking to the driver to try to gather any more information about the device
I noted this little quote from the story.  For some reason I am picturing a good Samaritan who reported the suspicious device and is repaid by being detained and questioned for hours.  

He won't do that again.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge