Author Topic: CD/DVD burner question - no worky...  (Read 1033 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
CD/DVD burner question - no worky...
« on: April 05, 2006, 06:36:11 AM »
Okay all you propeller heads, a question.

I have a new NEC 3550A burner and am trying the demo version of Nero 7 (which works quite well, by the way). I burned a couple of test compilations and they work fine on my CD player here at that office. The problem is that, at home, I used my DVD player as my CD player to save on equipment space in my rack. The DVD player will not load the disc. At all. It just keeps flashing the "Loading Disc" message for 30 or 40 seconds, then comes up with a "Disc Error" message and spits the disc out. It did it on ALL the discs I burned.

Any thoughts?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 06:58:58 AM »
Did you burn at maximum speed?  I've found that sometimes I have to burn music CDs at reduced speed to get them to play in certain players.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 07:01:29 AM »
I burned at whatever speed the software picked. I'll check that out.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 08:55:20 AM »
It depends a lot on the DVD player.  CD players and DVD players use different-wavelength lasers to read the discs.  The ones and zeroes on a CD are much bigger and farther apart on a CD, and so a longer-wavelength (and thus cheaper) laser can be used to read them.  Most DVD players use only one laser to read all disks, and it's a shorter-wavelength one that is not tuned to work with the sizes of the ones and zeroes on CDs (there are some DVD players that have two lasers; one for CDs, and one for DVDs).  

I've found that single-laser DVD players tend to be twitchy about what CD-Rs they want to read.  Even different brands of CD-R media can affect the go/no-go state.  Try (as Dave suggests) burning at a lower speed, and if that doesn't work, try a different brand of CD-R media (and still burn it at low speed; that can never hurt anything except your patience).

You might also try CD-RW media.  The contrast between the ones and zeroes on a CD-RW is less than that on a CD-R, thus theoretically making it harder for a player to read, but you never know; your home player might hate CD-Rs but like CD-RWs.  As an added bonus, it looks like CD-RWs have longer-term data retention rates (lower bit rot), compared to CD-Rs, so your burned discs will last longer and be editable.  Bonus.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Kestrel

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 09:04:51 AM »
If these are audio CDs, try burning them at 1X speed. I don't know how old your computer is, but be sure not to do anything else on it while burning them, just to test it.

Also, it's possible your DVD player won't play CD-Rs and CD-RWs. Especially if it's older and especially if it's an older Sony.

Be sure you're using good quality CD-Rs, too. Skip the store brands, off-brands and no-name labels. They don't last as long and aren't as reliable. And like BrokenPaw suggested, try another brand if none of this works.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 09:14:18 AM »
I'm using Memorex 52x CD-R media. I was writing at the full speed of the drive, but am currently writing a couple at 16x to see if it makes a diff. The DVD player is an older Toshiba, so that may very well be the problem. I'll try it on a different player and see if it works. Heck, it was time to upgrade my player anyway.

On a side note, when I was writing at full speed (48x, I believe) it was taking 11-12 minutes to burn the disc. Would you believe that at 16x write speed it's only taking 6-7 minutes!?

Brad
-HankB

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 11:34:07 AM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
On a side note, when I was writing at full speed (48x, I believe) it was taking 11-12 minutes to burn the disc. Would you believe that at 16x write speed it's only taking 6-7 minutes!?

Brad
Yes, because 48x is a theoretical maximum.  It is not what you get as a consistent speed.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 11:50:53 AM »
I know, but the fastest actual write speed should still be faster thant the second slowest write speed available in the software. Selecting a slower write speed should BE slower, not faster - and certainly not twice as fast!

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 10:42:14 AM »
Well, burning the disc at the slowest possible speed did nothing to help. I'll try a CD-RW disc and see if it works, but I'm not holding out hope. I think I'll go ahead and run by Best Buy on the way home and pick up a new progressive scan DVD player. I've been wanting to upgrade anyway. If it doesn't play on that, I can always use my ancient old laserdisc player for CD's.

Brad
-HankB