Author Topic: Human Rights for Mother Nature  (Read 1917 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Human Rights for Mother Nature
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:34:49 AM »
It will be interesting to follow the money here. Also I look forward to suing Mother Nature the next time an earthquake hits.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/04/25/obama-adviser-van-jones-helping-push-rights-mother-nature/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Human Rights for Mother Nature
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:35:28 AM »
"Human" rights for non-humans is just a way of showing how dumb humans are becoming. :facepalm:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 11:44:51 AM »
"Human" rights for non-humans is just a way of showing how dumb humans are becoming. :facepalm:

Here Here.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:09:09 PM »
The Ganja is strong with this one.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »
You think that's stupid, check this out:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0LvKg5aCG0

(I've been waiting for days, looking for a good thread to hijack  >:D )
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:04:34 PM »
I think this is only loosely tied to green stuff.  They just want to be able to sue on behalf of animals and such.  I'm sure these guys expect to profit from the exercise significantly (similar to CO2 cap and trade stuff). 

Depending on how far something like this went, it could open up thousands or millions of potential lawsuits which will accomplish nothing by stopping any sort of progress.  Then the same liberals who like this idea will bitch about lost tax revenue, high housing prices, and all sorts of other consequences their own crazy ideas created in the first place. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »
This must be what going insane feels like...
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
Three possibilities . . .

1. Proponents have figured out an angle to use the courts to line their own pockets,

2. Some nations plan to use "international" courts to transfer money from the US to their own treasuries. (With select people collecting a fee in the process - see #1, above.)

3. Insanity. And I mean this in a clinical, strait-jacket-and-padded-room sense.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:04:50 AM »
No matter how many rights Nature gets you can bet the same ass***** will show up defending her in court (and very profitably).
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
I think Mother Nature is standing up for herself quite well these days - earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes ... we are about due for a good old fashioned plague.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 02:28:32 PM »
No matter how many rights Nature gets you can bet the same ass***** will show up defending her in court (and very profitably).
Not only that, but they will get themselves inserted in other cases as representing "nature's interests" similar to child custody hearings.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »
It is all about control.  At some point rational citizens will have to take on Big Environment. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »
Interesting how unnatural men and women wrap themselves in Nature.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 07:13:54 PM »
I think Mother Nature is standing up for herself quite well these days - earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes ... we are about due for a good old fashioned plague.

The major tornadoes we had last Friday are being called the Good Friday storm. I prefer to think of it as the Earth Day storm. Thanks a lot, Mom. I guess we'd better save you so you can keep breaking our stuff and trying to kill us.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife