Author Topic: S&W 642 ???  (Read 6977 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: S&W 642 ???
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 12:48:08 PM »
"Pocket" holster?

Wallet, bad guy? Sure, here you go - oops, it's a handgun instead! Sorry about your luck!

Only way to have a gun ready to go - in hand - and nobody is the wiser.

I do have a tendency to avoid (not "shun") holsters.  As I mentioned, since I got mine, I rarely carry my 1911.  There's my Airweight, right there in the right hand pocket of my coat.

And, should the necessity arise (G-d forbid!), you can shoot right through the pocket without drawing it at all.  Heck, coats are cheap down at the thrift store.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »
SKS stripper clips....more durable than Speed Strips and hold ten rounds....I use them a lot....
Do the metal clips tear up clothing at all?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 06:47:20 PM »
Do the metal clips tear up clothing at all?

Not if you wrap them in a hankerchief or slide them into a pouch.....I've even carried them in my pocket without any cover and haven't had them tear anything yet....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »
I am sorry I sold my 642, thats a great price.
get one of them pocket holsters, for a lot of info GRM might have the 642 club thread
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
Not if you wrap them in a hankerchief or slide them into a pouch.....I've even carried them in my pocket without any cover and haven't had them tear anything yet....
Yeah, but by the time you do all that, plastic speed strips start looking better.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 01:27:54 PM »
when I get the dough though I may get the ruger LCR in 357, same size as the 642 but with .357 bang
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »
S&W makes small 357 mag pistols also.  Only negative if they pretty much hurt to shoot and that is the steel pistol, not an airweight.  You might not care in a self defense situation, but you will be practicing with 38 loads.

The other question is:  What is the difference in performance between 38 and 357 Mag out of a 2" or 3" barrel?  Is it worth it?

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »
one thing I really don't know about is how to go about determining the difference between plus p 38's and high quality SD 357 ammo performance thru 2.5 barrels, I do know however that I feel better with a 357 over a 38.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »
The other question is:  What is the difference in performance between 38 and 357 Mag out of a 2" or 3" barrel?  Is it worth it?

The answer to that question can be found here:  http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/results.html

Well, the raw numbers are there.  The "worth" factor is up to each individual to decide.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 05:14:13 PM »
I believe the steel S&W in .38+P is the "Airweight."  The scandium/titanium one in .357 is the "Airlite."

The Airlite feels like an empty water pistol when you pick it up.  It has a certain amount of recoil.  Yowsa, it do.

With the Airlight, I went through regular .38s, then .38 +P 125-gr bullets, then 158 gr regular 38s and stopped there.  Yowsa, I did.

My son tried full-house .357s through it and said it felt like a jackhammer.  The pointy end.  Yowsa.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:21:10 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 05:15:08 PM »
On the holster thing..  how is it harder?  Do most of the holsters you are looking at have thumb breaks or a strap?

That.  You can get away with the thumb break on a 642,  it's just ill fitting.  With the 638,  the "hump" of the shrouded hammer makes finding a holster with any form of retention just about impossible.  

Maybe I'm weird, but I prefer to have some sort of retention on a holstered J frame. 9 times in 10 though, it's in a Desantis Nemesis,  and in a pair of cargo shorts the little gun just disappears.

Shamelessly hotlinked from Gunshopfinder  :laugh:

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 07:07:19 PM »
when I get the dough though I may get the ruger LCR in 357, same size as the 642 but with .357 bang

I shot a .357 LCR 3 or 4 weeks ago.  Full house .357.  It wasn't too bad, actually.  (Though, below .44 Mag levels I'm pretty tolerant of recoil.  YMMV.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.