Author Topic: "Off brand" guns  (Read 38736 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Re: "Off brand" guns
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »
That we can get here in the land of the supposedly free.
Given that their best market is closed to them, they aren't really making them in any significant numbers, if at all. The most interesting one, the break-top  with the polymer frame, never saw production.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 07:09:34 PM »
If I could finagle enough for an LCR I might liquidate my Taurus 605.  File that away for future consideration.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 11:52:01 PM »
You can't go wrong with Kel Tec's offerings.  Cheap but made well, and in America.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 12:48:37 AM »
And once again ... I AM NOT SHOPPING FOR A SEMI AUTO   ;/

Here you go, then.  http://www.amderringer.com/das.html

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 03:18:01 AM »
Never been crazy about semi-autos.  Doesn't bother me that other people have them.

I was sorta thinking about a 5-shot .38 snubbie for a "town gun"  =|

What I'd really like to find is a beat up but serviceable 30-30 for $200-250.

"Town Gun" - Ruger LCR- 5 shot in .38 Special.

I can look at the local gun show next weekend for you.

(Now I have a reason to go !!!)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 11:15:38 AM »
IMHO the best deal around for a new revolver is the Armscor M200/M206 (one's a snubby, the other's a 4-inch, and I can never remember which is which. They SELL for around $200, solidly made, finish isn't the beautiful Colt blue of a genuine Detective Special but for a working gun it's quite adequate. Trigger and lockup far superior to Taurus junk. hen the one I bought came into the shop at the range, the guys behind the counter were comparing it with a couple of Tauruses in the display case and asking "How can they be so much better than Taurus for only $200?"

I'm seriously considering buying another, just because.

BTW, they come with a lifetime warranty, and the service center is in Nevada. They actually answer the phone there -- unlike (from what I've experienced) Taurus.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 11:25:24 AM »
I almost bought one of the EAA's for my FIL at christmastime.  Asked about them on the TXCHL Forum and they got quite mixed reviews...it seems its easy to get a dud, but if you get one that works, it works great.
If you keep your eyes peeled, Rugers crop up for cheap from time to time.

If you're hoping to find a used 30-30 on the cheap, you need to take a trip through the south.   :lol:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »
Thanks, I'll keep the Armscor in mind.  :)

Sounds like the EAA is a pass, then.  =(

Oh yeah, take a 5000 mile trip to save a couple hundred dollars - that makes good sense  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
Here you go, then.  http://www.amderringer.com/das.html

I actually have one of these.  It is a safe queen now.  After firing it, I cautiously peek at my hands to count the fingers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Oh yeah, take a 5000 mile trip to save a couple hundred dollars - that makes good sense

Let the USPS, FedEx, or UPS make the trip for you by delivering a nice used rifle to your local FFL.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2011, 12:32:12 PM »
What I'd really like to find is a beat up but serviceable 30-30 for $200-250.
And I'd like to be king of all Londinium and wear a shiny hat.  :P  Heavily beat up Smith Model 10s around here usually fetch low $400s.  =(  I haven't even seen a .30-30 around here for over a year.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2011, 01:01:48 PM »
We frequently see beat up Model 10s in NoVa for $250-$350.  One of my local shops had a pile of them in the $250-$300 range (with some Taurus copies for less than $250).  I would've bought a Smith had it not been one with the lock and/or MIM parts.

My other local shop has a Colt Police Positive in either 38S&W or 38Special (can't remember which) for $250.

Chris

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »
And I'd like to be king of all Londinium and wear a shiny hat.  :P  Heavily beat up Smith Model 10s around here usually fetch low $400s.  =(  I haven't even seen a .30-30 around here for over a year.
One of the few good things here - because demand is low because of licensing laws, you can get amazing deals on used firearms. Especially pistols & revolvers...not to mention machine guns. If you're one of the lucky few to get a license for a machinegun, you can get used guns for next to nothing...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2011, 06:30:50 PM »
I think that I will just use my old 4" Security Six for CCW (as soon as the gov signs the new law) instead of buying a snubbie - unless I can find a bargain.

If I'm going to spend $500++ on a shooter, it oughta be big enough to whack somebody over the head Wyatt Earp style  =D

Still would like to find a .357 rifle, or at least another 30-30 ... or maybe a shotgun because I don't have one ...  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 06:35:49 PM »
I used a Security Six identical to yours (mine's in stainless) for a long while for CCW and it worked just fine. I highly recommend the "sourdough pancake" holster from Simply Rugged...works well OWB or with the "inside out" straps for IWB carry.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2011, 06:55:37 PM »
I used a Security Six identical to yours (mine's in stainless) for a long while for CCW and it worked just fine. I highly recommend the "sourdough pancake" holster from Simply Rugged...works well OWB or with the "inside out" straps for IWB carry.

I'm sure it would work fine, but the holster I already have is good enough for one or two trips per month to the "big city."  I even still have a few JHPs left.   =)

Going to the local county seat I just open carry the Blackhawk, or else I can start indifferently concealing soon.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2011, 07:40:30 PM »
I think that I will just use my old 4" Security Six for CCW (as soon as the gov signs the new law) instead of buying a snubbie - unless I can find a bargain.

If I'm going to spend $500++ on a shooter, it oughta be big enough to whack somebody over the head Wyatt Earp style  =D

Still would like to find a .357 rifle, or at least another 30-30 ... or maybe a shotgun because I don't have one ...  ???

I know pump guns are all the rage, but what about a single or SxS?  With some dilligence, you can find a single shot for under a hundred.  Cut to length, add a bead, and a side saddle and you're winning.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=226079203

model 200

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=227570912

With some practice, you can throw some lead just fine.  

PS:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=227736540
JD

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2011, 09:03:03 PM »
I'll get some names and numbers for you this weekend.  What are you looking for in a shotgun ?  There generally are some good deals on the standard pumps and semi's.  The SxS are hit and miss.   

There was a Marlin 94 copy in .44 Mag for sale at my club for $275.  I'd have to do some digging, so let me know if your interested.

Also I can look for pistols, a wheel gun, something in 38 Special ?  or do you have a preference ?

I'll be at the Kane County Show this Sunday, so let me know and I'll keep an eye open and get you contact info for anything that I see that I think you might be interested in. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 10:04:07 PM »
You can't go wrong with Kel Tec's offerings.  Cheap but made well, and in America.

Another +1 for Kel Tec.

The P3AT, PF9 and P11 are great little guns.  Inexpensive, American made and reliable.

I know you're a western-traditionalist with your firearms, Tallpine... favoring revolvers and leverguns... but Kel Tec is good stuff.

Keep looking for a post-1970's Winchester 94 in .30-30.  Should be able to find one for between $175 to $250 depending on condition.

For wheelguns... I'd take a Charter over a Taurus or EAA Windicator any day.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2011, 10:08:31 PM »
Yes, I was going to say Charter Arms too. I've not heard one bad review in terms of function since their new re-launching a few years back. They look cheap, but they're done right where it counts.
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2011, 10:34:27 PM »
Yes, I was going to say Charter Arms too. I've not heard one bad review in terms of function since their new re-launching a few years back. They look cheap, but they're done right where it counts.

Ok, thanks - that was what I was looking for.  They had a Charter there at that shop too, but for the life of me I couldn't remember which of the "off-brands" were supposed to be good and which not so good.  Anyway, a snubbie is not something that I would shoot a whole lot anyway.

=)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »
I would like a side by side shotgun, but most seem to be up in or above the pump action price range.  The single shots I see are mostly 20 gauge or smaller, and I'm not sure about the recoil with such a light gun in a 12g ...?

I'd really love a Marlin 94, but it would have to be in either .45 colt or .357/.38 since I already have those revolvers.  I don't really want to add any more calibers (not counting a possible shotgun) and what I'm really trying to do is get more guns in basic calibers like .30-30, .357, .45, and maybe even more .22's.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2011, 11:22:37 PM »
Are you dead set on a lever gun in .30-30? I have a line on a .45-70 locally, used, Marlin, for ~$300. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2011, 11:27:17 PM »
Are you dead set on a lever gun in .30-30? I have a line on a .45-70 locally, used, Marlin, for ~$300. :)

Mmmmmmmm   =|

That could be tempting, but again yet another caliber.  =(

I guess those would be pretty simple to reload considering it's a straight wall case  ???

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 12:31:30 AM »
Mmmmmmmm   =|

That could be tempting, but again yet another caliber.  =(

I guess those would be pretty simple to reload considering it's a straight wall case  ???

Not bad at all to reload. I use 65-70 grs of Goex black powder and a 535 gr. cast lead bullet, if that don't get it done I'll always think it should have.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams