Author Topic: Who needs a bayonet? Photos added.  (Read 9219 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Who needs a bayonet? Photos added.
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »
Passed a shop today that had several bayonets in the window. Didn't get a photo, too dark, or prices but I'll check back tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:53:01 PM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Who needs a bayonet?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »
Several reasons:

1. Collecting.

2. Modern bayonets  are generally just 'a good knife that happens to also to attach to your rifle'. In Israel I know many people who own bayonets, despite rifles not being legal to own.

3. If you have a rifle anyway - which many people do - and you have a knife anyway - and I expect many people who own guns also own knives - why not have it be a knife that can attach to a rifle?

4. [Not really likely] In home defense goblins may try to grab on to your gun. Making your gun pointy reduces the likelihood of them succeeding.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 07:57:54 PM »
Modern bayonets  are generally just 'a good knife that happens to also to attach to your rifle

Bayonets are not known for being quality knives. Sturdy, generally yes, but holding an edge? Not so much. I prefer to have a good, purpose designed fixed blade fighting knife.

In home defense goblins may try to grab on to your gun. Making your gun pointy reduces the likelihood of them succeeding.

I'd prefer to just pull the trigger and light 'em up rather than extending the length of my rifle and changing the balance with a bayonet.

Moot point, my HD gun doesn't even have a bayonet lug anymore.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 08:08:43 PM »
If they happen to have the bayonet for a Garand, I might be interested....  Model 1905 or M1....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:12:44 PM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 08:10:04 PM »
Just in case you did not think there was a way to make a glock worse.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 08:20:29 PM »
Passed a shop today that had several bayonets in the window. Didn't get a photo, too dark, or prices but I'll check back tomorrow.

Bayonets for what rifles?

I want a big long pigsticker that will fit on the front of my Ishapore 2A.  Just because.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:00:24 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »
Bayonets or any long knife are great for eating apples  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:11:01 PM »
Looking for Springfield 03 and Enfield No V Mk I pigstickers here.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 09:17:28 PM »
Bayonets or any long knife are great for eating apples  =)

As long as the apples don't have explosives in them.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 09:17:38 PM »
Bayonets are not known for being quality knives. Sturdy, generally yes, but holding an edge? Not so much. I prefer to have a good, purpose designed fixed blade fighting knife.

Ka Bar.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 10:14:40 PM »
Ka Bar.

A classic option. I purchased a Benchmade CSK (Not the CSK II) as my fighting knife.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 11:43:35 PM »
Bayonets? I haz a bunch. Favorite by far is the swiss engineer's bayonet

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 11:49:08 PM »
Several reasons:

1. Collecting.

2. Modern bayonets  are generally just 'a good knife that happens to also to attach to your rifle'. In Israel I know many people who own bayonets, despite rifles not being legal to own.

3. If you have a rifle anyway - which many people do - and you have a knife anyway - and I expect many people who own guns also own knives - why not have it be a knife that can attach to a rifle?

4. [Not really likely] In home defense goblins may try to grab on to your gun. Making your gun pointy reduces the likelihood of them succeeding.
:facepalm:
I don't think you go tthe point. He saw the bayonets and asked if anyone needed one, and that he'd get the vitals on the shop tomorrow and pass it along if anyone wanted it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 12:00:17 AM »
Favorite by far is the swiss engineer's bayonet

Where did you find that?  My firsts thought when I saw the title of this thread was, hmmm I 'd like to have a bayonet for my K31.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 12:39:39 AM »
What's the really loooong U.S. pattern bayonet from WWI? The 1917 pattern?

A pig-sticker with some more reach than my Buck M9 might come in handy on my Mossberg 590 someday.  =D
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 12:48:50 AM »

Huh?

The bayonet I carried in Vietnam had one of the finest blades I've ever seen. No problem holding an edge. What bayonet(s) have you seen that WON'T hold an edge?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 04:10:44 AM »
It's also a home defense aiming device; stick it an inch below where you want to hit, then pull the trigger.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 05:11:23 AM »
I don't think you go tthe point. He saw the bayonets and asked if anyone needed one, and that he'd get the vitals on the shop tomorrow and pass it along if anyone wanted it.

Oh.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 06:11:20 AM »
And along the same theme of justifying buying a bayonet (I thought the sane thing micro did from the tag line), they call them pigstickers for a reason. And feral hogs are a problem in much of the US and not unknown to require a bayonet if your hands were shaking when you emptied your magazine into that pissed off charging boar (or sow with piglets). I know my hand would be shaking and there'd prolly be a stream of something warm and yellow running down my leg.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 06:51:07 AM »
Where did you find that?  My firsts thought when I saw the title of this thread was, hmmm I 'd like to have a bayonet for my K31.
It came with the 1911 rifle in the pic that I bought at Cabelas. I was looking at the rifle which they wanted around $350 for, which was a fair-to- slightly high price for the rifle, then the guy in the gun library told me it comes with a shovel and a bayonet as well. I asked a bout the bayonet, when he showed me it, I knew what it was and knew it was worth at least 1/2 the price they were asking for the rifle, so I bought the rifle on the spot. It was an odd set because the engineer's bayonet is not made for the 1911 rifle, but  fits k31s and supposedly 96/11 and 1911 carbines.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 07:01:23 AM »
I got one of those long pointy cross type stickers. Not sure of its origin. I think Austria or that area.  I also have one for the Arisaka. I have the uncle's trench knife from NG, I keep it on the headboard. Any breaky inners are going t get a big surprise.  ;)

I also have a "presentation" machete. I tried to locate the original owner but had no luck. I don't necessarily need any more but thanks for the offer!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 07:58:35 AM »
And feral hogs are a problem in much of the US and not unknown to require a bayonet if your hands were shaking when you emptied your magazine into that pissed off charging boar (or sow with piglets).

That's sort of my logic in using the M44 out at the land; just like a boar spear, when things go bad, put the pointy end in the pig and hold onto the blunt end so he can't get to you.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 09:12:38 AM »

Bingo.

Caveat: I'm in Buenos Aires, and I don't know much about bayonets.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 04:33:20 PM »
Prices are marked in Argentina pesos. Divide by 4 to get US equivalent. I didn't handle anything, but all the bayonets appeared to be in good to very good condition. I can't tell if they are genuine or forgeries, though. The shop also has many swords, hats, and other Argentine uniform pieces.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:42:58 PM by Fly320s »

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 04:34:57 PM »