Author Topic: Suggestions for GOOD Sound Machine or Source for Good Sound CDs  (Read 777 times)

Kestrel

• friend
My wife and I like to sleep with some "white" noise at night. The sound of a slow fan would be just about perfect, except, having allergies, it affects us to have it stirring up dust throughout the night.

I bought a sound machine at Brookstone, that cost about $175. It sounded okay, but we couldn't really pick a sound out of the selections it had, that was just right. (I've tried cheaper ones, but they had such poor quality audio, that it was irritating.)

Does anyone know of a good sound machine/sound generator that works well? I've also thought about sound CDs, that have sounds of rain, etc. Most of the ones I've found also have music, which I don't want for this application. I have a couple that have either the surf or a thunderstorm, but they aren't quite what we're looking for, either.

I've often wished I could find some sounds on the Internet that I could burn to a CD, to play at night, but don't know of any.

As a side note, I remember the relaxing sound of an A/C window unit at home on summer nights, when I was a child. That was always a great sound to sleep to. Man, if someone could bottle up that sound in a machine...

If I could think of someone with a window unit, I would even record about an hour of that sound and make a CD or put it on a flash-based MP3 player, connected to a stereo.

I think people that live next to a river, have one of the greatest sounds to sleep to that I can imagine. The thought of having the window open on spring nights, with a river running nearby, almost makes me sleepy, just thinking about it...

Hmm... Here's an idea. The next time there is a HEAVY rain, I might record about an hour of it and put it on CD. That might be a good one. (By the way, I always thought a funny joke would be for these companies that sell "mood CDs/relaxing CDs", to sell one called gentle rain or some such. Then, at about 50 minutes into the CD, have a LOUD THUNDER CRACK. Imagine the folks that have been sleeping peacefully to that CD being startled out of bed... I know, I know - warped.)

Anyway - anyone have ideas or suggestions? I'm open to any innovative ideas, too.

Thanks.

cosine

• Administrator
Suggestions for GOOD Sound Machine or Source for Good Sound CDs
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 06:35:56 PM »
Quote from: Kestrel
Hmm... Here's an idea. The next time there is a HEAVY rain, I might record about an hour of it and put it on CD. That might be a good one. (By the way, I always thought a funny joke would be for these companies that sell "mood CDs/realxing CDs", to sell one called gentle rain or some such. Then, at about 50 minutes into the CD, have a LOUD THUNDER CRACK. Imagine the folks that have been sleeping peacefully to that CD being startled out of bed... I know, I know - warped.)
Warped. But funny. cheesy
Andy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 02:22:30 PM »
The sound of a slow fan would be just about perfect, except, having allergies, it affects us to have it stirring up dust throughout the night.
Record your slow fan while you're not there, then play it back later.

I've got bad allergies myself, so I can relate to things that set it off.  I haven't had much of a problem with ceiling fans.
For entertainment purposes only.

Kestrel

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 03:18:56 PM »
Quote from: crt360
The sound of a slow fan would be just about perfect, except, having allergies, it affects us to have it stirring up dust throughout the night.
Record your slow fan while you're not there, then play it back later.

I've got bad allergies myself, so I can relate to things that set it off.  I haven't had much of a problem with ceiling fans.
I've thought about doing that. I'll probably try it this weekend.