Author Topic: GOP 2012 ticket prediction  (Read 47940 times)

SteveT

Re: GOP 2012 ticket prediction
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2011, 08:40:43 PM »
That certainly helps at this stage, but there's plenty personally wealthy potential candidates, plus those with plenty of contact that can raise money quickly.  Romney is a first-class RINO that will excite people about as much as Bob Dole or John McCain.  Which is to say, not at all.  If he's the GOP nominee we can kiss any chance of repealing O-care goodbye.  We're nearly financially sunk as a country anyway, and with that anchor pulling us further over the collapse will just come that much faster and more harshly.

Who?   

I do agree with you about Romney btw.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2011, 10:22:05 PM »
Mayor Adam West (Family Guy character) and Ann Coulter.
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »
Examples, please. I'm not sure what you consider "bible-thumping."

FTR, I'm neutral on Huckabee. Don't know enough about him.

Some folks just don't like non-squishy Christians.

I don't like The Huck for lots of reasons, but his being a former Baptist minister is not one of them.  I'd be willing to bet a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts that Huck, as governor, mentioned God or his faith at a lesser rate than does BHO or Bill Clinton did as POTUS.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2011, 11:26:22 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-medical-mystery-of-mitt-romney/2011/05/12/AF5RLd1G_story.html?hpid=z5

great piece on romney
Funny thing is, some Republicans loved him for putting in healthcare in Mass, and never said a bad word about it during the last primaries. But now that Obama did more or less the exact same thing, he's become questionable. I'm thinking it was Jim DeMint (among others) who loved him last time, but has now changed his tone.

As for the 2012 GOP ticket - Romney is now the Chosen One. It's GOP tradition. Newt will fail - Romney just needs to play his ad with Pelosi played a week before the primary, and he's toast. People will forget the subject of the ad, and just remember Newt=Pelosi. Herman Cain is a nobody who may be a dangerous opponent come 2016. Trump is in it for the publicity.

I don't think anybody but Palin can beat Romney in the primaries, and I think Ron Paul would have a better chance of winning a national election right now than she does, with her very strong negatives. The people who hate her guts will come out in droves to vote for the other guy. Just see here for an example of the lack of Palin love.

This is Dole/Clinton II, and I predict similar results.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2011, 11:28:54 PM »

Or Bush/Kerry.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2011, 11:31:14 PM »
There simply HAS to be an unknown dark horse the GOP is keeping squirreled away somewhere.

No party is this Stupid.  Even the Stupid Party.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SteveT

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2011, 11:39:05 PM »
If the GOP can't beat a sitting President when unemployment is at 9% serious questions have to be asked.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2011, 11:44:56 PM »
You know better than that. The Stupid Party will never rest on its laurels, it believes in proving that moniker anew every day of the week.  :lol:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2011, 12:27:01 AM »
Mayor Adam West (Family Guy character) and Ann Coulter.

Bob, you know that Adam West is an actor, most famous for the old cheesy Batman TV series?  And he is playing "himself" on Family Guy?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2011, 12:44:07 AM »
Bob, you know that Adam West is an actor, most famous for the old cheesy Batman TV series?  And he is playing "himself" on Family Guy?
Yeah, I know.  That's why it's such a compelling character.  =D

(speaking of cheesy...)  
http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/5047675/the_butterfinger_defense_league.swf
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2011, 02:11:21 AM »
There simply HAS to be an unknown dark horse the GOP is keeping squirreled away somewhere.

Never ever underestimate the the depth and power of human stupidity.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2011, 08:50:22 AM »
I don't think anybody but Palin can beat Romney in the primaries, and I think Ron Paul would have a better chance of winning a national election right now than she does, with her very strong negatives. The people who hate her guts will come out in droves to vote for the other guy. Just see here for an example of the lack of Palin love.

I am a Palin supporter (especially as there are very few other conservative candidates right now.)

If the election were held tomorrow, I'm sure she would lose. However, her negatives are this high because she has suffered the onslaught of the democrat media just as the eventual candidate will.

This is why I support her. The media's attacks have already been spent on lowering her appeal. I think that after a campaign, she will be able to prove those attacks false to a majority of the voting public. Any other republican candidate will deal with the same attacks and have to overcome the exact same negatives that will result.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »

The GOP has a very efficient filtering system to strain out the boat-rockers.  Add to that the evolution of a savagely left-leaning mass media that will lacerate any outlier and we have a problem.

The candidate we want must rise from the grass roots, and this means growing the Tea Party into a massive civil rights movement that actively involves millions of people.  Clearly we have not yet reached the critical mass of awareness, fear, pain, and commitment we need.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2011, 05:24:45 PM »
Examples, please. I'm not sure what you consider "bible-thumping."

FTR, I'm neutral on Huckabee. Don't know enough about him.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/01/mike_huckabee_and_christian_du.html

Sums it up better than I could. 

Basically,  he pulls the Jesus card for supporting all sorts of loathsome social programs that I don't agree with.  Don't even get me started on turning bad guys loose from prison.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2011, 05:34:10 PM »
Sums it up better than I could. 

It sums it up, but isn't backed up by any examples or quotations. But don't worry about it. I should research it myself, anyway, and he isn't running, so...

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2011, 06:27:21 PM »
It sums it up, but isn't backed up by any examples or quotations. But don't worry about it. I should research it myself, anyway, and he isn't running, so...

" Faith doesn't just influence me, it really defines me. "  - Campaign ad

" But my faith is important to me.  I try to be more descriptive of it.  I just don't want to run from it and act like it's not important.  It drives my views on everything from the environment to poverty to disease to hunger.  Issues, frankly, I think the Republicans need to take a greater leadership role in.  And as a Republican, but as a Christian, I would want to make sure that we're speaking out on some of these issues that I think we've been lacking in as a party and as, as a nation. "   Meet the Press: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22409176/

"I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk,"

"it is now difficult to keep track of the vast array of publicly endorsed and institutionally supported aberrations -- from homosexuality and pedophilia to sadomasochism and necrophilia."    - From his book "Kids who Kill"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2011, 07:38:24 PM »
Render unto Caesar--unless that Caesar is Barack Obama.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »

" Faith doesn't just influence me, it really defines me. "  - Campaign ad

" But my faith is important to me.  I try to be more descriptive of it.  I just don't want to run from it and act like it's not important.  It drives my views on everything from the environment to poverty to disease to hunger.  Issues, frankly, I think the Republicans need to take a greater leadership role in.  And as a Republican, but as a Christian, I would want to make sure that we're speaking out on some of these issues that I think we've been lacking in as a party and as, as a nation. "   Meet the Press: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22409176/

"I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk,"

"it is now difficult to keep track of the vast array of publicly endorsed and institutionally supported aberrations -- from homosexuality and pedophilia to sadomasochism and necrophilia."    - From his book "Kids who Kill"

Why do you find these quotations objectionable?

SteveT

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »
The GOP has a very efficient filtering system to strain out the boat-rockers.  Add to that the evolution of a savagely left-leaning mass media that will lacerate any outlier and we have a problem.

The candidate we want must rise from the grass roots, and this means growing the Tea Party into a massive civil rights movement that actively involves millions of people.  Clearly we have not yet reached the critical mass of awareness, fear, pain, and commitment we need.

As we've been seeing recently if your sole goal is to cut government spending you don't need control of everything.   You just need one of three.   The House of Representatives, The Senate OR the White House.

Then you just have to be serious.   But it can be done.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2011, 05:36:31 PM »
It can be. It has to be.  The GOP needs to do better communicating to the public.  Recently, one conservative talk show host complained that NO major GOP honcho will take the time to come on and make the clear case for what must be done.  We still have the problem that the GOP establishment lives in a cocoon--and prefers to stay there lest they get bedbugs from the filthy masses.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2011, 08:22:55 PM »
Why do you find these quotations objectionable?

Because he doesn't believe equating sadomasochism and homosexuality on one hand, and pedophilia and necrophilia on the other hand is appropriate or correct?

It can be. It has to be.  The GOP needs to do better communicating to the public.  Recently, one conservative talk show host complained that NO major GOP honcho will take the time to come on and make the clear case for what must be done.  We still have the problem that the GOP establishment lives in a cocoon--and prefers to stay there lest they get bedbugs from the filthy masses.

More importantly, they do not themselves believe it needs to be done.

Creatures like Romney in the political class, and Frum/Medved in the pundit class are a very important part of the GOP leadership. Even many of the people who bill themselves as 'conservatives' do not have what it takes to implement the needed changes, and would not implement them even if they won a landslide election granting them control of all branches of government, at once.

This is the crucial problem. There is not sufficient opposition to the status quo. Opposition to the Democrats does not equate opposition to the status quo.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2011, 08:35:26 PM »
Because he doesn't believe equating sadomasochism and homosexuality on one hand, and pedophilia and necrophilia on the other hand is appropriate or correct?

I rather doubt that is the issue. He only equated them to the degree that he said they are aberrations, and he believes they are publicly endorsed and supported. If you're trying to say that he equated homosexuals with pedophiles, that doesn't seem to be the case.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2011, 08:45:07 PM »
Okay.

I *understand* that you agree[/]i] with this world-view.

Do you genuinely not understand why it sounds offensive to some individuals, or are you just trying to make a rhetorical point?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2011, 08:58:10 PM »
Which is to say that the Democrat and GOP top dogs aren't in the end that different, that what they have in common--the lifestyle of the elite, the worldview of the elite--is what matters.  They may differ a bit in just how regimented the masses should be, but that's about it.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2011, 10:04:51 PM »
When you're headed off a cliff, it makes little difference whether you are in the left lane or the right lane  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin