Author Topic: Green ammo  (Read 681 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Green ammo
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 10:40:13 AM »
If I was a soldier, I'd just want to know how much it weighs in grains and what it's MV was.

If those two numbers make me happy, I'm willing to believe whatever else the lab tells me about terminal performance. Or, just not worry about it.
I promise not to duck.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 11:06:32 AM »
ok, so it's steel cored instead of lead...

my inexperienced thought is that it may have better penetration, but poor fragmentation for when it actually hits a bad guy...

tmm

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:45:28 AM »
ok, so it's steel cored instead of lead...

my inexperienced thought is that it may have better penetration, but poor fragmentation for when it actually hits a bad guy...

tmm

Or the steel core comes out of the copper jacket and you get a certain amount of guaranteed fragmentation. (shrug) Although in general, if penetration is your concern, (more important in war, where cover is utilized as much as possible, than say hunting...) fragmentation is always going to suffer.

I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:39:11 PM »
The article says it has more wounding effect than 7.62 (M80) ball - I'm skeptical about that, but in order to get better terminal ballistics the bullet has to become unstable after impact and tumble, probably with core/jacket separation; with a steel core and copper jacket it won't expand in the conventional sense.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain