Author Topic: The best watch in the world  (Read 5552 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The best watch in the world
« on: May 08, 2011, 09:18:59 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-96-0529-4035-Tourbillon-Titanium-Chronograph/dp/B001K3IXW8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Not only do I recommend that you immediately buy this watch, but take the time to read the comments, too.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The best watch in the world
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 10:42:06 PM »
Water resistant to 1000 meters/ 3330 feet.

But, whatever you do, DON'T dive to 1001 meters or it's game over. $86,999.99 down the tubes. And there's only ONE, so like ... where ya gonna get it repaired? Huh?

Then the most amazing this happened. Last night I was out at a bar with some friends. I walked up to the amazingly beautiful woman, and she looked at me, then my watch, and said the most wonderful thing, "Nice Watch." I took that opening and asked her for her number, and she laughed and told me to go away. Normally women just laugh and tell me to go away, so this was a huge improvement and worth every penny.

There ya go. What more could you ask?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 11:09:59 PM »
Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #101,670 in Watches
Best in the world?

When I first bought this watch I had buyer's remorse. How could I possibly justify spending $[...] on a watch when I drive a 1992 Ford Festiva don't even own a home?

Then the most amazing this happened. Last night I was out at a bar with some friends. I walked up to the amazingly beautiful woman, and she looked at me, then my watch, and said the most wonderful thing, "Nice Watch." I took that opening and asked her for her number, and she laughed and told me to go away. Normally women just laugh and tell me to go away, so this was a huge improvement and worth every penny.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 11:22:25 PM »
What a hellashusly ugly watch.  I bought a $20 dollar Casio from Amazon that looks much nicer and keeps time to maybe one second per month, which is way more accurate than advertized.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 12:08:04 AM »
Not to mention that by the time you can read the actual time off the face, you have driven into a tree.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 12:10:47 AM »
They are good watches.
I've got three.
7-11 was a part time job.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 12:28:41 AM »
What a hellashusly ugly watch.  I bought a $20 dollar Casio from Amazon that looks much nicer and keeps time to maybe one second per month, which is way more accurate than advertized.

Hey, civilian, you can go ahead and thank me that you have a soft, cushy life, and you don't have to worry that your cheap watch is going to crap out on you while you're HALO-ing into the 'Stan. Because hard-corp army SEELS like me are doing that for you, pogue!

BRAVO 6 OUT!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 02:40:10 AM »
Hey, civilian, you can go ahead and thank me that you have a soft, cushy life, and you don't have to worry that your cheap watch is going to crap out on you while you're HALO-ing into the 'Stan. Because hard-corp army SEELS like me are doing that for you, pogue!

BRAVO 6 OUT!!

You better have your watch checked out, Fisty.  It would appear that you've missed your evening meds.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »
What a fugly watch.

I have a decent Seiko - titanium case, sapphire bezel, but it's only supposed to be waterproof down to 200 meters. (Haven't put it to the test.) Which is why I only paid $99 for it when a local Target store was blowing out all their Seikos for $99.

I suppose the extra 800 meters of waterproofing might be worth $86,900.99 to someone, but if the watch on my wrist is being subjected to 1 km worth of pressure, I doubt I'll care . . .

(Oh, and right now I'm wearing a Casio wave ceptor that synchronizes the time with WWV daily, meaning it's accurate to less than 1 second. Between a sale price and a coupon, it was just over $20 at Kohl's. But it's "only" waterproof down to 50m.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 08:50:17 AM »
You know what's hilarious about watches?  If someone comes to you and says "look, I want the toughest, most accurate watch I can buy - it has to be accurate to within ten seconds a year, impervious to all damage, and still light enough to wear.  I'm want to spend $10,000!"

If you were to answer honestly, you'd have to tell them that they'll be forced to spend a couple hundred - anything that costs $10,000 won't meet those criteria.  It's only the cheaper watches that offer extreme accuracy and durability.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 08:52:07 AM »
You know what's hilarious about watches?  If someone comes to you and says "look, I want the toughest, most accurate watch I can buy - it has to be accurate to within ten seconds a year, impervious to all damage, and still light enough to wear.  I'm want to spend $10,000!"

If you were to answer honestly, you'd have to tell them that they'll be forced to spend a couple hundred - anything that costs $10,000 won't meet those criteria.  It's only the cheaper watches that offer extreme accuracy and durability.
Or you could just add a $9800 markup . . .  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 08:54:09 AM »

Why is this so?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 08:56:44 AM »
Why does it have the symbol for the Klingon empire in the upper left corner?

Maybe it's the best watch in the GALAXY, not just the world.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 09:01:03 AM »
Why is this so?

Because the most accurate and durable watches are based on easy to manufacture quartz movements.  The technology is extremely simple and cheap, and it's also only available as an industrial product.  You can't "boutique manufacture" them, so there's no scope for exclusivity.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 09:02:54 AM »
Then is why is my $87,000 watch so leet? I can't hear your argument, over the sound of how awesome my watch is.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 09:30:31 AM »
Hey man-
Wanna buy a watch?
I know you need a watch because if you had a watch you'd know it's nighttime and nighttime ain't no time to be in this neighborhood.

So how about a watch?
7-11 was a part time job.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »
I love the comment about refusing to buy the watch because of the shipping charge.

"I'm gonna get my $87K out of you, and don't think you're getting away with free shipping. That $9.95 is my entire profit margin!"

What's really funny is $9.95 is about what my dad spends on a watch when he buys one at Walmart. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 10:27:31 AM »

It's weird how a $20 timex is a better watch than a Rolex (keeps time more accurately, is more durable and more reliable than the Rolex).

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »
It's weird how a $20 timex is a better watch than a Rolex (keeps time more accurately, is more durable and more reliable than the Rolex).

I type this with a seamaster on my wrist - functionally, yes, it's much better.  Why do people get hooked on nice watches? Shiny gadgets are cool.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 10:47:17 AM »
i don't think i can hold my breath long enough to surface from more than 50 meters
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »

Most divers I know dive with a cheap G-Shock, if they wear a watch, instead of any of the fancy dive watches you see advertised. I dove with Silvia Earle a few times on work dives, and she never wore the Rolex she wears in the full page magazine ads.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 11:15:25 AM »

BRAVO 6 OUT!!
What did I do? ??? ???

I don't "HALO" into A'stan!   I'm too old and out of shape for that!! [popcorn] [tinfoil]  What button did I press that I shouldn't have? [tinfoil] :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 11:41:14 AM »
I type this with a seamaster on my wrist - functionally, yes, it's much better.  Why do people get hooked on nice watches? Shiny gadgets are cool.

Yup.  I have a nice customized Seiko diver that I wear when not doing stuff that might damage it, and a G-Shock for yardwork, camping, hunting, etc.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »
The best watch in the world is the "Hold My Beer Watch"  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »
I bought one of these, and had to send to back to the factory three times for repair.  They suck and their customer service is terrible too.... [ar15]