Author Topic: Stargate Universe, WTF!  (Read 4634 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Stargate Universe, WTF!
« on: May 10, 2011, 01:01:12 AM »
I've enjoyed the Stargate franchise since the first movie. Atlantis was OK and I had high hopes for Universe. watched the series finale. WTF.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

PTK

• friends
Re: Stargate Universe, WTF!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:19:00 AM »
They cancelled it early, that's WTF. :(

Son, I am disappoint in many, many ways that this has happened.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 01:19:28 AM »
Macgyver can't fix everything.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:41:24 AM »
SGU was trying to be another NuBSG....and not really doing that well....

I hope they try another SG franchise show that gets back to the action/adventure/exploration theme of SG1 & SGA.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:25:06 AM »
SGU was never as good as either SG1 (at least, before the Farscape guy replaced McGyver) or SGA. They had glimmers of imagination (a "pattern" in the Big Bang background radiation that might be a sign of pre-Big Bang intelligence - pretty original; I only remember something slightly similar in an old story by A. E. VanVogt) but overall, there was too much soap-opera cr@p.

They deliberately left the ending indeterminate so they have an option of renewing the franchise or making an SGU made-for-TV or direct-to-DVD movie, the way they did with SG1.

And if they don't . . . so what? You as a former viewer of a cancelled series count for nothing - they don't "owe" you closure or anything else.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:06:44 PM »
Did they get back to earth, or  ??? ???  I stopped watching this awhile ago.  I think it was when they exited the galaxy.  Or something.    =|
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

PTK

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »
That was the first episode. ;)

Also, no, they left it hanging as Hank said so that they can do whatever they please with the series. Personally, I hope it gets picked up again. I've always liked the soap-opera-y-ness of Stargate.

As my SO says, "It's a soap opera for men! With guns! And aliens! And hot women!"

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
Did they get back to earth, or  ??? ???  I stopped watching this awhile ago.  I think it was when they exited the galaxy.  Or something.    =|
They were going to make a 3-year "jump" to the next galaxy, but lacking supplies and power, the crew went into stasis pods. One pod malfunctioned, so one guy would stay out. He had two weeks to either fix the pod or commit suicide so he didn't use up too much power for the others to make it to their destination. Eli (the fat computer nerd) volunteered. The series ended with him looking into the distance and smiling.

Did he suicide to save the others? Did he fix the bad pod and go into stasis himself? Did the rest make the jump? Rescue? Eaten by aliens?

Maybe you'll find out if they make an SGU movie or revive the series.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »
I never got into SGU.  I watched and rewatched the first two series.  SGU was just too slow, I was always wanting to yell at them to get the hell on with it.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 05:00:19 PM »
The amount of backstory they were creating, the character depth, etc., was simply staggering to do in 40-minute segments. For whatever it's worth, I very much looked forward to it, much as I look forward to new episodes of Doctor Who. :)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
"It's a soap opera for men! With guns! And aliens! And hot women!"

Add beer and bacon and what else is there?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 09:40:43 PM »
The amount of backstory they were creating, the character depth, etc., was simply staggering to do in 40-minute segments. For whatever it's worth, I very much looked forward to it, much as I look forward to new episodes of Doctor Who. :)

Double ditto! Ditto to the power of two! Ditto ditto!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 01:59:29 PM »
Just watched this series via Netflix streaming.

I liked, except for this:

I never got into SGU.  I watched and rewatched the first two series.  SGU was just too slow, I was always wanting to yell at them to get the hell on with it.

No kidding, it was slow.

They NEVER resolved what was going on with the blue aliens, and they jumped the shark when they introduced the drones and the meaningless side-detour that got them involved with the drones in the first place.

Remember the "intro" to the show where they would re-hash everything in the hopes of bringing a new viewer up to speed so they can understand the episode?  It never changed, and it kept talking about the blue aliens, a lucian alliance plot against earth, and some other stuff that never got resolved.

Destiny's mission to find out more about this background radio signal was neat, but it was a million+ year old mission that still wasn't completed.  It was utter hubris for the humans to think that they could have ANY affect on that mission at all... even within our species' combined lifespan, let alone the 80-odd year individual lifespan.  Their idea of being relevant at all to Destiny's mission was laughable.  The fact that they detoured the ship to investigate something completely unrelated to Destiny's mission was unconscionable. 

They should have all transferred over to the seed ship they docked with and used it to locate another Icarus planet, then built a 9-chevron gate to travel back to Earth.  It would have been a graceful way to end the series, or leave it open (since they figured out how to safely build a 9-chevron gate and operate it without blowing up an Icarus planet) for future series.

Yeah, it's fiction, but... I'm disappointed that the only thing that humans contributed to on Destiny's mission once able to modify the ship's flight plan, was to get it half blown up and sabotage its capability to refuel or resupply itself.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 08:38:10 PM »
Also, I have the same complaint with SGU I did for lost...after months/years...WHY IS ELI/HURLEY STILL FAT!?!?