Author Topic: Pretzel logic on CCW in Wisconsin  (Read 54047 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Pretzel logic on CCW in Wisconsin
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:01:29 AM »
I like to finish out each day with a bit of entertainment, so I do two things every night. One is to read a couple of comic strips. The other is to read the letters to the editor in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The letters are almost always funnier.

Today there was one on CCW laws in Wisconsin. The logic is so convoluted that I got a brain cramp. Here's a sample:

Please remember that the main reason one wants a gun is because one imagines needing a gun. But one of the reasons that person has never actually needed a gun in the past was because he or she was not carrying one.

The rest of the letter is here.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Pretzel logic on CCW in Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 01:15:31 AM »
Pure genius.

Let's see if I can mimic this logic. Simply by carrying condoms on my person, I can vastly increase my chances of having a spontaneous orgy - and in fact, the reason I have never encountered a spontaneous orgy is because I do not run around with condoms at all times.

I may test this logic out next week in the vicinity of South Padre Island.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:16:27 AM »
But one of the reasons that person has never actually needed a gun in the past was because he or she was not carrying one.

Who says I have never actually needed a gun in the past?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 01:19:11 AM »
Who says I have never actually needed a gun in the past?

Because you're alive right now.  That's their argument.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:20:03 AM »
Because you're alive right now.  That's their argument.

So, are those people evil, or just stupid?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 01:24:18 AM »
So, are those people evil, or just stupid?

Yes.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 01:35:33 AM »
Monkeyleg, you bastard. I read the quote

Please remember that the main reason one wants a gun is because one imagines needing a gun. But one of the reasons that person has never actually needed a gun in the past was because he or she was not carrying one.

And I can feel my IQ dropping every time I read it. It's killing my brain cells. I could smoke some crack and do less damage than that sentence did. It's simply that *expletive deleted*ing retarded. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

It's much like this strip:

We should turn this type of logic around and use it on them. It'd be a field day...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 02:51:08 AM »
I too can feel little grey cells fleeing my skull cavity as I try to comprehend teh stoopid.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:12:43 AM »
I think what they are trying to say is a variation on the "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" idea.  They are saying that if you didn't have a gun, you would find a non-violent solution to whatever comes your way.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 08:56:09 AM »
I think what they are trying to say is a variation on the "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" idea.  They are saying that if you didn't have a gun, you would find a non-violent solution to whatever comes your way.

And they truly believe that. They think a gun will only "escalate" the problem and if you just talked calmly everyone would work it out.

They also may know that if they had a gun they would use it on people with whom they are angry and believe we are just the same.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:02:03 AM »

Nobody is actually literally stupid enough to believe that.

...I hope.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 09:28:25 AM »
Nobody is actually literally stupid enough to believe that.

...I hope.

You've not met enough starry-eyed liberals.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:45:52 AM »
I'm in graduate school.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 09:58:43 AM »
I'm in graduate school.

I'm aware of that. Israeli starry-eyed leftists may have more of reality smacking them in the face what with being surrounded by enemies.

American leftists live in a nice, safe cocoon.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 10:11:44 AM »
I have  met a person who personally kissed Yassir Arafat. On the mouth. And who believed the founding of Israel was 'the Holocaust of the Palestinian people'. The fact he had been a decorated combat infantryman in 1973 changed little.

I have met a person who believed technological progress is evil. I have heard a person say "Of course Indian children are happy not to be starving due to Borlaug's work, but, on the other hand..."

I have seen people who disrupted classes to hold 're-enactments' of the terrible suffering of the Palestinian people at security checkpoints.

I have seen people - many of them Jews - put on fake 'Palestinian' garb and disrupt studies by shouting "With blood, and fire, we will regain Palestine!" in Arabic.

The bar is set really low here.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 10:13:08 AM »

They? You mean it took more than one person to write that letter, and it still was full of specious (at best) logic?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 10:15:14 AM »
You've not met enough starry-eyed liberals.

But he's talked to some of our moderators...

Speaking of stupidity and confrontation, there were two small towns where I grew up, that developed a rivalry. Some mouth-breather actually wrote to the paper, suggesting that the two towns have a rumble, to decide which town was best.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 11:04:27 AM »
But he's talked to some of our moderators...

Speaking of stupidity and confrontation, there were two small towns where I grew up, that developed a rivalry. Some mouth-breather actually wrote to the paper, suggesting that the two towns have a rumble, to decide which town was best.

I think I saw Springfield and Shelbyville do this on 'The Simpsons'.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 12:08:47 PM »
I don't even worry about it anymore. Since the Legislature scheduled the first hearing for tomorrow, that's a really good sign CCW has been fast-tracked, and we may well see a vote by June.

Any objections by the population at large, or the likes of Jeri Boniva at WAVE are moot. We just need to ride the legislature to get the best bill we can. I suspect we'll get an ultra-clean shall-issue bill, and that the Constitutional Carry bill is sacrificial to draw the bulk of the fire of anti's and libtards.

The fact that the Constitutional Carry bill has some big oversights like forgetting a second tier of optional shall-issue permits for reciprocity with other states makes me think this is a throw-away bill.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 12:29:17 PM »
The fact that the Constitutional Carry bill has some big oversights like forgetting a second tier of optional shall-issue permits for reciprocity with other states makes me think this is a throw-away bill.

Even with Republicans having control of both chambers and the governor's office, and having stood up to the public unions, they're not going to take a beating for passing permit-less carry.

I suspect that the constitutional carry bill was introduced to mollify those who demand nothing less than permit-less carry ("See? We tried."), and also to make it seem like they were being reasonable by passing a bill that requires permits, rather than that risky and dangerous constitutional carry bill.

Of course, the only reason that Republicans are going to pass a carry bill is because they imagine that they need to pass a carry bill. One of the reasons that they never needed to pass a carry bill was that Wisconsin never had one. (For those of you in Rio Linda, please reference the quote from the letter in my first post).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:33:28 PM by Monkeyleg »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 02:03:45 PM »
Even with Republicans having control of both chambers and the governor's office, and having stood up to the public unions, they're not going to take a beating for passing permit-less carry.

I suspect that the constitutional carry bill was introduced to mollify those who demand nothing less than permit-less carry ("See? We tried."), and also to make it seem like they were being reasonable by passing a bill that requires permits, rather than that risky and dangerous constitutional carry bill.

Of course, the only reason that Republicans are going to pass a carry bill is because they imagine that they need to pass a carry bill. One of the reasons that they never needed to pass a carry bill was that Wisconsin never had one. (For those of you in Rio Linda, please reference the quote from the letter in my first post).

I wouldn't paint them all with the same brush. I have Grothman and Strochota representing me, both of which would want to pass the Constitutional carry on principal* if nothing else. On the other side are the squishy rinos like luther olsen who need to be voted out.

*They would pass it just so that no new state bureacracies are formed for licensing. :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Let's see if I can mimic this logic. Simply by carrying condoms on my person, I can vastly increase my chances of having a spontaneous orgy - and in fact, the reason I have never encountered a spontaneous orgy is because I do not run around with condoms at all times.

More accurately, because tons of people survived driving before seat belts were mandatory, (or even available) seat belts are absolutely unnecessary.  Moreover, seat belts cause wrecks and should be banned.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 03:46:45 PM »
Well, no - I haven't been murdered yet.

But then if I had, I wouldn't be needing a gun anymore either.

;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »
This is also ironic, because it's the current State Supreme Court affirmative defense to being caught illegally carrying right now.

"You must have a reasonable belief that you may be the victim of violent crime by having been a victim once before."  [tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 04:11:36 PM »
"You must have a reasonable belief that you may be the victim of violent crime by having been a victim once before."

I was attacked by a cat once, does that count?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama