Author Topic: Pretzel logic on CCW in Wisconsin  (Read 54051 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Pretzel logic on CCW in Wisconsin
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2011, 11:30:06 PM »
From the newspaper that keeps giving, I give you tonight's letter to the editor:

CONCEALED CARRY

Law would take state back to Wild West

According to Will Steinhaus' May 12 letter to the editor, Wisconsinites need "constitutional carry." Avoiding school zones, not being able to carry in a vehicle and other "red tape" under Wisconsin's current open carry law is too "impractical."

Never mind that road rage would take on a whole new meaning, and one could legally be strapped on the sidewalk next to children playing at recess.

Steinhaus and those who agree with him demonstrate how far some are removed from reality. It is ridiculous to tie up the court systems with such nonsense when real problems loom, such as a diminishing public school system, high unemployment and skyrocketing tuition for higher education.

The future of Wisconsin, as Steinhaus and friends see it, will be uneducated and jobless so long as it is allowable to carry deadly weapons.

Some inner city Milwaukee neighborhoods with little education, high unemployment and a sizable percentage carrying firearms (though many times not legally) yield the highest murder rates in the state.

How will the rest of Wisconsin fare under similar circumstances? It is time to concentrate on issues that better society, not attempt to devolve back to the Wild West.

Brian Holmes
West Allis

Is this guy even aware that there are forty-nine other states in the United States, much less forty-eight other states with some form of CCW? Couldn't the Journal Sentinel editors put a little disclaimer after his letter to indicate that they're publishing it as satire?

Wild West? Road rage? Boy, wait until this guy sees the first episodes of "Seinfeld" and hears about Bill Clinton, the governor of Arkansas. It looks like the 90's will be an interesting decade.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2011, 11:53:38 PM »
This is the best part:

The future of Wisconsin, as Steinhaus and friends see it, will be uneducated and jobless so long as it is allowable to carry deadly weapons.

I don't know what it means, but it's funny. It's also funny that he's already forgotten his position from the first part of the letter, where he said that carrying deadly weapons was already legal in Wisconsin.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2011, 05:29:18 AM »
It is ridiculous to tie up the court systems with such nonsense when real problems loom, such as a diminishing public school system, high unemployment and skyrocketing tuition for higher education.

What does this person think the courts do?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2011, 09:50:28 AM »
Some inner city Milwaukee neighborhoods with little education, high unemployment and a sizable percentage carrying firearms (though many times not legally) yield the highest murder rates in the state.

Good timing. This happened right outside my workplace yeasterday:  http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/121901049.html
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »
Good timing. This happened right outside my workplace yeasterday:  http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/121901049.html

Yeah, no need for self defense in WI.

I once had a reporter call from a small, minority-focused newspaper. One of his first questions was, "why do we need to let people carry weapons in Wisconsin?" I told him that, despite assurances from the former governor that Wisconsin was a safe state, there were over 12,000 homicides, assaults, rapes and other violent crimes every year. His response was basically, "so what?", to which I said that if he can accept 12,000 violent crimes as a tolerable level of violence, then there was nothing for us to talk about.

I also love this line you quoted:

A "sizable percentage" carrying firearms, "though, many times not legally"? Buddy, nobody is carrying firearms legally in the inner city or anywhere else in the state unless he/she is wearing a badge. Those people carrying are criminals or, once in awhile, a law-abiding citizen trying to protect himself from criminals, a protection you want to remain illegal.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2011, 10:48:01 AM »
one could legally be strapped on the sidewalk next to children playing at recess.

So ... ???

Funny thing was when one of my daughters asked why all daddys didn't carry a gun to protect their children?  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2011, 11:50:36 AM »
A "sizable percentage" carrying firearms, "though, many times not legally"? Buddy, nobody is carrying firearms legally in the inner city or anywhere else in the state unless he/she is wearing a badge. Those people carrying are criminals or, once in awhile, a law-abiding citizen trying to protect himself from criminals, a protection you want to remain illegal.
Dick,
 I was just quoting a snippet from the letter. I totally agree with you, even if the 'potential victims' who live and work in this area don't.

I just quoted that portion to put an exclamation point on the fact that there are a lot of criminals running amongst the unarmed and very much naive liberal population.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:53:51 AM by brimic »

Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »
Dick,
 I was just quoting a snippet from the letter. I totally agree with you, even if the 'potential victims' who live and work in this area don't.

I just quoted that portion to put an exclamation point on the fact that there are a lot of criminals running amongst the unarmed and very much naive liberal population.

Dick knows that. You're not uh... knowing he knew you knew you er...  ???
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2011, 12:57:49 PM »
Yes, I didn't know that he knew that I knew that he knew.....

Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2011, 02:48:35 PM »
What? What did I knew? ;)

BMacklem

« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2011, 10:38:53 PM »
I don't know....FIRSt BASE!!!

Oh yeah, the reason I posted on this.... you think the letters to the editor are brain killing? watch this...if you dare.

It's safe for work, but it's definately nsfbc....not safe for brain cells....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TOmYwnfXKU&feature=share

The title alone should make your heads explode.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2011, 10:53:16 PM »
Simple logic defies this.

If we gun owners truly were the bloodthirsty lot they say we are, none of them would be here to argue with us.  =)
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »
Oh yeah, the reason I posted on this.... you think the letters to the editor are brain killing? watch this...if you dare. It's safe for work, but it's definately nsfbc....not safe for brain cells....

I'm glad I saw some of this guy's videos. That way, after he blows up his local GOP campaign headquarters, I can say I knew him when. Let us briefly ponder three of his interesting ideas.

1. If marijuana is legalized, all farmers will switch to the much more lucrative cannabis crop. No food will be grown.

2. Unless gun owners load their weapons with rubber or synthetic bullets, they are premeditated murderers. Synthetic bullets are best; they are like clay or chewing gum.

3. Most NRA members are former klansmen. (He does not supply figures on how large this would make the KKK.)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2011, 11:00:34 PM »
Owww! My head!

That guy is so far out there that I'd bet Sarah Brady would disavow any connection with him.

Sadly, his very existence makes the case for the pro-abortion crowd.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2011, 11:19:45 PM »
More deliciousness from Timothy Allen Campbell:

http://gotimothy.dyndns-free.com/
I will donate One Thousand Dollars to be used Towards Lawyer Fees to make sure the automobile manufacturers pay Ashlyn Schaffer one trillion dollars, or get their spinal cord cut as the Bible demands. It's their Choice. The automobile manufacturers knew that was not God's will to manufacture cars. The Amish told them that 50 years ago.
Well, at least he's consistent. He doesn't think anyone should have a car, either.

Oh, maybe not. It seems that his Constitution protects his right to defend himself by running over anyone with a gun, who is not in a police uniform.
http://www.examiner.com/la-in-los-angeles/timothy-allen-campbell-video

Many of his writings may be purchased here:
http://www.angelfire.com/oz/gotimothy/writing.htm

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2011, 12:42:58 AM »
^^^ The Bible demands cutting of the spinal cord?  I must have missed that reference.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2011, 01:03:07 AM »
^^^ The Bible demands cutting of the spinal cord?  I must have missed that reference.

You haven't been cutting spinal cords? Dude. You've only got till Saturday, so you'd better get to cuttin', if you wanna make the rapture.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2011, 08:46:43 AM »
I don't know....FIRSt BASE!!!

Oh yeah, the reason I posted on this.... you think the letters to the editor are brain killing? watch this...if you dare.

It's safe for work, but it's definately nsfbc....not safe for brain cells....

The title alone should make your heads explode.

This guy actually states that the reason he knows all gun owners are murderers is because he was once robbed, and afterwards he wanted to buy a gun to "hunt down" the robber.   :facepalm:

Link to that timestamp (1:20) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TOmYwnfXKU#?t=1m20s

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:49:55 AM by CNYCacher »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2011, 09:15:34 AM »
This guy actually states that the reason he knows all gun owners are murderers is because he was once robbed, and afterwards he wanted to buy a gun to "hunt down" the robber.   :facepalm:

Link to that timestamp (1:20) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TOmYwnfXKU#?t=1m20s

And then he says that all black people look the same to him.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2011, 10:09:54 AM »
I suspect he's lonely. He really ought to look up "Rainbow Sprinkler Lady" and ask her out on a date, and they can share thoughts about HAARP and Chemtrails over some tater-skins at the local TGI Friday's, then go see a movie...
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2011, 11:31:23 PM »
I swear, reading the Journal Sentinel lately is more entertaining than going to a White Castle or George Webb at 3 am.

Today's offering from Milwaukee's esteemed daily:

CONCEALED CARRY

Don't carry a gun; carry Mace instead

I am writing to express my opinion on the proposed concealed gun legislation based upon considerable personal experience.

While I reside in Wisconsin most of the year, I spend my summers in the mountain West. In all my meanderings in the mountains, I have encountered many dangerous wild animals - bears, mountain lions and moose.

Despite a number of close calls, I have never been worried about my safety because I always carry Mace with me. If pepper spray or Mace will repel the attack of an enraged grizzly bear, it will promptly immobilize a would-be assailant or rapist.

More important, it will not kill or injure anyone carrying it for "personal protection."

Carrying a concealed firearm - legal or illegal - is a dangerous proposition. Choose Mace in a gun's place. In the strongest terms available to me, I beseech you not to enact legislation permitting the carrying of concealed firearms.

Whether licensed or unlicensed, it is foolhardy at best, deadly at worst. There is, after all, a far better alternative to ensuring personal safety. Choose Mace in a gun's place.

Daniel O. Holland
Plover

Well, at least he "beseeches", rather than being demanding. That's rather polite, don't you think? With that degree of charm, he probably doesn't need a gun to protect himself from bad guys when he can sweet talk them instead.

Too bad he doesn't tell us if he ever really used the Mace on a grizzly and, if so, how it worked. He's alive, so chances are he didn't use it. If he did, he's lucky to be alive after irritating a very large bear with a Cajun condiment.

And this: Choose Mace in a gun's place. I was waiting for the next sentence to read, "Burma Shave".

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2011, 11:47:29 PM »
ROTFL!   :laugh:

If pepper spray or Mace will repel the attack of an enraged grizzly bear, it will promptly immobilize a would-be assailant or rapist.

That is a mighty big IF. I beseech us all to have such touching and child-like faith that every consumer product lives up to its marketing.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2011, 08:20:47 AM »
Daniel O. Holland
Plover

Ah yes, the mean streets of Plover. About the only thing up there that might cause you harm is if you accidentally step in front of a potato truck. =D
As if I'm going to take self protection advice from Dr Dolittle ;/

Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2011, 11:43:47 PM »
There's more today, folks. I think that as the bill gets closer to being passed, the opponents get even stranger.

A radical bill

Should we pass a concealed-carry law with no restrictions and conditions? I agree that this is a radical irresponsible bill. How can our new governor of five months propose legislation in yet another area that was never mentioned in his campaign? What is happening to dismantle the laws of this previously progressive state? I am appalled and outraged.

Kathleen Gruenewald
Shorewood

Um, Kathleen, Governor Walker did say in his campaign that he would sign any CCW bill that hit his desk. Also, governors do not traditionally propose legislation, they sign or veto it. In this case, the bill was proposed and authored by a Republican member of the assembly. Oh, and God forbid that the laws of "this previously progressive state" should be dismantled. I'm sure there are more just like you who preferred having innocent people maimed or killed with no legal means of defense. How progressive.

Permit, training needed

I am very concerned about this approach to carrying weapons. I have never owned a gun, do not wish to, nor do I wish to limit gun ownership for responsible citizens.

It concerns me that the person next to me - who I usually do not know well - could have a firearm on his or her body in a state where it could accidentally discharge, and I had absolutely no idea that this person is armed.

I have a small retail shop. The thought that anyone entering the 900-square-foot area with a weapon could wreak havoc on the entire shop by simply stumbling is more than I care to think a lot about.

I certainly hope that cooler heads prevail and some type of permit and training are required for any concealed-carry legislation.

Sara von Tresckow
Fond du Lac

Sara, it's perfectly obvious by your second paragraph that you know nothing about guns, meaning your first paragraph was unnecessary. Guns don't just "accidentally discharge." Even if they did, you make it sound as thought it would be okay if one accidentally discharged, so long as you knew the person was armed. Would it make you feel better if people came into your shop and said, "hey, Sara, I'm armed today, so make sure you're clear in case my gun just goes off"?

You apparently don't understand physics too well, either. A gun--even a S&W .50 Magnum--isn't going to "wreak havoc" in a 900 square foot shop. It's not a rocket propelled grenade or a stick of C4.

Go back to watching "American Idol", and stop trying to make sense with your writing. It doesn't suit you.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2011, 02:30:10 AM »
<lukewarm "loyal opposition">

Letters to the editor are generally subject to "editing for clarity and brevity."

I have had several letters so mangled that my point came out almost backwards.

The "stupidity" might have been generated on an editor's desk.

</lukewarm "loyal opposition">
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.