Author Topic: Texas Campus Carry status?  (Read 3147 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Texas Campus Carry status?
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:49:05 PM »
Figured I'd start a thread so folks could keep us "up to the minute" on whether it gets past the House.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Pharmacology

• friends
Re: Texas Campus Carry status?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 08:33:25 PM »
All is I know I'm pretty stoked.
I bought a tuckable holster when they introduced the legislation, as I thought it was a shoe-in.

I'm a member of the Texas chapter of Students for Concealed Carry on Facebook, so I'll post any important updates they send me

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:43:26 PM »
The House was supposed to be having meetings on it today.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:27:30 AM »
        Senate Bill 1581 was just passed out of the House Appropriations Committee with Senator Wentworth's campus carry amendment still attached. That's great news! This is what we need you to do now (shouldn't take more than 2 minutes total).

1. Call or fax the office of Texas Speaker of the House Joe Straus, and ask him to support Senate Bill 1581 and work to ensure that Senator Wentworth’s campus carry amendment remains intact.

Speaker Joe Straus
        Phone: (512) 463-1000
        Fax: (512) 463-0675 (use FaxZero.com to send two free faxes per day from your web browser)

3. Contact YOUR Texas State Representative, and ask him or her to support Senate Bill 1581 and work to ensure that Senator Wentworth's campus carry amendment remains intact. You can look up your Texas State Representative here:

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/

Thank you so much for your support! We wouldn't have made it this far without people like you.

--Students for Concealed Carry on Campus

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 02:42:52 PM »
Thanks Big Pharma!

=D

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 12:11:27 AM »
It still has to pass two votes in the house, but I think things are looking up for TX students!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 12:42:27 AM »
It still has to pass two votes in the house, but I think things are looking up for TX students!

I just want you to win for leverage against my own state school.  =D

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:58:13 PM »
This is from Monday 5/16

Looks like an attempt to limit amendments.

That's movement.

SB 1581 - COMMITTEE ON CALENDARS RULE ADOPTED
Representative Hunter moved to suspend all necessary rules and, pursuant to
Rule 3, Section 5(2) and Rule 6, Section 16(f) of the House Rules, moved to
adopt the following rule governing floor consideration for SB 1581:Each original amendment to SB 1581 that will be offered during second
reading consideration must be filed with the chief clerk not later than 2 p.m. on
Tuesday, May 17.
The motion to suspend all necessary rules prevailed and the Committee on
Calendars rule was adopted by (Record 1109): 142 Yeas, 0 Nays, 1 Present, not
voting.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »
Leafing through yesterday's activity.

No mention of SB 1581 but  it looks like soon y'all will be able to hunt feral hogs and coyotes from helicopters. Yee-haw!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 02:15:28 PM »
There were no Amendments offered on Tuesday that I could find (and they had to be).  Yesterday (Wednesday) the original combined bill, apparently without the Senate amendment on Carry attached, had its debate delayed until 8 am today (Thursday).  I assume so there will be enough time to deal with the Carry amendment.  Note that no amendments in the House were requested on Tuesday so they should simply be discussing the bill as it passed the Senate.

Anyone know how the vote on the standalone bill went in the Texas House last time?

CSSB 1581 ON SECOND READING
(Pitts - House Sponsor)
CSSB 1581, A bill to be entitled An Act relating to state fiscal matters, and certain public health and safety matters, related to public and higher education; providing penalties.

Representative Pitts moved to postpone consideration of CSSB 1581 until 8 a.m. tomorrow.

The motion prevailed.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 06:22:29 PM »
If I recall correctly, in 2009, the House didn't present any difficulty.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »
If I recall correctly, in 2009, the House didn't present any difficulty.

As of 3:30 today it was delayed again.

How long until the session ends?

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 09:55:54 PM »
UGH:

Dear Campus Carry Advocates:

As you may or may not have heard, the campus carry amendment to Senate Bill 1581 was killed in the Texas House, on the point of order that it violated the Texas Constitutional rule against a bill addressing more than one subject.

As things stand right now, we have only a couple of options remaining. One potential option would be to attach the language of HB 2178, the decriminalization only or “compromise” version of our campus carry bill, to Senate Bill 905, a bill dealing with other aspects of concealed carry law. But in order for that to be an option, the House Calendars Committee MUST place SB 905 on the House calendar IMMEDIATELY.

Please call these members (and only these members) of the House Calendars Committee, and tell them that if they truly support campus carry, they will place SB 905 on the House calendar as soon as possible so that it can be amended to include the language of HB 2178, the “campus carry compromise” bill:

Rep. Todd Hunter (committee chair) - (512) 463-0672
        Rep. Dennis Bonnen (committee vice chair) - (512) 463-0564
        Rep. John Zerwas - (512) 463-0657
        Rep. Charlie Geren - (512) 463-0610
        Rep. Byron Cook - (512) 463-0730
        Rep. Lois W. Kolkhorst - (512) 463-0600
        Rep. Tracy O. King - (512) 463-0194
        Rep. Vicki Truitt - (512) 463-0690
        Rep. Jim Keffer - (512) 463-0656
        Rep. Burt R. Solomons - (512) 463-0478

Feel free to call once a day through Sunday.

Sincerely,

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:34:35 PM by Pharmacology »

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 01:33:36 AM »
Looks like I'll never be able to carry in class.   =|

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »
Looks like I'll never be able to carry in class.   =|

Quitter.  =D

This is a game of inches.

They got it throught the Senate, they've got it through the House.  All they have to do is do both at the same time. 

Don't be one of the "all or nothing" maroons, even if you can get a "compromise" bill passed you'll have broken the seal and set up legislative "fixes" (which are a lot easier to get through than a whole hog new law) and court challenges on equal protection and other grounds for the future.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 01:45:20 PM »
Hehehe  =)

What I meant is that it's looking like the only way this is getting through is if Perry shoves it through as an education issue... which I can't imagine happening.

Also, I graduate before the next session, so there's that :)

Quitter.  =D

This is a game of inches.

They got it throught the Senate, they've got it through the House.  All they have to do is do both at the same time. 

Don't be one of the "all or nothing" maroons, even if you can get a "compromise" bill passed you'll have broken the seal and set up legislative "fixes" (which are a lot easier to get through than a whole hog new law) and court challenges on equal protection and other grounds for the future.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 01:47:29 PM »
Hehehe  =)

What I meant is that it's looking like the only way this is getting through is if Perry shoves it through as an education issue... which I can't imagine happening.

Also, I graduate before the next session, so there's that :)

So you are selfish and hate underclassmen, I see how it is.  ;)

Why on earth are you leaving the warm safety of academia in today's job market anyway?  Go for another BA or BS. =)

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 01:53:17 PM »
So you are selfish and hate underclassmen, I see how it is.  ;)

Why on earth are you leaving the warm safety of academia in today's job market anyway?  Go for another BA or BS. =)

Actually, yeah; I do hate underclassmen. :laugh:  I've been kept up till 3am the night before a test enough times to resent those guys

Heheh, my doctorate ( PharmD) will keep me pretty cozy after I leave the shelter of the college