Author Topic: Raise Debt Limit or TEOTWAWKI - Geithner  (Read 16910 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Raise Debt Limit or TEOTWAWKI - Geithner
« on: May 15, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »
http://nationaljournal.com/economy/geithner-predicts-double-dip-if-congress-fails-to-lift-debt-ceiling-20110514

Geithner says we'll have a double-dip recession if we don't raise the debt ceiling, and the US defaults on its debt, intimating that if we don't raise the debt ceiling, a default is inevitable. Because we can't be bothered to reduce spending.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Raise Debt Limit or TEOTWAWKI - Geithner
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 01:08:56 PM »
Geithner is a *******    We are not going to default, there's enough tax revenue coming in to pay.  Maybe some aspects of govt. will have to be defunded but that isn't so terrible.
Geithner is indulging in Obama administration scare tactics, that's all.

Oh .... he's paid his taxes for 2010, right? >:D :-* :-* [tinfoil] ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:59:41 PM »
Geithner says we'll have a double-dip recession if we don't raise the debt ceiling, and the US defaults on its debt, intimating that if we don't raise the debt ceiling, a default is inevitable. Because we can't be bothered to reduce spending.

But do you think we'll actually reduce spending?  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 02:02:35 PM »
To the leftists, TEOTWAWKI is cutting gov't spending.

To the rest of us, it's a Good Thing to slash gov't spending.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 02:15:13 PM »
But do you think we'll actually reduce spending?  =|
Not in any meaningful way. The party of borrow and spend will happily increase the debt limit at the behest of the party of tax and spend.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 03:04:16 PM »
We're headed off a cliff, and it doesn't really matter much if we're on the left hand track or the right hand track.  =(

Anyway, let's say you have a huge mortgage, three car payments, and $200K of credit card debt.  Instead of not going out to eat every day, you get your credit card limit increased.  That will fix the problem, right ?   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 03:10:15 PM »
Geithner's job is to make sure the right people get richer.  He knows who he works for.  You can't build prosperity by borrowing beyond your means ad infinitum; even a Secretary of the Treasury should understand that.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
TEOTWAWKI - let's do it.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 10:58:05 PM »
Let's do it, but let's find a shorter acronym. =D
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 11:25:27 PM »
Bring on the TIKIWIKI.

Let's just have the show-down and be done with it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:33:32 AM »
Geithner, who has already suspended a program that helps state and local government manage their finances, will begin to borrow from retirement funds for federal workers

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/treasury-to-tap-pensions-to-help-fund-government/2011/05/15/AF2fqK4G_story.html

oops, I meant to post this in the 401k thread, yet I'll leave it here as it is somewhat apropos.

The inconceivable will be foisted upon us to forestall TEOTWAWKI, for the children...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:37:04 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 12:46:48 PM »
Bring on the TIKIWIKI.

???  ???

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 01:06:18 PM »
Bring on the TIKIWIKI.

???  ???

No, not tinkiwinki.  TIKIWIKI.  A mocking name of TEOTWAWKI. 

Halting the debt at 14.whatever trillion dollars won't hurt the PRODUCTIVE people in this country.

Raising taxes on the PRODUCTIVE people in this country will hurt both the productive people, and the welfare leaches.  But the PRODUCTIVE people will find a way to survive it, while the leaches will either fade off or be re-educated.

And raising taxes on the PRODUCTIVE people will really rile us up and motivate us to put some people in Congress that make the TEA Party look downright moderate.  Watch the spending slashes after that!

It won't be TEOTW.  But it will seem like it to NPR, Teh Nooz and all the fluffy programs that we don't need.  Hence, TIKIWIKI.

I'll outlast NPR/National Endowment for the Arts/Social Security/Medicare/Obamacare and every other wasteful, non-Constitutionally-sanctioned program out there that Congress has enacted, through such a starvation cycle.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 01:15:40 PM »
In what may be a somewhat related issue..  the web account for usdebtclock.com has been suspended.   [tinfoil]

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »
In what may be a somewhat related issue..  the web account for usdebtclock.com has been suspended.   [tinfoil]
Tried usdebtclock.ORG? I did. It's...scary...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 01:36:31 PM »
er..  that was what I meant and that is the one that is suspended.

andrefitzgerald

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 04:17:12 AM »
Everybody is worrying about this non-stop issue of debt limit.Some are predicting enormous reviews and potical as well as economic turbulence for this.President Obama dealt with the debt ceiling in a White House press conference Wednesday. He was especially critical of House republicans not willing to increase the debt ceiling if taxes are raised. The president suggested congress shout "address their sac red cows" and "get it done.". Predictable, responses to the conference have been divided along party lines. I read this here: spam link removed ]Obama blasts Republicans on debt ceiling[/url].
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 09:13:06 AM by JamisJockey »

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 04:38:12 AM »
Azredhawk - how are the "productive" people going to overcome having assets denominated in a worthless currency?  Because that is what happens when governments default.

I'll be back to check on this thread if the debt limit doesn't go up; if any of you over there can still afford Internet access, I'd like to read post-default opinions about this.

I predict that the republicans will eventually cave on this, knowing (as they do) how severe the consequences will be.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 08:26:35 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/treasury-to-tap-pensions-to-help-fund-government/2011/05/15/AF2fqK4G_story.html

oops, I meant to post this in the 401k thread, yet I'll leave it here as it is somewhat apropos.

The inconceivable will be foisted upon us to forestall TEOTWAWKI, for the children...

401(k)'s are privately held...I can see them trying a weird proactive tax, but I can think of ways they could foist taxes on us that wouldn't be quite so revolution inducing as screwing the middle class...they will just start taxing assets instead of income (a la estate or property tax), and set the limit high so it affects a small (starting at 10%) but increasing fraction of the population.  Imagine a really small, yearly property/asset tax, say 1-2% on assets totaling greater than $1m...

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 09:12:38 AM »
Everybody is worrying about this non-stop issue of debt limit.Some are predicting enormous reviews and potical as well as economic turbulence for this.President Obama dealt with the debt ceiling in a White House press conference Wednesday. He was especially critical of House republicans not willing to increase the debt ceiling if taxes are raised. The president suggested congress shout "address their sac red cows" and "get it done.". Predictable, responses to the conference have been divided along party lines. I read this here: /]Obama blasts Republicans on debt ceiling[/url].

Spambot must die.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »
Azredhawk - how are the "productive" people going to overcome having assets denominated in a worthless currency?  Because that is what happens when governments default.

I'll be back to check on this thread if the debt limit doesn't go up; if any of you over there can still afford Internet access, I'd like to read post-default opinions about this.

I predict that the republicans will eventually cave on this, knowing (as they do) how severe the consequences will be.

And not allowing more debt spending means default....how again?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 11:32:43 AM »
And not allowing more debt spending means default....how again?

Indeed.  The treasury can choose to pay whichever accounts it chooses, with the revue it gets (well, kind of, dept service is constitutionally mandated as being paid first).  Given that, I can however see Obama and his exec. Branch choosing the most fear-mongering and feel the pain choices (visible services, entitlements for the most needy and press worthy) possible to force public opinion to their side.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 03:05:10 PM »
Indeed.  The treasury can choose to pay whichever accounts it chooses, with the revue it gets (well, kind of, dept service is constitutionally mandated as being paid first).  Given that, I can however see Obama and his exec. Branch choosing the most fear-mongering and feel the pain choices (visible services, entitlements for the most needy and press worthy) possible to force public opinion to their side.

This is exactly what the Obama administration will do.  They will make a bad situation worse to score political points, consequences be damned.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 03:17:30 PM »
This is exactly what the Obama administration will do.  They will make a bad situation worse to score political points, consequences be damned.

First make things worse is the cornerstone of Saul Alinsky's communitynorganizing strategy, it's unsurprising those steeped in that area would follow it...in the same vein as hunger strikes, union walkouts, and other things, it garners attention, then you offer an "easy" solution.  Since the well off arent visibly hurt by the initial activities, they are easy to hold up as a de facto target, and blammo. (for results see Russia 1917-present)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 03:34:37 PM »

Whatever the welfare society is given by government, the productive people will ALWAYS have more.  If they don't... the productive will either stop being productive or they will pursue a dramatic correction of income redistribution (such as insurrection or secession). 

So, whatever hurts the productive... will always hurt the welfare society MORE. 

You're right... losing assets or asset value will hurt the productive society a lot.  But when it comes to the daily grind of keeping the rain off your head and food in your mouth, productive people will be ahead of the curve when compared to welfare recipients.

And productive people will ride that storm.  When the moochers come to take food out of their very mouths and try to redistribute it to the welfare society, however, there will be conflict. 

It seems we as a society are REALLY AVERSE to having the welfare debate unless it REALLY HURTS.

TIKIWIKI will really hurt.  But it won't be the end of the world.  We all might lose big chunks of our 401k's and stocks and such.  But the wealth potential our country will have, once we axe our social programs once and for all, will make such an investment worthwhile ten times over.  Productive people will recoup their loses, and then some.

Where we sit right now, we have financial assassins heading our government and alley thugs down the street waiting to steal the scraps.

I'm all for doing something to disenfranchise the financial assassins, and turn the alley thugs into the outlaws they should be.  But to do that, we have to force their hand and make them bare their blades for all to see.
--Lysander Spooner