Author Topic: How to re-sticky a holster  (Read 5147 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
How to re-sticky a holster
« on: May 19, 2011, 11:49:21 PM »
I have a desantis nemesis holster for my j frame for daily carry.  The outside of it is textured and is very sticky with the idea of keeping the holster in my pocket and off the gun if I draw.  It worked great but 2 years on it isn't sticky anymore.  Figuring I did not have a lot to lose I cleaned the outside of it with dish soap to degrease it.  It cleaned up nice but is no stickier.

Unless one of you has a better plan I'm going to clean it up good again and hit the outside with the silicon caulking in a very thin layer to make it sticky again.  Any better ideas?

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: How to re-sticky a holster
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:58:05 PM »
Rubber cement?
"It's good, though..."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:58:52 PM »
Well, considering that you're carrying the gun to possibly save your life, and the holster can be found at places like this for about $15...

splurge. ;)

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 12:16:40 AM »
There's no easy way to add the tacky layer back on without causing further issues. As ML said, spend the ~$20. It's your life, and you're worth splurging. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:33:11 AM »
They make "non-skid" material that you can put under a throw rug to keep it from sliding around on a smooth floor - it's usually a mesh coated with some rubbery compound. Gluing this to the holser would probably work. It's sold at home stores, probably Wally Mart.

But for the price, why not get a new holster . . . (Which reminds me, my Uncle Mike's J-frame pocket holster has also lost some of its stickiness . I really ought to replace it myself.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 09:49:30 AM »
Bah!  You guys are stifling my frugalness...  stifling I say!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 09:58:56 AM »
Stick-Em!

Skateboard tape.

Rubber cement.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »
-giggity-

That is all.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 03:08:29 PM »
Get one of the mods to sticky it for you  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 06:48:46 PM »
Duct tape, or the real fix.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 07:34:07 PM »
I just realized what you could use that would be PERFECT. Moleskin! It should be under $5 at most drugstores, more than enough, and it'll stick to the holster and give enough friction for a pocket holster. It's what I recall using, anyway. :)

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 03:04:25 AM »
Hm.

Wiki:

In moviemaking.  A moleskin is also a flesh coloured piece of adhesive cloth used in filmmaking to cover up genitals in order to maintain propriety in non-explicit nude scenes (i. e. ones where nudity is suggested but not shown).[citation needed]

Couldn't resist.  Couldn't resist.  I'm weak as water.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:08:41 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 03:29:06 AM »
In moviemaking.  A moleskin is also a flesh coloured piece of adhesive cloth used in filmmaking to cover up genitals in order to maintain propriety in non-explicit nude scenes (i. e. ones where nudity is suggested but not shown).[citation needed]

I say again: giggity.

;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:58:21 PM by Matthew Carberry »
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 09:03:04 AM »
So, PTK, you're advising making some mole pay the ultimate price just so 41magsnub can save $15 on a new holster (or so actors can cover their genitals)?

PTK

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
Not just SOME mole, the rare 100% cotton mole, even. ;)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 10:31:37 AM »
Hey, if you want some moles to skin, you can have all you can catch at our place.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 11:45:20 AM »
It's your life, and you're worth splurging. :)

Are you sure about that?  It is 41magsnub, you know.   >:D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 11:48:16 AM »
Hey, if you want some moles to skin, you can have all you can catch at our place.  =)

That reminds me - you have armadillos and prairie dogs on your land, yes?

I DO have interested folks who also have .22lrs, silenced or not. Perhaps sometime this summer if you'd like your Saiga converted we can make a trade. ;)

Are you sure about that?  It is 41magsnub, you know.   >:D

I'd like to be serious, for a moment. 41magsnub treated me with unbelievable kindness at a point in my life where I was down in the dumps, broke, moody due to medical issues, and had no friends in Montana. He's one of the finest Montanans I know.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »
I'd like to be serious, for a moment. 41magsnub treated me with unbelievable kindness at a point in my life where I was down in the dumps, broke, moody due to medical issues, and had no friends in Montana. He's one of the finest Montanans I know.

The good ones are hard to find, PTK.  My comment was meant to be in jest, and hopefully was not offensive to you.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 12:54:03 PM »
My favorite winter coat has huge pockets in which my J-frame kept flipping over so it presented itself butt-upward all the time.  I made a temporary pocket liner out of cardboard and duct tape to hold it upright, with a slight flare on top so it would not interfere if I had to grab it.  I made it just big enough so the liner would not come out of the pocket if I had to draw.  (In fact, a "draw" in that coat would not be necessary.  If need be, I could shoot right from the pocket.  I don't know what the law says on shooting from the pocket without visibly presenting the firearm first.)

My intention was that if it worked, I would make a "real" one out of stiff leather.  But it worked so well that I never bothered making one out of leather.  The first one finally got a little too floppy, so I took five minutes and made another one.

And that's the way I carry my J-frame in that coat all the time now.  (Colorado law does not require a holster for concealed carry, but this is a "holster" of sorts.)

And yes, I'm (A) a cheapskate and (B) not afraid to try new stuff.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 12:56:28 PM »
Wiki:
In moviemaking.  A moleskin is also a flesh coloured piece of adhesive cloth used in filmmaking to cover up genitals in order to maintain propriety in non-explicit nude scenes (i. e. ones where nudity is suggested but not shown).[citation needed]

Just where is 41magsnub carrying his gun?......  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »
Quote from: PTK

The good ones are hard to find, PTK.  My comment was meant to be in jest, and hopefully was not offensive to you.

Get a room you three.  [barf]

=D

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
my J-frame kept flipping over so it presented itself butt-upward all the time.

aw, c'mon.... giggity

Quote from: 230RN
I don't know what the law says on shooting from the pocket without visibly presenting the firearm first.)

I would bet there's nothing in the law about it.  I've looked at a lot of state SD laws and none so far have required visibly presenting the weapon.  If it's a good shoot I doubt the law cares about the damage to your coat.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »

Not at all, I'm overly sensitive to comments like that sometimes. No harm done, friend. :)