Author Topic: .223 boolits from .22LR cases  (Read 11847 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: .223 boolits from .22LR cases
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 11:05:21 PM »
Since casting silver is a PIA (that's "pain-in-the-ass" makattak  :P ) I always thought swaging would be the way to go for "silver bullets".

IIRC, the really pretty ones are cast oversize in graphite molds, then polished to size on a lathe.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 11:09:19 PM »
IIRC, the really pretty ones are cast oversize in graphite molds, then polished to size on a lathe.

Right, with higher heat and handling and some kind of neutral gas puddle on top.

Take ingot or misshapen blob of silver, cut off most, lather rest round, swage into jacket.

You could build a press to mechanically extrude silver wire more easily than the process to cast it.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 12:18:15 AM »
I add 2 feet of Stay-Brite8 to every ten pounds of lead. Sn 94% Ag 6%.

It's been enough for every werewolf I've had to shoot.

Are the reamers made on the lathe or with a grinder? Or both? ;) What radius is he aiming for?

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 02:27:17 AM »
The reamers are turned down to shape in the lathe, then almost 1/2 is ground away to form a "D."  This D-reamer is then hardened and the small amount remaining is ground to exactly 1/2 the original diameter.  These are called D-reamers because in cross-section they look like a D.  The final fine-grinding and honing may be done by hand and forms two cutting edges at the points of the D.

The die is rough-formed in the lathe and finished with this D-reamer.  They are often used in developmental work.  Of course, full-fluted reamers are then custom ground if the prototypes is successful.  The cutting process with a D-reamer is slow, but it works. A pilot for the reamer is usually necessary because the forces involved in the cutting are unbalanced, unlike a multiple-flute reamer.

Incidentally, I know personally of someone who shall be nameless, but is not me, who accidentally and unknowingly used a solid silver spoon (from "Grandma," who shall also remain nameless) to stir his pot of bullet alloy.

This was told to me as solid unalloyed truth and I believe the party who told me.

He made the interesting discovery that silver is dissolved by molten lead when he left the spoon in the pot for a while.  He did cast bullets with this silver alloy.  I have no idea of the resulting percentage of silver in the alloy, or for that matter what the minimum percentage of silver is for one shot kills on zombies or vampires or werewolves or whatever.

However I would assume that an arrow or a bolt from a crossbow would be functionally identical to a wooden stake, and can be administered remotely, just like silver bullets.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:15:10 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.