Author Topic: Proms require TSA Patdowns now?  (Read 10808 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Proms require TSA Patdowns now?
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:16:44 AM »
http://www.koat.com/r-video/27979990/detail.html

Intolerable.  Absolutely intolerable.

If I had kids and they were going to be subject to this... I'd throw a counter-prom, better than the High School's prom.  With no security beyond traditional chaperones.

Young people on the verge of adulthood need to be educated on the proper way to be treated when attending a celebratory event.  It is not proper to be pat-down and magnetometer-searched, to surrender your personal property on a broad-spectrum search for "something, just in case," and to be dictated to by the whims of the State just to be allowed to freely assemble.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Proms require TSA Patdowns now?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:10:16 PM »
What. The. *expletive deleted*ck.?

This *expletive deleted*it is *expletive deleted*ing ridiculous. This mentality of we need searches, patdowns, nudie-scoping, etc in all parts of life needs to be flushed, along with the people who come up with it.

We are rapidly approaching a full blown police state that is so far reaching...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:17:23 PM »
"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward."

— Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »
What is really disgusting to me is that lots of kids this age are ok with it.  They have gone through all their school years with metal detectors, locker searches, clear backpacks, and busybody teachers and parents.  It concerns me how many kids feel this is perfectly normal, as they will soon be voting. 

This kind of stuff fells like a long term "boil the frog" strategy. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:31:11 PM »
why do you think they are ok with it?  what underlying reason?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
why do you think they are ok with it?  what underlying reason?

Because they have been acculturated to accept it ever since their first day of school.  It is presented as "normal" from the very beginning. 

That, along with the apathy of many parents.

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:12:42 PM »
does the possibility that some like knowing that their fellow students are less likely to be packing heat cross your mind?  or that in some schools the students find thats comforting and that it enhances their learning experience.  what type of school system did you grow up in? mine was pg county md and it was long enough ago that only a few folks carried in school  and a few more in their cars.  nowadays that demographic has shifted
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »
does the possibility that some like knowing that their fellow students are less likely to be packing heat cross your mind?  or that in some schools the students find thats comforting and that it enhances their learning experience.  what type of school system did you grow up in? mine was pg county md and it was long enough ago that only a few folks carried in school  and a few more in their cars.  nowadays that demographic has shifted

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Applys to kids too.  In fact you'd think that would have been covered in high school US History class.......Oh wait, nevermind.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:23:12 PM »
what type of school system did you grow up in? mine was pg county md and it was long enough ago that only a few folks carried in school  and a few more in their cars.  nowadays that demographic has shifted

I'm missing your point here.   ???

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 01:24:35 PM »
they lose the "liberty" to make choices about their own environment?  appoint you or someone else to make those decisions for em?

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
I'm missing your point here.   ???

in some areas without metal detectors a fair number of kids would be too afraid to come to school. it levels the playing field a bit.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 02:18:49 PM »
they lose the "liberty" to make choices about their own environment?  appoint you or someone else to make those decisions for em?

The "liberty" to subject other citizens to pat-downs and invasive searches?  They didn't lose that, they didn't have it to begin with.  I don't give a damn how scared they "feel".  The fact that they have managed to push through immoral crap in the name of "practicality" [spit] doesn't make it OK.

If kids are too scared to go to school without invasive searches, then the answer is to clean up their 'hood first.  I've been to area's of which you speak, and the same kids that are "afraid" embrace wholeheartedly the culture that makes the mini war zones they live in.  hang the gang leaders and drug dealers from the lampposts and that *expletive deleted*it will slow down.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 02:23:34 PM »
The "liberty" to subject other citizens to pat-downs and invasive searches?  They didn't lose that, they didn't have it to begin with.  I don't give a damn how scared they "feel".  The fact that they have managed to push through immoral crap in the name of "practicality" [spit] doesn't make it OK.

If kids are too scared to go to school without invasive searches, then the answer is to clean up their 'hood first.  I've been to area's of which you speak, and the same kids that are "afraid" embrace wholeheartedly the culture that makes the mini war zones they live in.  hang the gang leaders and drug dealers from the lampposts and that *expletive deleted* will slow down.

This. If your public school requires metal detectors to somewhat keep the thugabees in line, then I'm willing to bet that not much learning at all goes on inside once past said metal detectors and bag searches, because it's a *expletive deleted*ing zoo with the thugabees running the joint.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 02:46:54 PM »

Is there any specific reason why you would not apply this rationale to other areas of life?

How would you feel about metal detectors at, say, the entrances of public colleges? After all, no doubt (some of) the staff there would like knowing that their fellow students are less likely to be 'packing heat'?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »
Is there any specific reason why you would not apply this rationale to other areas of life?

How would you feel about metal detectors at, say, the entrances of public colleges? After all, no doubt (some of) the staff there would like knowing that their fellow students are less likely to be 'packing heat'?

It would not apply if Joe Arpaio was running things. His is the only law enforcement office capable of corruption.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 03:27:03 PM »
It would not apply if Joe Arpaio was running things. His is the only law enforcement office capable of corruption.

:laugh:
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 03:49:15 PM »
You gonna start a thread on that!? Wait, never mind.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

SteveT

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 09:20:46 PM »
It's effing ridiculous.  When I was in high school (I'm 41) we did all manner of crazy *expletive deleted*it, in and out of school.   There was a liquor store where you knocked on the back door and paid double and you could buy anything you wanted.

This is normal stuff teenagers do.   You whoop their ass.   Most of them grow up okay.

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 08:16:10 AM »
nowadays we 8 year olds bring guns to school.  the times have changed

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 08:36:28 AM »
It's effing ridiculous.  When I was in high school (I'm 41) we did all manner of crazy *expletive deleted*, in and out of school.   There was a liquor store where you knocked on the back door and paid double and you could buy anything you wanted.

This is normal stuff teenagers do.   You whoop their ass.   Most of them grow up okay.

42. We must have gone to the same school. For a nice tip the Domino's driver would buy us as much beer as we wanted. They'll never stop it, short of parents whooping ass, just like you said.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 08:38:17 AM »
Last I heard on this, the state is gonna quash it.

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 08:39:42 AM »
how?

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 08:40:53 AM »
how?

Hang on, I'll see if I can find the link...

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 08:44:19 AM »
State judicial quashed it as a violation of state law. Still looking for the link.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 08:50:30 AM »

Oops, wrong. Sorry. Fed. judge ok'd state police pat-downs instead of TSA. Still BS.

http://www.koat.com/news/27984342/detail.html