Author Topic: Proms require TSA Patdowns now?  (Read 10807 times)

red headed stranger

• friend
Re: Proms require TSA Patdowns now?
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2011, 05:59:22 PM »
when i went to school only a few folks carried and we/they were mostly a holes.  nowadays some real nice kids carry and more importantly feel like they have to. and more sadly i can't honestly tell em they are wrong.

ever wonder why fewer kids are carrying guns?  heres a hint...  when did the metal detectors become more prevalent?  and is there a possible correlation?

So, which is it?  Are more or less kids carrying guns???
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2011, 06:04:26 PM »
Fewer  ???

;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2011, 06:27:28 PM »
Metal detectors are rather uncommon even in American schools, excepting horrific inner-city districts.

really?  your experience is different than mine

I am happy that we have agreed on the conclusion that less children are carrying guns today.

you are yet again mistaken.  more kids carry today than ever.  whats worse is the type of kid who carries has shifted. but again perhaps your experience is different than mine.  i own a wand for use in remilling old lumber. i get called to use it at partys . i live in a fairly rural environment.  i get lots of guns on young kids.  kids too young to drive. more guns than knives. i had three young men that worked banquets at howard with me.  real nice squared away guys going somewhere in their lives.  the kind you want your daughter to drag home. one night the topic of guns came up and i was surprised that all 3 carried. i was forced to admit that their reasons for carry were valid

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2011, 07:02:20 PM »
http://www.schoolsecurity.org/trends/school_metal_detectors.html

The majority of schools in the United States do NOT use metal detectors on a day-to-day basis.  While there are no credible statistics on the exact number of schools using metal detectors, stationary metal detectors used on a daily basis are typically limited to large urban school districts with a chronic history of weapons-related offenses.  U.S. schools regularly using stationary metal detectors on a day-to-day basis are the exception, not the rule.

Note that the  prevalence of an event is not a matter of personal experience but a matter of statistics. I am as capable of inquiring into these statistics from here as you are from Virginia. Even if you were a school teacher - which by your own statements you are not - your experience would be at best with a handful of schools, not with the entire American school system.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2011, 07:04:36 PM »
you are yet again mistaken.  more kids carry today than ever.  whats worse is the type of kid who carries has shifted

ever wonder why fewer kids are carrying guns?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2011, 07:10:06 PM »
really?  your experience is different than mine

I live in Manassas, hardly a yuppie paradise.  None of the schools I've been to in the City, including Osbourne HS  (fed by Georgetown South), had metal detectors.  None of the schools I've been to anywhere in the past decade have had metal detectors.  I think reality is less pervasive than you'd lead us to think.

JamisJockey, your boy went to school in Hoodbridge until you moved, did his school have metal detectors?

Maybe parents on this board with kids in public schools should weigh in on the presence of metal detectors in the schools their kids attend.

Chris
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:02:49 PM by mtnbkr »

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2011, 07:32:42 PM »
I graduated from a public high school in 2004. We did not have metal detectors, and the school still doesn't.  None of the schools we played football against had them either. Neither do any of the schools in the area where I now live.

The only schools I've known to have metal detectors are either in high density urban areas or are schools for criminal youths.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

• friends
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2011, 07:34:40 PM »
http://www.nabita.org/documents/ThreatAssmtarticleSchPsyQuarterly.pdf

heres a study of one methodology and its got some stats

and another study with more stats  both studies focus on va
http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/vcss/documents/2007VA_High_School_Safety_Study_Survey_Report.pdf

they wand at dances here after a kid got stabbed to death at a dance
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2011, 07:47:29 PM »
http://www.nabita.org/documents/ThreatAssmtarticleSchPsyQuarterly.pdf

heres a study of one methodology and its got some stats

and another study with more stats  both studies focus on va
http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/vcss/documents/2007VA_High_School_Safety_Study_Survey_Report.pdf

The first study makes no reference to the prevalence of metal detectors.

According to the second study, which you yourself quoted:

However, most students  noted that they did not have metal detectors (76%) or a requirement that students wear badges or picture identification (83%)

Among teachers - again, from the same study you quoted:

However, most teachers noted that they did not  have metal detectors (89%) or a requirement for students to wear badges (93%)

Note that teachers are likely to be more knowledgeable about the school security processes than the students. At least one hopes so.

According to the article, "the accuracy of student reports can only be verified by obtaining security
information from each high school. The school safety audits completed by principals will be used for this
purpose."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:17:27 PM by MicroBalrog »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2011, 07:58:59 PM »
http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/vcss/documents/07-08 SchoolSafetyReport.pdf

This is a link to the Virginia School Safety Report 2008.

This is the official survey of school principals and superintendents on the security measures used by Virginia schools.

Page 19 tells us that "portable metal detecting wands" are used in 12% of Virginia schools. THe prevalence of fixed metal detectors is not stated, but page 20 of the same study tells us that they are "less frequent".

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2011, 08:34:44 PM »
I graduated from a public high school in 2004. We did not have metal detectors, and the school still doesn't.  None of the schools we played football against had them either. Neither do any of the schools in the area where I now live.

The only schools I've known to have metal detectors are either in high density urban areas or are schools for criminal youths.

Mirrors my experience...none of the schools in my area, not even the one specifically for the thugabees (i.e., their last chance before expulsion) have metal detectors or security screening. I'm an '06 graduate and still have a sibling in the high school I went to.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2011, 04:29:55 AM »
Them metal detectors run on electricity don't they? I'm not sure the school in my area has that stuff yet :P.

Being a rural area the local high school (at last check) didn't even ban pocket knives so long as the blade was shorter than the width of your hand.

In contrast, at a slightly larger small town school only 25 miles away, one of my nephews was suspended for having a set of fingernail clippers with the file on it, they defined that as a weapon.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

erictank

• friends
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2011, 09:33:09 AM »
I live in Manassas, hardly a yuppie paradise.  None of the schools I've been to in the City, including Osbourne HS  (fed by Georgetown South), had metal detectors.  None of the schools I've been to anywhere in the past decade have had metal detectors.  I think reality is less pervasive than you'd lead us to think.

JamisJockey, your boy went to school in Hoodbridge until you moved, did his school have metal detectors?

Maybe parents on this board with kids in public schools should weigh in on the presences of metal detectors in the schools their kids attend.

Chris

Neither Woodson High nor Frost Middle uses WTMDs.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »
As of a year or two ago, the principal/superintendent of the local school was still storing students' rifles in his office during the day during hunting season :)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »
As of a year or two ago, the principal/superintendent of the local school was still storing students' rifles in his office during the day during hunting season :)

Do the students find that comforting, and does it enhance their learning experience?  :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
I suspect the vast majority of those weaponized students used clubs (books, baseball bats in gym class, etc), with a small fraction using knives, and a statistically insignificant portion using guns.

Exactly; I whacked a bully with a desk in 5th grade.  I don't see a push to ban desks.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2011, 11:53:39 AM »
I live across the street from a public elementary school and 1/2 mile from another.  No metal detectors when I have entered the buildings.  I live 1/4 and 1/2 mile from two different public high schools, same lack.  Same for the Junior high 1/8 mile away.

Last, no metal detectors at the school I send my kids to.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »
http://www.schoolsecurity.org/trends/school_metal_detectors.html

Note that the  prevalence of an event is not a matter of personal experience but a matter of statistics. I am as capable of inquiring into these statistics from here as you are from Virginia. Even if you were a school teacher - which by your own statements you are not - your experience would be at best with a handful of schools, not with the entire American school system.

this was a dance   a prom  not everyday   and proms create a special challenge.  kids from different schools and the conflict that carries. some of the halls won't rent to you without security that meets their standards and thats wands in my area. had one fatal stabbing and a couple less serious incidents.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2011, 01:36:42 PM »
I take it that you no longer claim that metal detectors are common in schools.

• friends
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2011, 07:46:37 PM »
I take it that you no longer claim that metal detectors are common in schools.

you are mistaken

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2011, 09:21:09 PM »
you are mistaken

So you continue to hold that position contrary to all evidence?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2011, 09:34:08 PM »
you are mistaken

Do you believe that the principals of Virginia's schools have lied to the VDOE? Perhaps you would like to lodge a formal complaint?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2011, 08:54:45 AM »
Metal detectors are not common in schools.

Metal detectors are common in urban public schools.

Most rural/suburban public schools are safe, decent places. Some of them even provide a quality education.

Urban public schools are wholly different. Some of them may well be best served by TSA style pat-downs.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2011, 02:31:16 PM »
Urban public schools are wholly different. Some of them may well be best served by TSA style pat-downs.

If I were a stereotypical, middle-class parent - which I will never be - and I had a child in a school that utilizes such security measures, I would assume one of the following:

1. The school is a dangerous place full of junior thugs and there is a semblance of a genuine justification to these measures. This is not conducive to a good education for my child, nor to his/her/its safety  or future development as a free citizen.

2. The school is not a dangerous place, but is run by paranoid control freaks. his is not conducive to a good education for my child, nor to his/her/its safety or future development as a free citizen.

3. Both of the above are true.

Note also that the quality of schools is known to be a factor for parents' choice of address. 

• friends
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »
you presume that a lot of folks have more choices than they do