Author Topic: 1997 Ford Taurus 3.0 litre overheating  (Read 1491 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0 litre overheating
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:22:53 PM »
A friend's girlfriend has this car... Already dropped $300 to replace the fan controller module, and fan still isn't really doing its thing. Do you guys know if the dang module can be bypassed, say with some 10 gauge and a light switch? Or have any other ideas? The fan is a two-speed fan...
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: 1997 Ford Taurus 3.0 litre overheating
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:26:07 PM »
Have you tried flushing the cooling system?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 11:34:56 PM »
A friend's girlfriend has this car... Already dropped $300 to replace the fan controller module, and fan still isn't really doing its thing. Do you guys know if the dang module can be bypassed, say with some 10 gauge and a light switch? Or have any other ideas? The fan is a two-speed fan...
Did that with an '85 Subaru BRAT I used to own. Bypassed all the switching. To pull that off, MUST check the temp. gauge constantly. I got rid of it before I blew it up. Oh, and before it starts, buyer got full disclosure of the problem.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:53:56 AM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:36:19 PM »
Have you tried flushing the cooling system?

Ditto.  Are we sure this is an electrical problem, and not a clogged radiator or coolant passages?

Or a damaged thermostat?

Further - does the temp gauge read it as overheating?  How many temp sensors are on that model, and what are they used for?  A little internet research should prove helpful.

Finally, the two speed motor - if you find a pinout, you should be able to test it by directly jumping power into it.  I wouldn't do this as a long term fix personally, but you probably could tie the fan relay's energize winding directly to some other circuit that has power only when the ignition is in the run position...

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 12:29:51 AM »
Also, check on line for tech service bulletins on that problem with that car. Dealer may have to fix it for free. Don't ask the dealers.  They'll tell you there are no service bulletins on it and it will cost N.nn dollars to fix it.

So they fix it and you pays your N.nn dollars and then they turn around and bill the car company for another $N.nn.

Some tech service bulletins are forever, some are for a limited time.

I found all this out the easy way.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:38:39 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 02:41:25 PM »
Does the fan come on as it's supposed to when the care warms to temp?  If the fan is coming on and it's still overheating then the problem is elsewhere.  If the fan isn't coming on and you've replaced the module, check all the wiring for splits, grounds, etc, and make sure the temp sensor is operating within spec. (They're cheap, so going ahead and replacing it is probably the fastest and most cost-effective thing to do).

If it still overheats once you've determined the fan is operating properly, then...

Have the radiator thoroughly cleaned (or it might be cheaper just to replace it).  They are notorious for becoming clogged.  At the same time do a full cooling system flush and replace the hoses and thermostat.  Be sure to pre-fill the system through the upper radiator hose before putting the hose on.  Then, after topping off the radiator and reservour, run the car with the cap off until it gets to operating temp.  Let it run like that for a few minutes to purge any air bubbles.  Taurus systems were also notorious for trapping air due to the radiator fill being lower than the highest point in the system.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 04:10:38 PM »
V6 in my 1995 Taurus.

The radiator has the plastic tanks, so it is easier to replace it, as it cannot be boiled out.

About 2 years ago, the new radiator was about $100 at O' Reilly auto parts.

Not too bad to replace it and the upper and lower hoses.

Jamie
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen