Author Topic: A Facebook "discussion" with my niece  (Read 9830 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: A Facebook "discussion" with my niece
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 03:01:20 AM »
Uncle Dick, my issue in this case was not with the US propping up brutal dictators, but the fact that this is never mentioned in media or in textbooks, even in university courses about Latin American politics. It's simply not mentioned.

It was taught in the freshman-level survey course in American history, at the U of MO-St. Louis. Of course, my prof was a head-case from Berkeley that made sure to mention as much negative about the U.S. as she possibly could...

Monkeyleg; I think your relative ought to read something by Richard Miniter.  He seems to have managed a pretty decent perspective on A'stan.  Including dispelling some myths about Bin Laden.
Who was not a fighter.  At best, a financier.
He was not created by the CIA (a common meme among leftists).  Miniter has many CIA associates from the 1980s-90s, none of whom knew who OBL was at the time.
And so on ....

That fits with what I've read about OBL. There seems to be a telephone game that goes like this: "America aided the anti-Soviet Muj," "America aided the anti-Soviet Muj, which OBL also sponsored," "America ran the whole anti-Soviet Muj operation and recruited and paid OBL and pretty much founded al-Qaeda."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »
There are two continuums of American history.  One is the one most people live in, working, saving, investing, creating, paying taxes, etc.  The second is the one inhabited by our State Dept., the CIA, and various entities, both group and individual, so "black" we can only detect them by a moral spectrometer.  Is it any wonder that American history sounds like theater of the absurd?  If this sounds a bit like The Matrix, it's because...well, you're not supposed to know.  Just turn on American Idol and enjoy.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 10:45:50 AM »

Unfortunately, you'll never get through to her or your other left wing family members because you don't have any credibility with them.  You represent what their whole life experience, education wise, has taught them to disparage.  The only way they change is when they go a bit further in life they get struck smack dab in the face with reality and they wake up.  It's possible.  But sometimes they never change, only get more dogmatic and continue to be like your earlier posting of Ronald Reagan's quote.

That's a very insightful comment.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »
My eyes glazed over about halfway through due to the small font and my short attention sp... LOOK, A SQUIRREL!!! -- where was I?  Oh yeah, you're a racist.
"It's good, though..."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 11:40:26 AM »
Folks, in this exchange of messages, we're seeing an American tragedy unfolding.  No small thing here.  This alienation of American generations is going to be the death knell of America.  It is going to end very badly.  People we care about are going to get hurt.  I hope to God we all wake up.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 01:45:41 PM »
Folks, in this exchange of messages, we're seeing an American tragedy unfolding.  No small thing here.  This alienation of American generations is going to be the death knell of America.  It is going to end very badly.  People we care about are going to get hurt.  I hope to God we all wake up.

Maybe just safe passage corridors like there were for West Berlin between the coasts and urban enclaves is a more realistic hope...
I promise not to duck.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 08:09:18 PM »
Maybe neither one is science, ever consider that?

See?  Scientologism is rampant.  You with your "objective facts" and "physical properties" and all.

=D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
Don't worry, you are helping to support several faculty members and their entitled children.  It's a good thing you're doing. =D

If you use some of that cool, tactical crime gear--Dexter-type stuff--I'll take it all back. :lol:
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2011, 09:31:28 AM »
Racist, she keeps using that word, I do not think it means what she think it means.
Look, tiny text!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2011, 11:05:36 AM »
"Racist" is just a mental glottal stop, meaning I can stop thinking now, this isn't going right.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2011, 12:52:14 PM »
Racist, she keeps using that word, I do not think it means what she think it means.

It sure doesn't mean what it did back in the 1960's, when racism was in your face in many places in the north as well as the south. It's still around, alive and kicking everywhere in the world, not just here.

For liberals, though, it's become a way of ending the argument when all else fails. Use the "racism" card, and nothing the other party says is valid after that point, because he is, after all, a racist.

When you can point to parts of the Koran that deal very harshly with infidels, or look at polling by Zogby and others in the middle east that address attitudes toward the US, there's nothing "racist" about saying that many in the Middle East hate us and always will.

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »

For liberals, though, it's become a way of ending the argument when all else fails. Use the "racism" card, and nothing the other party says is valid after that point, because he is, after all, a racist.

Racist! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCMKPtNEAto
The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2011, 04:54:06 PM »
That about describes it, ramis. :D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2011, 06:43:13 PM »
That about describes it, ramis. :D

neo-confederate...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

griz

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2011, 08:20:25 PM »
Do you know how she found out all his terrible stuff that they do not teach in school?  I suspect it was "mentioned" in class.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.