Author Topic: Wolves kill horse in western Montana  (Read 5815 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Wolves kill horse in western Montana
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
The gray wolf is pretty light weight.

These are transplanted Canadian timber wolves.  I've seen some pictures and hear they run 150+ pounds.

Both you and Tallpine live there, maybe you can explain this whole delisting problem to me.  If I remember right they have been delisted three times?  And every time it gets overturned somehow?  That is what I can't figure out, how does that decision to delist keep getting reversed?

Every time they get sensibly delisted, the environazis go court shopping, sue, and get a judge to overturn the decision.  A specific judge  :mad:

People should also be prepared to accept the consequences of living or playing in an area with predators.

Fifteen years ago there were no wolves in the area.  They had been extirminated by the 1930s or so.  But then the feral.gov transplants a bunch of Canadian timber wolves into YNP.  Maybe that wasn't all bad, but now they are spread out hundreds of miles in all directions, and no one is allowed to defend themselves or their property, at least without incurring losses and getting special permission first  ;/

The other large predators - cougars and black bears - are sport hunted and mostly wary of humans and human habitation.  The exception is grizzlies but their habits keep them mostly up in the mountains. 

Most of the US was habitat for wolves and bears and cougars at one time.  Why don't we re-introduce them to urban areas ???  Just because some places have run out all the wild animals more than a hundred years ago doesn't mean we have to pay the costs for your Disney fantasies.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
someone with way more hunting experience than me once pointed out that we have removed fear of man from the equation and thats what allows them to be so bold and become a problem.  a lil hunting and they will regain that fear.  i'm doing my part to keep the yotes around here shy and it seems like its working
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »
someone with way more hunting experience than me once pointed out that we have removed fear of man from the equation and thats what allows them to be so bold and become a problem.  a lil hunting and they will regain that fear.  i'm doing my part to keep the yotes around here shy and it seems like its working

It's a general rule in Montana to shoot every coyote on sight.  There's one rotting out on the brushpile behind the chicken house right now.  :lol:

But despite the fact that there is no limitation on season and not even a license required, there are still plenty of coyotes.  It's nice to hear them singing, but not so nice to lose your cats and chickens.

My view is that it should be legal to shoot wolves on sight on private property.  If they want to have some protections for them on public land that would be okay wth me.

It would not be a popular thing to say in this neighborhood, but I am not altogether unhappy that there are wolves in YNP and on the national forests.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 04:55:43 PM »
i suspect i would take a similar position.  probably define it as a wolf down by the river is ok  one that crosses the fence into my yard needs to be both sneaky and fast.  especially fast   2800 fps if it wants to make it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 05:58:33 PM »
I have my own pack of Wolves - green ones, that run about 2200fps  =D

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 08:44:59 PM »
yup, here in the Black Rock Desert we have plenty of yotes, but they tend to stay away from the cats & chickens. A: the dogs chase them. B: Everyone shoots them.

Seems to be working so far.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »
& the wolves seem to heading in my general direction, the good thing about the Black Rock Desert is there are only three full time LE for over a few thousand miles, & they like to be on good terms with locals & are all hunters who understand about predator control.

Some ones pet Wolf was out killing livestock and got shot, any wolf out here will be treated like the yotes.

I'm sure some fed's will come by & be all stern & stuff. Unless they catch someone in the act, good luck!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 09:35:25 PM »
I can't understand why the .gov reintroduced the critters.  Humans had things under control as the apex predator.  Wolves,  for better or worse,  were nice to have gone.

If we MUST have the things,  at least make them legal to shoot if they're messing with the livestock.

(My opinion,  YMMV,  we don't have wolves around here, but the coyotes seem to do well enough despite being shot on sight by everyone. )

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 09:41:16 PM »
I can't understand why the .gov reintroduced the critters.

Clinton

Me, I'm fine with it - they just should have started with Central Park in NYC  :P

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2011, 10:55:04 PM »
Clinton

Me, I'm fine with it - they just should have started with Central Park in NYC  :P

They'd have to make hobos a protected species :P

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2011, 11:08:31 PM »
They'd have to make hobos a protected species :P

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2011, 11:34:11 PM »

I haven't seen the movie yet.  What's he got in that cart?  Cougar?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2011, 01:08:33 AM »
speaking of bums, CA law allows for open carry at your campsite, I've often wondered
if I could use that to legally carry in parks where they let homeless camp out.

What movie is that pic from?

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2011, 03:46:22 AM »
speaking of bums, CA law allows for open carry at your campsite, I've often wondered

"Hobo with a shotgun" would be my guess.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2011, 05:51:20 AM »
I can't understand why the .gov reintroduced the critters.  Humans had things under control as the apex predator.  Wolves,  for better or worse,  were nice to have gone.

If we MUST have the things,  at least make them legal to shoot if they're messing with the livestock.

(My opinion,  YMMV,  we don't have wolves around here, but the coyotes seem to do well enough despite being shot on sight by everyone. )

Please allow me to adjust my tinfoil hat.................I'm convinced it has to do with a sinister plan of controlling food supply similar to what the govt did to control the American Indian tribes and force them on reservations. Control the food. Control the people.

Look at some of the legislation that's been passed specifically concerning food in the last couple years. It's a necessary step toward implementing an onerous control measure.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2011, 10:01:43 AM »

Yup, as Viking said, "Hobo With a Shotgun".

I'm still confused regarding CA law and National Park Service (if you're talking NPS parks). I know that if you have a CA  CCW, you're good to go there. I haven't seen definitive language that the law applies to open unloaded carry, or to open loaded carry of handguns or long guns as allowed in most National Forests.

To keep it on topic, I would worry more about predator attacks (both two and four legged) in National Parks than in National Forests, just because of the "no hunting" rules concentrating animals in those areas and allowing them to adapt to humans.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2011, 11:23:08 AM »
The tagline for the movie poster of "Hobo with a shotgun": Delivering justice one shell at a time.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »

Looks like the Doctor is long overdue for a regeneration.  =D

Quote from: Tallpine
My view is that it should be legal to shoot wolves on sight on private property.  If they want to have some protections for them on public land that would be okay wth me.

It would not be a popular thing to say in this neighborhood, but I am not altogether unhappy that there are wolves in YNP and on the national forests.

Concur.  That strikes me as the most reasonable balance in the situation.  I'd toss in a hunting season for the wolves that reside in National Forests.  Remind the packs of who truely is Alpha in the equation.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »
Concur.  That strikes me as the most reasonable balance in the situation.  I'd toss in a hunting season for the wolves that reside in National Forests.   Remind the packs of who truely is Alpha in the equation.

Yeah, that's what I meant by "some protections"  ;)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2011, 04:28:46 PM »

Please allow me to adjust my tinfoil hat.................I'm convinced it has to do with a sinister plan of controlling food supply similar to what the govt did to control the American Indian tribes and force them on reservations. Control the food. Control the people.

Look at some of the legislation that's been passed specifically concerning food in the last couple years. It's a necessary step toward implementing an onerous control measure.
just needed to throw in, "always remember uncle joe". [tinfoil]

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
Yup, as Viking said, "Hobo With a Shotgun".

I'm still confused regarding CA law and National Park Service (if you're talking NPS parks). I know that if you have a CA  CCW, you're good to go there. I haven't seen definitive language that the law applies to open unloaded carry, or to open loaded carry of handguns or long guns as allowed in most National Forests.

To keep it on topic, I would worry more about predator attacks (both two and four legged) in National Parks than in National Forests, just because of the "no hunting" rules concentrating animals in those areas and allowing them to adapt to humans.

Ben, unincorporated areas are good to go for "LOC" loaded open carry. ... been a lot of threads on calguns about it, if you're worried though you can unloaded open carry, only illegal in a school zone ... & of course though "campsite" isn't defined afaik you can loc there too.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2011, 05:37:19 PM »
A gun that's cocked and unloaded ain't good for nuthin'
[/rooster]

;)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »
Ben, unincorporated areas are good to go for "LOC" loaded open carry. ... been a lot of threads on calguns about it, if you're worried though you can unloaded open carry, only illegal in a school zone ... & of course though "campsite" isn't defined afaik you can loc there too.

Yeah, I knew the above, but I don't know what the NPS interpretation is while in a National Park.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2011, 10:47:46 PM »
I follow calguns pretty closely, if ppl have been getting arrested for back country carry I'm sure it would have gotten some attention. I think the BLM have actually been more aggressive then NPS lately.

I would look around calguns, legal is legal I think the NPS doesn't want armed ppl, but they hope by not getting it in the news that ppl are doing it then less ppl will try.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2011, 11:20:08 PM »
I can't even imagine living where you can't carry out in the woods  =(

I open carry almost everywhere - even in town  =)