Author Topic: university prez, lost in a swamp drinks own urine to survive.  (Read 15712 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: university prez, lost in a swamp drinks own urine to survive.
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 09:52:54 PM »
Look, just so you know in case you ever find yourself in a similar situation, you find a patch of land a few feet from the water and dig a hole. The water seeping into the hole has been filtered by the ground, it may not taste or look appetizing but it will be safe. The real problem is animal feces contaminating the standing water, "beaver fever" as it is known. Save your urine for peeing on your jellyfish stings. lol...

also, in the morning your first chore would be to lick as much dew from the leaves as possible.
"Leaflets three, let them be." Poison Ivy (or whatever) of the tongue/throat would be counter-productive to survival.
 [barf]
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 10:24:58 PM »
a thing I learned in the scouts was setting up a plastic sheet a few inches off the ground with a pebble in the middle that collects the dew into a container, fancy rigs have a straw of some kind to drink it
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 10:02:54 AM »
Real simple...carry a small kit with you if you're hiking.  A buddy and I built fanny pack kits to show the local Scout troop for their Wilderness Survival merit badge.  Fire starting materials, basic first aid kit, metal water bottle and water treatment gear, small fishing tackle, fishing line and para cord.  Add a good knife (or 2 in my case) and you're set.  Light weight, easy to carry, and will help you keep your bacon out of the fire. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 10:34:47 AM »
Peter La Fleur: [after Patches hits Justin in the face with a wrench] Yeah, uh, Patches... are you sure that this is completely necessary?
Patches O'Houlihan: Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine?
Peter La Fleur: Probably not.
Patches O'Houlihan: No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.
Peter La Fleur: ...Okay.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 10:49:23 AM »
I have to say, at least in post-editing, the hippie was REALLY good at primitive fire starting.

That "hippie" is a very well known bushcrafter and survival expert.  I'd trust him over Bear Grylls any day.

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 06:05:59 PM »
"Leaflets three, let them be." Poison Ivy (or whatever) of the tongue/throat would be counter-productive to survival.
 [barf]
true, very true...

In that case, be careful!  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 01:49:07 PM »
true, very true...

In that case, be careful!  :lol:
=D

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »
That "hippie" is a very well known bushcrafter and survival expert.  I'd trust him over Bear Grylls any day.

Chris

Amen.

I know I've been down this route before....but Grylls is a nitwit. Half the stuff he does because it's a "survival" situation is moronic.  Jumping into a frigid river's rapids?  :facepalm: Swimming under a logjam in a slot canyon, with no idea how far it goes?  :facepalm: Jumping into a hole in the ice in Norway?  :facepalm:  It goes on and on. 

And speaking of him jumping into the rapids in that episode....as soon as he gets fully wet, you can see the damn lifejacket under his clothes. Yeah,  because you'll just have a lifejacket in the mountains during a survival situation.   :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 02:35:22 PM »
Amen.

I know I've been down this route before....but Grylls is a nitwit. Half the stuff he does because it's a "survival" situation is moronic.  Jumping into a frigid river's rapids?  :facepalm: Swimming under a logjam in a slot canyon, with no idea how far it goes?  :facepalm: Jumping into a hole in the ice in Norway?  :facepalm:  It goes on and on. 

And speaking of him jumping into the rapids in that episode....as soon as he gets fully wet, you can see the damn lifejacket under his clothes. Yeah,  because you'll just have a lifejacket in the mountains during a survival situation.   :facepalm:

There's a million things like that on his show. People obsessed with debunking him showed how one scene was literally just yards from the parks parking lot. Another "impassable" crevasse he jumped ended on closed flat ground like 6 feet out of the shot.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 02:42:20 PM »
"Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom with Marlin Perkins" it has been going on forever.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 02:54:25 PM »
Jumping into a hole in the ice in Norway?

Ice-water swimming is stupid now?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »

If you're in a survival situation and you don't have a very specific reason for doing so (ie that's the only way out and help isn't coming and you WILL die otherwise), yes, it's very stupid.

Chris

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »

Chris
This.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »
If you're in a survival situation and you don't have a very specific reason for doing so (ie that's the only way out and help isn't coming and you WILL die otherwise), yes, it's very stupid.

Chris

Yup.  Cold and wet will kill you fast.  In a survival situation, you want to be the opposite of cold and wet if at all possible.  About the only things more important than not being cold and wet is keeping your blood inside your body and remaining able to breath.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 05:17:40 PM »

Like Chris said....you don't do stupid *expletive deleted*it when you're trying to survive. Slow and steady and methodical. No risks.  When you don't have a camera crew and ambulance standing by, even a small cut can kill you in days.  A broken bone or hypothermia? Fuggetaboutit!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2011, 06:28:13 PM »
Like Chris said....you don't do stupid *expletive deleted* when you're trying to survive. Slow and steady and methodical. No risks.  When you don't have a camera crew and ambulance standing by, even a small cut can kill you in days.  A broken bone or hypothermia? Fuggetaboutit!

Ice swimming is a legit sport in these countries, practiced by both young people and old. I'm assuming Bear Grylls has the appropriate training.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 06:36:50 PM »
Ice swimming is a legit sport in these countries, practiced by both young people and old. I'm assuming Bear Grylls has the appropriate training.

He is presenting his actions as appropriate for a survival situation.  Sport swimming in ice water is not survival situation.

Chris

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
Bear Grylls is useful in a way - by showing what NOT to do.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »

:facepalm:

You don't seem to have a grasp of the situation.

BG passes his antics off as appropriate in a SURVIVAL situation.  Intentionally making yourself hypothermic?  :facepalm:
We're not talking about a controlled sport where you go home and drink beer at night.
Just like one of his first episodes where he crossed the river (with a life jacket, of course).  Dipshit jumps right into the rapids.  An ill prepared person trying to cross a rapid without a lifejacket is likely to drown, or be injured by the rocks.  The smarter course of action is to take some time and work your way downstream and find a pool to cross.  Take a couple logs and find something to strap them together with, strip, put your clothes on the log, and swim naked, thus keeping your clothes dry.  Get out, air dry, build a fire and warm up if its real cold, dress into your dry clothes. Live. 
Doesn't make for good tv, though.   ;/
JD

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 07:07:50 PM »
Take a couple logs and find something to strap them together with, strip, put your clothes on the log, and swim naked, thus keeping your clothes dry.  Get out, air dry, build a fire and warm up if its real cold, dress into your dry clothes. Live. 
Doesn't make for good tv, though.

It would if the survivalist was female  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2011, 08:23:21 PM »
2nd night of a winter school campout -

My friend/tentmate - "I froze last night"
Me: " Strip out of your clothes and hang them to dry. Socks, underwear, everything."
Him: "They'll make fun of us!"
Me: "Change into clean skivvies in your sleeping bag if you must, but I'll tell ya: If you want another night freezing then sleep in your clothes. Wanna stay warm? Strip out and hang your clothes."

He didn't, and chose not to go camping with the school again.

It's amazing what just a tiny bit of moisture can do on a winter campout.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 08:27:04 PM »
Oh, and let the jokes begin.  :laugh:
Didn't bother me then (24 some years ago), shouldn't bother me now.
 [popcorn]

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 09:18:15 PM »
Oh, and let the jokes begin.  :laugh:
Didn't bother me then (24 some years ago), shouldn't bother me now.
 [popcorn]

Shrinkage isn't nearly as funny when everyone has it.   :laugh:
JD

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »
We were all "shrinkaged" :lol:. Buffalo Forks, Jefferson National Forest, Virginia, in January or February. Actually, now that I think on it... the hatchery was about to release a bunch of trout. Might have been later, towards spring. Anyway, it was pretty damned cold.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2011, 11:49:39 PM »
I caught another couple of episodes of Dual Survival tonight. The regular time is apparently 6pm Pacific / 9pm Eastern Fridays on Discovery.

The first one was interesting because they were in a cloud forest in Panama and had the opposite problem of the desert one I watched -- too much water. It was so wet and cold that they had to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to build some kind of platform to keep semi-dry, because even fire guy couldn't start a fire here. He squeezed the driest tinder he found and it poured out water.

The second one was your standard "life raft and tropical island" episode that every survival series seems to do, but they had an interesting twist where they used  copper tubing and a tin can to purify seawater.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."