Author Topic: [Tony Montana] Shay helloh to mah leetle frien!  (Read 4142 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
[Tony Montana] Shay helloh to mah leetle frien!
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:22:51 AM »

Saiga 12. Finished the conversion last weekend. Taking it out for a spin tomorrow.

Tromix trigger guard. Tromix modified Tapco G2 FCG, SAW style grip, ACE folder, 10 round box magazines and 20 round drums.

(I've been busy loading 12ga slugs, you can see a few extras over on the lower left under the LEE mold box...)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:30:25 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: [Tony Montoya] Shay helloh to mah leetle frien!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 12:46:28 AM »

Saiga 12. Finished the conversion last weekend. Taking it out for a spin tomorrow.

Tromix trigger guard. Tromix modified Tapco G2 FCG, SAW style grip, ACE folder, 10 round box magazines and 20 round drums.

(I've been busy loading 12ga slugs, you can see a few extras over on the lower left under the LEE mold box...)

That is crying out for a cut down to 18", adjustable chokes, and and Aimpoint or ACOG reflex sight.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 12:54:59 AM »
nice, looks like a well regulated zombie killer
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 01:47:24 AM »
That is crying out for a cut down to 18", adjustable chokes, and and Aimpoint or ACOG reflex sight.

And a silver inlaid side-folding bayonet, as well as an underslung 40mm grenade launcher....

:D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 04:41:07 AM »
[Inigo Montoya] Fessig.  You did something right.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:24:33 AM »
AJ, it's Tony Montana, not Montoya (think Cuban, not Japanese ;) ).

And, to use the "say hello" line, you need to have some coke on your nose. ;)

Wicked-looking gun.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 11:21:05 AM »

Rock and Roll.

Nothing makes hippies cry quite like a drum fed AK. =D [ar15]
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 12:24:07 PM »
Now it needs to be SBS'd!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:38:20 PM »
AJ, it's Tony Montana, not Montoya (think Cuban, not Japanese ;) ).

And, to use the "say hello" line, you need to have some coke on your nose. ;)

Wicked-looking gun.

LOL... I knew it was Montana too... I posted it correctly on other forums.  :laugh: Fixed now.

Took it out for it's first spin today. It was kind of a double knuckle biter, as I was shooting my very first reloads ever and testing out the Saiga for the first time as well. I had to make 1oz slugs as our rifle range does not allow shot (understandable, it's hard on the target frames.) and there was no way in hell I was going to pay $1/slug. Or even just $40 per 100, which is the cheapest online I could find. (Nobel sport .68cal round ball at http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/10rds-12-gauge-nobelsport-2-34-650-round-ball-ammo/cName/12-gauge-slug)  

A few stovepipe jams, as expected, Saiga 12's are meant for high brass, and need some wearing in/smoothing, and gas port tweaks to get them working with low brass target loads, even on the #2 "more gas" port setting. However it was running noticeably better towards the end of the shoot as it warmed up, and got broken in a bit.

Overall I was very pleased. The 20 round drum worked well, and the 10 round box mags all fed great. And every one of my reloads went "bang" and made a nice hole in the target.  =)

It's already 19". Saiga's look longer than they are, probably because of the long AKM receiver etc. In case the Saiga or my reloads were to be complete fail for some reason, I brought my Colt AR-15 with a C-More red-dot. The battery had died so that's extra incentive to go with something that needs no batteries. either the Trijicon RX34 http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=RX34 or the Meprolight equivalent. Figuring out a mount would be the harder part. I don't think I want one of those bulky rail systems. And I'd want it forward of the dust cover... I think I saw someone on Saiga12.com had made a mount for the dovetail the rear sight rides in...

Now it needs to be SBS'd!

Maybe someday. Although I don't think I'd go below 12". And I've got other NFA priorities first, like getting a SBR tax-stamp for my Draco AK pistol for my "poor man's Krinkov", and getting my feet wet with suppressors starting with a .22. First thing is to save up and get a lawyer to draft me a NFA trust. I know about the willmaker-pro and quicken legal software, however, I don't totally trust ME and the $250 to the lawyer (with free addendums for life) will make me sleep better.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:49:17 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 10:04:35 AM »
And a silver inlaid side-folding bayonet, as well as an underslung 40mm grenade launcher....

:D

Glad I put down the coffee cup before I read this.  Exactly what I was thinking when i saw it...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 12:22:40 PM »

What, no gonkulator?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: [Tony Montana] Shay helloh to mah leetle frien!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 12:29:50 PM »
It's dirt easy to put a short pointy hardwood spike into a shot cup, and do a roll crimp on the shell instead of a star crimp. If you spring for ebony, or ironwood and turn it on a lathe the SD and flight characteristics are halfway decent. Although still nowhere near good old lead.

However, it does not generate enough back-pressure to cycle any gas or inertia locked semi-auto actions. So they're strictly an affair for pumps and break actions/doubles etc.

When it's finished my one watt blue laser might go on there though.
I promise not to duck.