Author Topic: Noisy church creates neighborhood protests  (Read 11587 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Noisy church creates neighborhood protests
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 09:45:47 PM »
Anybody else feeling a call from God to go worship in front of this guy's house with airhorns at 3AM?
I like the idea from the article comments...  create a "Church of the Immaculate Air Raid Siren" next door!

I'm in
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 10:12:48 PM »
When I made my original post, there were 47 comments.  As of right this second, there are 508.  The pastor of the church sent an email to his congregation encouraging them to post comments.  

PS: The comment thread has been closed by the paper.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:21:21 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 12:00:31 AM »
Methodists are wayward heathens?   :angel:

Nope, just the gal minister at the last Methodist service I went to.  She couldn't be bothered to wear anything nicer than a T-shirt with her college/seminary on it to conduct the service.  I'd bet "Casual Fridays" among the ministers church workers is something to write home about.

Nice building, though.  And no disturbing the neighbors with Gawd Rock.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 06:43:18 AM »
Conversion by the sword amplifier?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 11:32:34 AM »
This "church" apparently is oblivious to the concept of loving your neighbor.

Appears to be just another symptom of the narcissistic nature of our culture.  

I want what I want.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »
I want what I want.

"Boy, you had better start learning to want what I tell you to want."

I believe those were the words my Drill Instructor used.  I might have left some flowery descriptive adjectives and modifiers out, of course.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 04:05:42 PM »

I want what I want.

The worst is not the "I want what I want" but the spoiled "How dare you tell ME what I can do!" attitude.

No, people can't tell you how to worship God. They can tell you at what volume is acceptable for the neighbors.

You want to worship God extra loud? There are plenty of places where people won't be disturbed. Alternatively, soundproof your building better. (You spent thousands? Great: it wasn't enough. Spend more or turn it down.)

And seriously, drywall? I'm no expert, but what are the sound deadening capabilities of drywall?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »

I want what I want.

That church, is here, and from the Google map, appears to be in the middle of the twisty street district (suburban residential).  The signs I'm seeing look like typical suburban pop megachurch.  To research it, I'd be googling their leadership, seeing who they were connected with, stuff like that.  I'm seeing a few oddities in their SOF.  Remarkably indefinite on the nature of the Trinity, for one.  Just sloppy?

Quote from: makattak
No, people can't tell you how to worship God.

But, God can.   Ohhhh, the dreaded regulative principle. 

All the signs look like a church "not my style".  But, style is the wrong question.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 05:28:40 PM »
what are the sound deadening capabilities of drywall?

there are some specialized (read pricey) products and techniques
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 05:41:34 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »
I remember when this church was built originally.  At the time, it did not have as many houses as are surrounding it today.  However, the large concert hall/sanctuary is new, and was finished (it was partially-built for a couple of years) just last year.  The surrounding area had been completely built out with houses by the time the concert hall/sanctuary was started back in 2008.  The church was not known for loud concerts prior to building the concert hall/sanctuary.  So from the standpoint of the surrounding neighbors, the loud concerts are a new development that did not exist when their homes were built. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 08:17:18 PM »
I remember when this church was built originally.  At the time, it did not have as many houses as are surrounding it today.  However, the large concert hall/sanctuary is new, and was finished (it was partially-built for a couple of years) just last year.  The surrounding area had been completely built out with houses by the time the concert hall/sanctuary was started back in 2008.  The church was not known for loud concerts prior to building the concert hall/sanctuary.  So from the standpoint of the surrounding neighbors, the loud concerts are a new development that did not exist when their homes were built. 
Sounds to me like they recently changed how they were worshiping God.  It also sounds like there are solutions they could pursue.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 09:52:53 PM »
what are the sound deadening capabilities of drywall?

there are some specialized (read pricey) products and techniques

Dropping a crane load of it onto the noise source is usually the most effective.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 10:48:20 PM »
Sounds to me like they recently changed how they were worshiping God. 

Quite possibly.

Poking around on Teh Interwebz, I found this, which indicates that from 2001 to 2005 numbers were pretty steady.  From 2005 to 2010, membership and weekly attendance more than doubled.  Perhaps that's when the rock bands came in.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2011, 01:23:27 AM »
For his part, Pastor Dan Kellogg, a youthful man who preaches in jeans and a rhinestone-trimmed black shirt, says the church takes the complaints seriously. And Ehoff, who plays in the band, says the church has spent $50,000 putting up drywall to mitigate the sound.

I never knew drywall was the ideal sound absorption material.

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »
Quite possibly.

Poking around on Teh Interwebz, I found this, which indicates that from 2001 to 2005 numbers were pretty steady.  From 2005 to 2010, membership and weekly attendance more than doubled.  Perhaps that's when the rock bands came in.

No, in 2005 they moved to their current site and built the first of the three steel-frame warehouse-type buildings that are currently on the property.  Prior to 2005, they were about five miles away in a much smaller, more traditional type of wooden-frame church building that was originally built as a Lutheran church back in the 50's.  So the new church in 2005 was more than double the size, and I suspect that enabled the attendance counts to start climbing.

When I have read about them in the local paper, they make a point of pride in all the construction is funded with current monies, and they don't take out loans to build.  This explains the piece-meal expansion over the years, and why the current concert hall/sanctuary sat half-completed for two years while they saved up enough money to finish it off.

And again, I know all this only because I live within a mile of the church, bicycle or drive past it several times a week, and have read about them in my local media.  Before the latest kerfuffle in the paper, I was actually unaware of any controversy surrounding them. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:50:38 AM by MillCreek »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2011, 04:22:15 PM »
This church really needs to pick up its readings in the book of Romans.....

Yeah, that's what I was looking for.

(1.)
Appears to be just another symptom of the narcissistic self-righteous nature of our culture.

Fixed that.

(2.)
The worst is not the "I want what I want" but the spoiled "How dare you tell ME what I can do!" attitude.

Yup.  See (1).

I don't see it as a drywall-solvable problem.  I see it as a personality problem. 

Those in doubt, shout it out.

(Terry said that.  Feel free to quote it.)

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2011, 05:08:04 PM »
I don't see it as a drywall-solvable problem.  I see it as a personality problem. 

See reply number 37 ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2011, 11:37:35 PM »
the neighbors need to raise enough money to surround the church with sound barrier walls. be downright funny. [popcorn] have a double walls, a gate in the front in the outside ring and a gate in the back of the inside ring. wouldn't even have to look at them, or the ugly building*. :laugh:

*for some reason, churches like this are always in ugly buildings.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2011, 09:00:04 AM »
or the ugly building*. :laugh:

*for some reason, churches like this are always in ugly buildings.

That's the style now, for church architecture.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »
As promised, I just got back from walking down to the Gold Creek church to hear the music for myself at the 0900 service.  As a test, I did this without wearing my bilateral hearing aids.  With the aids in, I have about a 40% hearing loss; with them out, I have about a 66% hearing loss.

I could hear the music, or more accurately the bass beat, from about 200 yards away.  I stood right across the street from the church (about 75 yards from the sanctuary) and the music and bass beat were louder then the infrequent passing car traffic.  It was hard to really recognize it much as music, since the thumping of the bass beat predominated.

So it is now clear to me how the local neighbors, especially those with normal hearing, are upset about this.  According to a story on the local CBS affiliate, the music is on Sunday mornings, Wednesday evening rehearsals and occasional Friday night concerts.

PS:  And oh, before I forget, this is for Fistful:  this wayward heathen Methodist did not feel an urge to convert from hearing the music.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2011, 01:49:50 PM »
this wayward heathen Methodist did not feel an urge to convert from hearing the music.

No discernible gospel content?  (That's a rhetorical question.)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »

Well, I wouldn't call it style.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2011, 04:12:56 PM »

No, it's the style now for churches that are more interested in maximizing return to the pastor/founder than in glorifying God by (among other things) caring enough to build Him a nice house in which to worship Him. Yes, I understand that He is happy when people worship Him anywhere, in any way. But I'm an olde pharte who studied the history of architecture in Europe. Those magnificent Gothic cathedrals in England, France and Germany (particularly) were built by pious people who viewed it as their duty to create structures suitable for God. Most, if not all, of the great cathedrals took generations and even lifetimes to complete. There were any number of master stonemasons and journeymen who spent their entire working life doing nothing but working on one cathedral -- and they might have died without seeing it completed.

That would be unheard of in today's world where everyone wants instant gratification. The new style independent churches are not interested in glorifying God, they just want a roof to shed the rain while they pass the collection platter. I have personally seen churches of this type make a huge issue out of being asked to even comply with the building code -- which is universally deemed a "minimum" standard for safety. They argued that complying with the "minimum" standard was going to cost "too much," so they should be exempt because they're a church. [Love thy neighbor but screw thy parishioners, I guess.]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
I could hear the music, or more accurately the bass beat, from about 200 yards away.  I stood right across the street from the church (about 75 yards from the sanctuary) and the music and bass beat were louder then the infrequent passing car traffic.  It was hard to really recognize it much as music, since the thumping of the bass beat predominated.

Yeah, that is un-neighborly.  Turn the amp back from "eleven," Nigel.

PS:  And oh, before I forget, this is for Fistful:  this wayward heathen Methodist did not feel an urge to convert from hearing the music.

Heh.

"The Wesley is strong in this one."

Oh, I recall going to Savannah, GA, and seeing a JW statue.  Here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wesley#Mission_in_Georgia
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton