Author Topic: Noisy church creates neighborhood protests  (Read 11588 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Noisy church creates neighborhood protests
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2011, 11:01:15 PM »
No, it's the style now for churches that are more interested in maximizing return to the pastor/founder than in glorifying God by (among other things) caring enough to build Him a nice house in which to worship Him. Yes, I understand that He is happy when people worship Him anywhere, in any way.

That would be unheard of in today's world where everyone wants instant gratification. The new style independent churches are not interested in glorifying God, they just want a roof to shed the rain while they pass the collection platter. I have personally seen churches of this type make a huge issue out of being asked to even comply with the building code -- which is universally deemed a "minimum" standard for safety. They argued that complying with the "minimum" standard was going to cost "too much," so they should be exempt because they're a church. [Love thy neighbor but screw thy parishioners, I guess.]

I'm afraid you can't tell all that just from the type of building a church uses. Believe it or not, there are churches that start with minimal funding and need an inexpensive place to meet. Renting is an option, but rental places are not usually traditional church buildings, either. And speaking of instant gratification, the sooner the church has a permanent building, the sooner the church can move ahead with its intended ministries, or quit wasting money on rent.

The church I'm going to right now moved from rental space to rental space, until we would have been glad to have any building at all to meet in. Fortunately, we were able to build a very picturesque, colonial-style brick building. But that was not easy. Maybe the complaints about code compliance are due to the fact that cities do not earn tax revenue from churches, so may not feel any incentive to make the inspection/permit process any easier. Then again, that may just be speculation.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2011, 11:50:28 PM »
Maybe the complaints about code compliance are due to the fact that cities do not earn tax revenue from churches, so may not feel any incentive to make the inspection/permit process any easier. Then again, that may just be speculation.

That is right on the money.

I've sat through planning commission and city council meetings when that exact opposition was articulated in votes against a zoning variance that would allow a church to meet in an existing building in an industrially zoned district.
7-11 was a part time job.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2011, 08:26:04 AM »
Let me add one more thing I just learned from my morning Bible study....

Quote from: 1 Peter 4:14-16
If you're abused because of Christ, count yourself fortunate. It's the Spirit of God and his glory in you that brought you to the notice of others. If they're on you because you broke the law or disturbed the peace, that's a different matter. But if it's because you're a Christian, don't give it a second thought. Be proud of the distinguished status reflected in that name!

No one is ever saved by obnoxiousness....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2011, 08:57:01 AM »
And speaking of instant gratification, the sooner the church has a permanent building, the sooner the church can move ahead with its intended ministries, or quit wasting money on rent.

And start spending money on a mortgage.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2011, 12:11:51 PM »
And start spending money on a mortgage.

Start paying off the loan for the construction cost, more like.

Do you think churches should rent, when they could own their own property? Why?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »
No, it's the style now for churches that are more interested in maximizing return to the pastor/founder than in glorifying God by (among other things) caring enough to build Him a nice house in which to worship Him.
Personally, I've always considered impressive church buildings as being focused more on glorifying the human church leadership than God.
Those magnificent Gothic cathedrals in England, France and Germany (particularly) were built by pious people who viewed it as their duty to create structures suitable for God. Most, if not all, of the great cathedrals took generations and even lifetimes to complete. There were any number of master stonemasons and journeymen who spent their entire working life doing nothing but working on one cathedral -- and they might have died without seeing it completed.
Having seen a few of those fantastic cathedrals in person, I certainly can appreciate the magnificence of the architecture and the incredible human undertaking it represents, but I'm not as convinced of the piety of the men who commissioned their construction.  Even a cursory study of the role of the church in European politics will disabuse you of the notion that the folks who built those churches were selflessly trying to glorify God.
That would be unheard of in today's world where everyone wants instant gratification. The new style independent churches are not interested in glorifying God, they just want a roof to shed the rain while they pass the collection platter.
Sure, there are churches that are just as you describe - and I agree that they are scum.  However, scum build pretty churches too.