Author Topic: Why do depressed/despondent people feel the need to kill others before  (Read 4108 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
offing themselves?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/02/yuma-shooting-arizona-dead_n_870491.html?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk2%7C214937

AP - YUMA, Ariz. — An attorney says one of five people killed by a gunman Thursday in southwestern Arizona represented the suspected shooter's ex-wife in their divorce case.

Attorney Amanda Taylor tells The Associated Press that shooting victim Jerrold Shelley represented the ex-wife of 73-year-old Carey Hal Dyess of Yuma.

Yuma police say Dyess shot and killed Shelley in Shelley's downtown law office.

Authorities say Dyess killed four other people elsewhere in Yuma County and wounded one other person before sheriff's deputies found him dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound at about 11:30 a.m.

I can sort of understand killing the lawyer that represented your ex-wife in the divorce case, although I think I would rather off my ex-wife than her lawyer if it came down to that.  But why the four other folks?  Sounds like they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, which really sucks in situations like this.

The comments are fascinating, too.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
My phone distrusted the source, so I didn't get a chance to read the whole thing,

But, unlike the VA Tech guy and those of that ilk, who were going for the noterity, I wonder if some of these arn't more along the lines of rage killings and then the guilt or hopelessness of they're new title of murderer drives them to suicide.

I wonder if, we hear all the stories about forensic type cop shows influancing juries and criminals, I wonder if this perhaps is another effect. If a guy goes out in a rage and starts killing people, then calms down and thinks 'oh, they can solve this like on csi, in one hour and their definatly gonna catch me', it would explain the seeming increase in these types of killings/suicides.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wuluf

• friend
I've always thought that you might want to kill yourself, but once you've murdered someone, now you have to kill yourself, or face the consequences.  Selfish bastards....

Pharmacology

• friends
offing themselves?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/02/yuma-shooting-arizona-dead_n_870491.html?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk2%7C214937

I can sort of understand killing the lawyer that represented your ex-wife in the divorce case, although I think I would rather off my ex-wife than her lawyer if it came down to that.  But why the four other folks?  Sounds like they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, which really sucks in situations like this.
The comments are fascinating, too.
stay safe.

I wonder if they were intentionally targeted, or if they opportunistic targets standing downrange of the lawyer

CNYCacher

• friend
But, unlike the VA Tech guy and those of that ilk, who were going for the noterity, I wonder if some of these arn't more along the lines of rage killings and then the guilt or hopelessness of they're new title of murderer drives them to suicide.

I've always felt this was the explanation as well.  The reality of what they have done sets in and they can't take it.  Either the guilt, or the consequences, or perhaps they just want to show the world how sorry they are for what they've done.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Hard to explain batshit crazy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Hard to explain bat*expletive deleted* crazy.

much wisdom there!
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Stand_watie

• friend
In my experience with depression, it caused me to be more empathetic and less likely towards violence, even rightous or justifiable violence (like hunting to putting a pet down). I think it likely that a shrink would have a more specific label for homicidal mental illness than depression.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"