Author Topic: Cats in the Garden  (Read 19439 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Cats in the Garden
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 10:13:47 AM »
Oh come on.  Nobody has made the proper recommendation yet?  What is APS coming to?  :P

Claymores.

Nah, landmines.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 10:17:46 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »
We had a bunch of stray cats hanging around a few years, back so we borrowed a live trap from our rancher neighbors.

We caught a mama and a bunch of kittens, and took them down to another ranch where the lady was mighty happy to have them in her barn.

We also caught a full-growed tomcat, which we banded with the help of the same neighbors, and then released him.  He promptly took off towards the west at about a hundred mph and we haven't seen him since  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 07:53:54 PM »
Probably the best idea.  Hell, many pounds will let you borrow or rent the trap for cheap, too.

Too much rain to spray with some other form of deterrent, such as wolf urine

http://www.amazon.com/Predator-Lures-Wolf-Urine-Lure/dp/B0006IGZSM

(read the comments for the win)

it's been a long while since I have had sustained out loud laughter while reading purportedly funny stuff on the Innertube.  The remarks regarding this product are hilarious.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Male-Testicular-Exam-Model-Anatomy/dp/B0006TYJV6/ref=pd_sbs_ol_5

I bet if you flung this at the cats, they would go away.  And the comments give additional ideas.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 10:22:19 PM »
SWMBO is getting ready to purchase a motion sensitive sprinkler.  We're going to try a couple of those for the front yard and the back yard veggie garden.  They come pretty highly rated by the folks that have tried them.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 11:39:31 PM »
Gotta love living in the country.
Walked out the door this evening to go to work and there was a racoon on the front porch eating bird seed. It scampered off about 5 yards and stopped and watched me, no real fear going on.
I went back in and retrieved a .22 rifle from the safe(Henry big loop lever action with Weaver 1.5-3X20 scope), went to the gun room and retrieved ammo (CCI minimag hollow points), loaded 5 rounds and opend the front door. The racoon was still eating bird seed. This time it didn't run off it just looked at me while I chambered a round and presenting a perfect between the eyes head shot. Which I promptly executed flawlessly.
Bagged the carcass and deposited it on the big brush pile 150 yds down the hill from the house.

Can't have a critter with no fear of people hanging around with the grand kids coming and going.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2011, 06:19:59 AM »
We also caught a full-growed tomcat, which we banded with the help of the same neighbors, and then released him.  He promptly took off towards the west at about a hundred mph and we haven't seen him since  =D

Was that the same sort of "banding" that is done to males of various species, as opposed to actual surgery?

You put a band around mine, and I lack opposable thumbs to remove the band, and I may start off heading west but I'm gonna come back, spray every surface, and then find your boots when you are not wearing them and use them for a litterbox till they are filled to overflowing.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2011, 10:04:22 AM »
Time to step it up...  lots of digging in the garden this morning and my trap was ignored.  I even had it wired open and baited so I could get the little monster used to going in there all the way before I set it for real.  I'll be getting a trail camera (always wanted one of those anyway) so I can know for sure what the critter is.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2011, 11:38:18 AM »
Pressure activated......cat-a-pults....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjYLRLwphcs

The background music is priceless.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 01:49:12 PM »
SWMBO is getting ready to purchase a motion sensitive sprinkler.  We're going to try a couple of those for the front yard and the back yard veggie garden.  They come pretty highly rated by the folks that have tried them.

Does it work in the dark at night?

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 02:19:56 PM »
Does it work in the dark at night?

Sawdust

Good question, don't know.  If it's an IR sensor, it probably does.  I'll check it out.

ETA:
Here it is.  The overview says it works both day and night. Many of the reviews on Amazon (Where it can be found for about half the listed price) also state that it works at night.  Looking at the window on the front of the thing, I'd guess it uses an IR sensor of some kind.
Many people put water hose timers on them to make them work only at night so they aren't surprised when they walk out to the garden during the day.  My wife insists that we get a timer because she knows that she will forget to turn the water off when she goes out to work in the garden.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:34:30 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2011, 08:01:49 PM »
This wins the "funniest thread on APS" award for the day.

I thought this was going to be a fertilizer thread ???
Oh, it is.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2011, 12:25:14 AM »
if I ever have spare cash in this lifetime I'm buying some of that wolfs urine for aprils fools on the ranch dogs
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 10:55:50 AM »
We're gonna need a bigger boat...

Finally saw the cat.  It was trying to wiggle into the trap but didn't fit.  This cat is enormous.  It is like a big white and black mountain line kitten.  I borrowed a large raccoon trap to try again.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 11:37:36 AM »
We're gonna need a bigger boat...

Finally saw the cat.  It was trying to wiggle into the trap but didn't fit.  This cat is enormous.  It is like a big white and black mountain line kitten.  I borrowed a large raccoon trap to try again.

You mean mountain LION? ? ?   ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 11:44:22 AM »
You mean mountain LION? ? ?   ???

er ..  yeah

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 11:48:37 AM »
I hate it when mountain lions dig up the garden
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2011, 12:08:18 PM »
If there were an actual mountain lion in my garden it would probably end in gunfire...  inside the city limits be damned.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »
if I ever have spare cash in this lifetime I'm buying some of that wolfs urine for aprils fools on the ranch dogs

I used to add a little raccoon urine or doe pee or once in a while some skunk cover scent to my brothers in laws clothing at every opportunity. To this day I don't think they know I was doing it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 02:15:55 PM »
You don't need to worry about the kitten.   =)

You need to worry about it's mama  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2011, 12:01:19 PM »
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 12:53:39 AM »
I used to add a little raccoon urine or doe pee or once in a while some skunk cover scent to my brothers in laws clothing at every opportunity. To this day I don't think they know I was doing it.
=D :lol: :cool:

my friend cant stand his bil, thanks for the tip!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2011, 10:54:43 AM »
Don't leave us hanging here!

Have you caught the lion yet, or not?   [popcorn]

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »
Victory is Mine! (but no pics so it didn't happen).

Huge gray tomcat.  He was not happy in the trap.  Found him when I got home today along with some more garden damage.  Dripped half a bottle of triple strength skunk area cover scent on him.  Rotten stuff..   very thick and sticky consistency, very similar to honey.

I put on the welding gloves and let him go..  he took off like a shot.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:45:01 PM by 41magsnub »