Author Topic: Japanese Turd Burger  (Read 11534 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Japanese Turd Burger
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 09:43:39 PM »
Hell, I'll still eat tilapia. They're too tasty not to.  It is surprising that, for bottom feeders, they are such a mild tasting white fleshed fish.

As far as turd burgers in Japan, they already have natto.  Turd burgers can't be any worse.  Or much different.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 10:17:03 PM »
When somebody figures out how to make Tilapia bacon...

We'll either burn them for blasphemy or kiss the ground they walk on.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 01:03:03 AM »
Ain't marketing a wunnerful thang? 

Can't give away brown mushrooms?  Rename'em shiitaki mushrooms and presto change-o you've got an exotic yuppified food.

Can't sell sewer bass?  Call'em talapia and you've got a new profit center.

The first time I ran into this, and recognized it, was when I went to the store and they had a new fish in the display. It was called orange roughy. I went home and did a little reading on it. Turns out it was (is) known as slimehead in other places.

Since the rename it has become pretty popular, to the point that it may someday be fished to extinction. They don't even start to reproduce until they are 30 years old or so, and can live over 100 years.

I think we need to change the name back to slimehead. After all, who would come over for a nice meal of macadamia encrusted slimehead?

bob

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 08:12:35 AM »
.. fishing is one of the areas that's really effed up.

Between growing anoxic zones and overfishing.. It looks like that if nothing is done, a lot of fisheries will be just  empty ocean by 2050.

BTW, in some places tilapia fish live in drinking water channels. Their eat dirt and algae in the water, and their excrement apparently doesn't change the drinkability of the water...

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 10:23:23 AM »
Isn't this basically what the food replicators and waste reclaimation on Star Trek are based on?.....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2011, 11:15:51 AM »
I mean, as long as the process extracts only the protein, and not something nasty out of the sewage...

Pour it on a field.  Grow stuff in the field.  Feed the stuff grown in the field to food.  Eat food.  Nature had this problem licked centuries ago.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 11:45:50 AM »
You people are such wimps. I mean, not eat tilapia fish? Because they eat fish poo? Pigs eat a lot of repulsive stuff, but taste nice. Rabbits eat their own droppings, guinea pigs do that, and they all taste really nice. Guinea pigs especially. Very tender and sweet meat.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger..

Hogs get filthy and nasty, but don't eat near as filthy & nasty as many other farm animals.  You want a critter that eats filthy, given the option?  Chickens.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »
Chickens eat filthy? ... factory raised? The chicken I've fed and observed ate okay stuff... whatever they could find in the garden and some cereal stuff ...

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2011, 09:12:39 PM »
Isn't this basically what the food replicators and waste reclaimation on Star Trek are based on?.....  =|

TOS Trek, yes.  By the TNG era the waste matter was converted to energy which was then used to recreate the edible food stuff.

Unless you happen to stuck on the otherside of the galaxy.  Then you had to hire on some local con-artist and his 3 year old girl friend as ships cook.

Pour it on a field.  Grow stuff in the field.  Feed the stuff grown in the field to food.  Eat food.  Nature had this problem licked centuries ago.

Quoted for truth.  In all likleyhood the atoms of anything you eat (or drink) has been through some creatures digestive system and poo'd out at least once in the history of the world.  With the exception of most of the metals, it is not the atoms that matter but how they are put together into molecules that counts.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2011, 11:01:53 PM »
But does a tilapia have personality?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 11:05:40 PM »
But does a tilapia have personality?

It better be one charming tilapia.

Chris

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2011, 06:24:15 PM »

I think I've seen that color before...
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2011, 08:43:41 PM »
Chickens eat filthy? ... factory raised? The chicken I've fed and observed ate okay stuff... whatever they could find in the garden and some cereal stuff ...

Factory raised, too, but not as much.

Lotsa chickens die & putrefy in a factory setting, too.  As they putrefy, other chickens eat the various bits of chicken, maggots, fecal soup fermenting in their entrails, etc.  That doesn't take too long to occur in a chicken house in the Ozarks during the months of June, July, and August.

The more liberty they have, the most nasty bits they eat. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2011, 08:48:05 PM »
So then, if you don't wannt eat filthy, you have to eat home-grown chickens. I can't imagine a small breeder's chickens dying and then getting eaten without him noticing.

BTW, what's the problem with chicken eating maggots? Maggots are good protein. I see it as a minor failing of the Western civilization, this irrational phobia we have towards insects and invertebrates. Most of them are good eating, and not poisonous..

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2011, 10:58:57 PM »
As far as turd burgers in Japan, they already have natto. 

My nieces like it, so I'm told.

Cuitlacoche sounds comparable.

Cuitlacoche is a black fungus that infects corn fields, making the kernels bulbous and swollen as they fill with spores. It also goes by the name Huitlacoche. If you're having trouble with the pronounciation, it's: Cuitlacoche (kweet-lah-KOH-chay) or Huitlacoche (dat-sf**kin-NAS-tee).

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2011, 12:55:39 AM »
The Brits/Kiwis/Aussies had that food on store shelves 60 years ago. 

Vegimite and Marmite.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2011, 01:23:40 AM »

I think I've seen that color before...

This should scare ALL of us.....  :O
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2011, 06:56:52 AM »
I've heard that marmite is delicious... isn't it made from byproducts from beer production?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2011, 01:03:28 PM »
I've heard that marmite is delicious... isn't it made from byproducts from beer production?

Both are yeast related products.  But have you ever seen it?  It looks like what I've wiped off my kids bottoms many times.  I just can't get past that visual when it's spread on a piece of bread.