Author Topic: Satire or not?  (Read 39535 times)

Boberama

• Little Monster, yes, my paws are up, have been since 2010!
Satire or not?
« on: June 17, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »
On another forum an interesting topic came up.

We were discussing the album The Fame, and a member commented that it was supposed to be a satire. I had always taken it at face value, but now I'm perplexed.

There is a lot of sillyness in The Fame, (killer whale, anyone?), and it could be interpreted as a satire.

However, I don't believe it was meant to be one. I truly believe it was a display of what fame meant to Gaga.

On the other hand, it's difficult to take it all seriously.

The killer-whale scene in the kiddie pool.

Rolling around in a pile of money and playing what looks like hide-and-seek.

I had always veiwed it as a deeply moving portrayal of a young girl's intoduction to, and corruption by, her newfound fame and fortune.

I thought it was sending a warning that fame is self-destroying, and ultimately fatal, as we saw in the next album, the Fame Monster.

And I believed Born this Way was a form of ressurection, purification, and afterlife.

But if The Fame was meant as a satire, where does that leave us?
Lady Gaga, Born This Way
Check out these tracks:
Bloody Mary
Highway Unicorn

Don't edit my sig again, mods.

Mods banned me.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Satire or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »
You want to have a philosophical discussion about a Lady Gaga album? I had to look it up..  street cred intact.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 04:56:58 PM »
On another forum an interesting topic came up.

We were discussing the album The Fame, and a member commented that it was supposed to be a satire. I had always taken it at face value, but now I'm perplexed.

There is a lot of sillyness in The Fame, (killer whale, anyone?), and it could be interpreted as a satire.

However, I don't believe it was meant to be one. I truly believe it was a display of what fame meant to Gaga.

On the other hand, it's difficult to take it all seriously.

The killer-whale scene in the kiddie pool.

Rolling around in a pile of money and playing what looks like hide-and-seek.

I had always veiwed it as a deeply moving portrayal of a young girl's intoduction to, and corruption by, her newfound fame and fortune.

I thought it was sending a warning that fame is self-destroying, and ultimately fatal, as we saw in the next album, the Fame Monster.

And I believed Born this Way was a form of ressurection, purification, and afterlife.

But if The Fame was meant as a satire, where does that leave us?

I take it to be just music, at best.  Nothing more, nothing less (somewhat.)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Boberama

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »
You want to have a philosophical discussion about a Lady Gaga album? I had to look it up..  street cred intact.

Street cred? Which reminds me: I was listening to The Fame yesterday to try and obtain some new insights as to the meaning of the lyrics.

Now, I thought to myself while listening to the song Starstruck, why would the rapper Flo Rida agree to collaborate on an album by Lady Gaga?
Their musical styles seem at opposite ends of the "pop" spectrum.

And right after, I turned on the TV and saw Flo Rida singing in a video by this little Australian kid (a copy of Justin Bieber).
Now I believe that this Flo Rida must have no street cred among other rappers.
It appears he is desperate for work.

I was listening to Born this Way and I noted the mention of the "Rivington rebels". In the song "Black Jesus † Amen Fashion" Gaga mentions how she was born on Broadway and "grew up" in New York city.
In the documentary "Lady Gaga: Inside the Outside", Gaga again mentions New York as an inspiration, and her favorite city.

However, in Paris this week, Gaga was spotted with a new tatto saying "PARIS". I believe it is a fake tattoo, because of its prominent location and the fact that New York is her avowed favorite city.

So, consider this:

The Fame: Gaga's corruption by her newfound wealth and power, and her flight from the nest.
The Fame Monster: Gaga's exploitation, and eventual death (Paparazzi, Alejandro, Bad Romance)
Born this Way: Gaga's return to her home, in spiritual form (hence the many religious songs, eg. Bloody Mary, Black Jesus † Amen Fashion, Judas) and her remorse (shown by the darker, more serious and heartfelt songs and lyrics). But is she still being exploited by her record label (Government Hooker), or her emotional attachment to her parents (Hair)?
Lady Gaga, Born This Way
Check out these tracks:
Bloody Mary
Highway Unicorn

Mods banned me.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 05:08:40 PM »
And right after, I turned on the TV and saw Flo Rida singing in a video by this little Australian kid (a copy of Justin Bieber).
Now I believe that this Flo Rida must have no street cred among other rappers.

Then again, Jay-Z had a very popular song based on a well-known musical number, usually sung by little girls. If THAT didn't kill his street cred, Mr. Rida should be OK.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boberama

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 05:09:45 PM »
So, what are your thoughts on the deeper meaning of these albums?
Lady Gaga, Born This Way
Check out these tracks:
Bloody Mary
Highway Unicorn

Mods banned me.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 05:38:13 PM »

Who, me? I have only heard bits and pieces of maybe two of her songs.

I guess if she wanted people to pay attention to the meaning of her lyrics, she wouldn't have made herself into a meat dress. Since she decided to wear, of all things, a meat dress, all most people know about her is her meat dress. So that's what she's chosen to become, rather than some kind of songwriter/philosopher.

Now all of this presupposes that she intends her lyrics to have meaning. It is no insult to the Gaga; it just seems to me that most music written today is more about setting a mood that crafting a syllogism. I'm fine with that.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »

That would require actually listening to Lady Gaga, which from the snippets I've heard so far, ain't gonna happen.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Boberama

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 05:44:29 PM »
That would require actually listening to Lady Gaga, which from the snippets I've heard so far, ain't gonna happen.

Type in You and I. That's her new country song.

Also check out Bloody Mary.

All her songs are on Youtube.
Lady Gaga, Born This Way
Check out these tracks:
Bloody Mary
Highway Unicorn

Mods banned me.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 05:46:05 PM »
Yeah, good idea. Or maybe not. Definitely not.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 05:50:48 PM »

You mean little Miss Center of Attention has all of her stuff on YouTube? I'm shocked. Just shocked.  :P

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »
You want to have a philosophical discussion about a Lady Gaga album? I had to look it up..  street cred intact.

You know that civilization is at an end when someone uses "philosophical" and "Gaga" in the same sentences....and is serious about it....  :facepalm:

....and this is further proof of why all country music made after 1985 has been nothing but suck and fail....  [barf]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 06:26:26 PM »
Verily, there is no escape from that woman. I thought gun forums, one'd be safe... but alas. Even here.
At least I can claim I haven't consciously heard any song of hers. I don't listen to radio, that's why.
Why? They never play the real classics, that's why..

Boberama

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 06:27:52 PM »
You mean little Miss Center of Attention has all of her stuff on YouTube? I'm shocked. Just shocked.  :P

THere's a reason she's the center of attention. It's called talent.
 She was accepted to Julliard at 17, but turned it down to go to some other fancy school and be one of only 20 people in history to be accepted before they were 18.

Lady Gaga, Born This Way
Check out these tracks:
Bloody Mary
Highway Unicorn

Mods banned me.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 07:31:14 PM »
 She was accepted to Julliard at 17, but turned it down to go to some other fancy school and be one of only 20 people in history to be accepted before they were 18.

Hmmmm....no Juliard mentioned here ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Gaga#1986.E2.80.932004:_Early_life )....maybe Juliard misplaced her acceptance letter.....  ;)

....and, aside from one instance of fashion sense ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gagafameball.jpg ).....I haven't seen her in anything that isn't a Madonna/David Bowie/Elton John knockoff.....and I'm not mentioning Queen....because she ain't even a speck of dust compared to Freddie Mercury's world of talent.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 09:13:04 PM »

Type in "And You and I" and listen to something else.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »
Type in "And You and I" and listen to something else.

jim

And you and I climb, crossing the shapes of the morning
And you and I reach over the sun for the river
And you and I climb, clearer, towards the movement
And you and I called over valleys of endless seas
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 10:05:47 PM »
I listen to a wide variety of music. But that little three song album tends to be in the shop computer most of the time.

I listened hard but could not see
Life tempo change out and inside me.
The preacher trained in all to lose his name;
The teacher travels, asking to be shown the same.
In the end, we'll agree, we'll accept, we'll immortalize
That the truth of the man maturing in his eyes,
All complete in the sight of seeds of life with you.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 10:18:19 PM »
I really don't begrudge anyone their taste in music.

What little I've heard of Lady Gaga just doesn't speak to me on any level. Her and I most likely share very little in the way of life experiences other than those common to humankind. In areas we share common human experiences our view and interpretation of events is most probably very different.

YES has a special place in the soundtrack of my life.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 10:37:58 PM »
Is that an Anglicized version of Toi et Moi?

Edit: doesn't appear to be any resemblance.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:41:22 PM by Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 11:32:20 PM »

:facepalm: Now I understand the title of your thread. It IS satire, and the joke is on us. Bravo, Bob!

(Not that I'm saying she's without talent. I wouldn't know. It's just kinda obvious that her fame is due to publicity stunts.)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 11:39:09 PM »
and you and I is a great song by a band called yes,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fi-sUOM8io
 I remember smoking pot in the seventies & thinking how deep this song was, as well as the entire Fragile album.
The big problem is I've forgotten why I thought it was really deep but the song remains the same.

As far as Lady Gaga? is she related to Lord Gaga? I hardly like any body with "Lady" in front of their name-not even "Lady Antebellum"

Maybe we can get both ladies to have a shooting competition, the winner gets a S&W Ladysmith
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 11:41:31 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 11:49:39 PM »
 I remember smoking pot in the seventies & thinking how deep this song was, as well as the entire Fragile album.
The big problem is I've forgotten why I thought it was really deep but the song remains the same.

As far as Lady Gaga? is she related to Lord Gaga? I hardly like any body with "Lady" in front of their name-not even "Lady Antebellum"

Maybe we can get both ladies to have a shooting competition, the winner gets a S&W Ladysmith

Were they better in the 70's?  Because seriously...  that was awful.  Maybe you have to have been a fan from the start or something?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:53:41 PM by 41magsnub »

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 12:29:08 AM »

Were they better in the 70's?  Because seriously...  that was awful.  Maybe you have to have been a fan from the start or something?

Notice GS stated "I remember smoking pot in the seventies & thinking how deep this song was,..."  That is all the explanation that is needed.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.