Author Topic: Satire or not?  (Read 39534 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Satire or not?
« Reply #175 on: June 19, 2011, 11:33:30 AM »
my dad dropped me off at alexandria roller rink to see david bowie and lou reed. i don't think he's ever seen a man with a beard in a halter top before.... or since.  great concert though.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2011, 12:34:47 PM »
Do you mean to say that Lady Gaga's PR team would pay to have someone troll this tiny forum?
Could be. I figure that some of the "work from home for good money!" ads are legitimate, and they involve spamming. I don't see why Gaga's people wouldn't be in on very low-cost publicity.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2011, 12:45:48 PM »
my dad dropped me off at alexandria roller rink to see david bowie and lou reed. i don't think he's ever seen a man with a beard in a halter top before.... or since.  great concert though.

Thanks for the image.  Now I'm having to do mental gymnastics to get your avatar out of my head.  :P
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2011, 05:34:08 PM »
*sigh*

So my wife likes most of Lady Gaga's music.  But she's in no way a "fanatic" as boberama puts it.  I admit a few of her songs catch my attention, have a good tune, or a good beat.  But mostly when I see her I see a narcissistic personality, or for those that don't like five-dollar words, an attention whore.

Which is the problem I have with *most* modern performing artists.  It's not about the music, it' all about "LOOK AT ME!!!!"

Music is simply one of the means by which they draw attention to themselves. 

Now don't get me wrong, I like genuinely good music.  And I've seen some of Stefani Germanotta's performances pre-Lady Gaga.  And I will say that she is a genuinely talented, even gifted, musician, even though her singing voice tends towards being a bit nasal (you can still hear it a bit in "Poker Face").  But inasmuch as this is true, the commercialized, over-hyped, over-sensationalized Lady Gaga is NOT someone I would regularly enjoy listening to.

Finally, while her being accepted to Juilliard is impressive, it is tempered by being the "pre-college" division which is somewhat less competitive as it has pretty severe geographic restrictions on where students live, etc.  Granted, there are 18 million people in that same geographic area, and only 149 students are accepted to that division of Juilliard, but it's not quite the same as the College itself, which accepts students from around the world and is *much* more competitive.  Tisch School of the Arts is good, but it isn't Juilliard. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »

Too bad ot wasn't cooper, you might have run into my dad :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

• friends
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2011, 06:58:49 PM »
heck i saw cooper a couple times   how bad would it eek you out if i met your dad and it turned out we'd met?

my helper almost lost his mind when it turned out the girl he fell in lovbe with's dad and i went to high school together, lived 3 doors apart  the look on both the kids faces was priceless
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2011, 07:01:46 PM »
Hah, I think it would be pretty cool. But I doubt you would have associated with Dad and his buds, they would have been a bit older... And *expletive deleted*it faced.  :laugh:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

• friends
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »
how old?  and i didn't draw a sober breath for more than a decade  would be 2 decades but the state of va enforced sobriety on me twice

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2011, 07:05:43 PM »
how old?  and i didn't draw a sober breath for more than a decade  would be 2 decades but the state of va enforced sobriety on me twice

He said he saw cooper either late in 69 or later. So, he was younger then I thought... so 19 or thereabouts.

• friends
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2011, 07:08:53 PM »
i was 10 or 11 then  and still a nice catholic boy from new york. if he ran around in woodbridge springfield or alexandria we mighta bumped into each other during mid late 70's

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2011, 07:11:53 PM »
i was 10 or 11 then  and still a nice catholic boy from new york. if he ran around in woodbridge springfield or alexandria we mighta bumped into each other during mid late 70's

That would be about when he moved down here, I think.

The Turds where playing into '75 or '76, and he sobered up in '84 (concendently the year I was born  :lol:)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2011, 07:19:03 PM »
The kids is gone and I never got the chance to post this video.  IMO, this sort of humor and satire is much better including better music.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUP5rwVNJko

I was thinking that when I was in college, I saw it as sort of a badge of honor that I liked bands that were not mainstream and saw a few in concert before they became big hits.  I guess I had given up on trying to convert anyone to my tastes in music. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2011, 07:22:12 PM »
The kids is gone and I never got the chance to post this video.  IMO, this sort of humor and satire is much better including better music.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUP5rwVNJko

I was thinking that when I was in college, I saw it as sort of a badge of honor that I liked bands that were not mainstream and saw a few in concert before they became big hits.  I guess I had given up on trying to convert anyone to my tastes in music. 

I LOVE THAT SONG! It was big when I was in middle school....

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #188 on: June 19, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
I have that CD somewhere.  I think I was in college at the time.  I think that band is completely different in style from just about anything else I listen to, but it is good music and a good band so I like it.  Good music is good music.  It don't need fancy clothes or profound lyrics.  Besides, if I wanted enlightenment, I have centuries of classical music and literature to sift through.  I wouldn't call any modern pop music enlightening. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2011, 07:40:28 PM »
The band I was really big on, around the same time was Presidents Of The United States.

And, FYI, Southern Culture on the Skids is still going. They play around here about once a year.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »
SCOTS reminds me of Tito and Tarantula, that did a lot of the music for Tarantino/Rodriguez movies like From Dusk Til Dawn and Desperado.

After Dark (the song when Salma Hayek gets sorta not really nekkid in FDTD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYxxgvA8rlM (Mild NSFW)

I love the guitar solo in that one, though the audio mix in the movie is designed to make the guitar solo "climax" during Hayek's dance.

Also particularly good is Back To The House (Desperado):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jiwHZrx9MU

A buddy of mine and I were really into those Tarantino/Rodriguez movies and played guitar, and we could lead/rhythm many tunes from the soundtracks.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2011, 12:43:27 PM »
Never mind.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.