Author Topic: Obama authorizes the release of 30 million barrels from Strategic Reserve  (Read 6885 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Said he wants to cut gas prices and stabilize the economy.  Trying to buy early votes is more like it.  Most Dems and Reps are saying it isn't the right thing to do. :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

longeyes

• friend
He should try unlocking "the strategic reserves" we haven't drilled yet.

Who the hell is he kidding?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Wait...I thought supply was fine?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

griz

• friend
Gas prices have dropped about 40 cents recently, you would think that would make the ploy transparent enough that anybody could see through it.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Wait...I thought supply was fine?

It is.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Waitone

• friend
An example of Obama trying to avoid the appearance of being completely out of touch.  So he sees that prices will continue to drop.  He would not want prices to decline with him doing nothing but playing gold.  So he releases oil from the strategic reserve (a truly meaningless action).  Now Obama has all the PR coverage he needs.

If he is really interested in lowering prices, and he isn't, he would issue the equivalent of a "Hey, Diddle Diddle.  Let's drill in the middle (of everywhere)."  Current prices would drop in anticipation of future supplies coming on line.  Happened before and will happen again just as soon as he acts decisively.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
But look at the bright side, when had to resupply the reserve it will be a current market value which will push up the national debt even further....  Wait a minute, I guess that isn't a bright side. ;/
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

MechAg94

• friend
Said he wants to cut gas prices and stabilize the economy.  Trying to buy early votes is more like it.  Most Dems and Reps are saying it isn't the right thing to do. :facepalm:
Buying votes is right.  Someone needs to pay attention to who gets the resale rights to this stuff. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
It is part of the 60 million that is being released from reserves around the world to off-set what is being lost from Libya being shut down.   :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
It is part of the 60 million that is being released from reserves around the world to off-set what is being lost from Libya being shut down.   :facepalm:

Yep, the Libyan shortfall that has already been made up by various OPEC countries increasing their production.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

longeyes

• friend
Strategic reserves are for emergency needs, not sops to consumers and not political wampum.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

wuluf

• friend
i thought he didn't believe that increasing supply would lower the price? Isn't that what he says when we want to "Drill baby, Drill"?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
i thought he didn't believe that increasing supply would lower the price? Isn't that what he says when we want to "Drill baby, Drill"?
Yeah, but prices were already falling so he can still maintain this position later
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

longeyes

• friend
And is it half of the total we are supplying?  What happened to international pulling-together?  All I see is Obama hollowing out America to the benefit of everyone else.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

zahc

• friend
So that I can have perspective, does anyone know the daily/weekly US demand?

I'm frankly surprised that gasoline is in a dip, considering summer travel.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Azrael256

• friend
So that I can have perspective, does anyone know the daily/weekly US demand?

It depends on your source, but this is somewhere between one and three days of oil.  I think the general consensus estimate is right under 20M/day.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
I think the general consensus estimate is right under 20M/day.

Just for pedantic clarification, that is 20 million barrels per day.

Waitone

• friend
The entire strategic reserve will supply 100% of US demand for about 2, maybe 3 days.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

dogmush

• friend
The entire strategic reserve will supply 100% of US demand for about 2, maybe 3 days.

34 days unless wiki is lying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Petroleum_Reserve_(United_States)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
The SPR has enough crude petroleum to fuel the entire United States for approximately 35 days at a consumption rate of 20 million barrels per day as it contains approximately 700 million barrels. However the SPR only has enough pipeline capacity to draw 4.45 million barrels per day, so in reality it can supply approximately 22.25% of the total U.S. usage per day over a period of 157 days (5 months). This is really neither here nor there however as the SPR's purpose is to fuel the U.S. military and government in the event of fuel disruption, presumably during which the government will be busy fixing whatever mess caused the disruption.

Edited for spelling and missing words cause I think faster than my typing can keep up.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:36:36 PM by kgbsquirrel »

birdman

• friend
The SPR has enough crude petroleum to fuel the entire United States for approximately 35 days at a consumption rate of 20 million barrels per day as it contains approximately 700 million barrels. However the SPR only has enough pipeline capacity to draw 4.45 million barrels per day, so in reality it can supply approximately 22.25% of the total U.S. usage per day over a period of 157 days (5 months). This is really neither here nor there however as the SPR's purpose is to fuel the U.S. military and government in the event of fuel disruption, presumably during which the government will be busy fixing whatever mess caused the disruption.

Edited for spelling and missing words cause I think faster than my typing can keep up.

Also, since we do import a substantial amount from Canada, Mexico, and have substantial domestic production, the goal for the SPR is to supply in the case of overseas shipped imports (not pipeline or local shipping), hence the pipeline limit.  With domestic and nafta supply and the SPR, in the case of a true emergency, the SPR could maintain a good (60-75% normal) supply for the few months needed.

Waitone

• friend
I stand corrected.