Author Topic: ARRL Field Day  (Read 509 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
ARRL Field Day
« on: June 24, 2011, 06:54:23 AM »
Who's going to operate and what class?

My club is going to run a site in Manassas (just off Rt28 if you care).  I don't know what our class is going to be since I'm just an op, but I'll personally be running a solar powered QRP station.  If you hear a weak signal calling "CQ Field Day CQ Field Day Whiskey Four Oskar Victor Hotel ", that'll probably be me. :D

My station: Yaesu FT-817nd with Collins SSB filter and W4RT DSP Mod, Emtech ZM-2 antenna tuner, Inverted-V antenna supported by an Army surplus portable mast.  Battery is a 12v 1.3ah gel cell charged by a folding 15w solar panel. 

In the past, and in a different Field Day site, I've used the same gear but with a 130ft ladder-line fed dipole.  That has always performed well, but I want to try something portable that also doesn't require anything I couldn't bring with me (ie tall trees for support).

Chris

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: ARRL Field Day
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »
I've thought about trying to find one locally to try out. Not a ton of interest in the actual radio aspect, but the tech is neat.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.