Author Topic: If I Never Hear These Classic Rock Groups/Songs Again It Will Be Too Soon  (Read 29319 times)

grampster

• friend
What is the name of that awful band that plays a lot of flutes and other dark ages instruments?  I hate that music so much I have blocked the name of the band.

Crap, now I'm hearing that vile music in my head.

Jethro Tull?   >:D

Yup.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
Hmmm... seems there are two very distinct groups commenting here. Those of us born before 1970 and those of you born after.  =D

Also had to laugh at some of the colorful terms used to describe how strongly various songs/groups are disliked. Shingles? That's funny!

The Stones are another band that's ALWAYS playing. I like the Stones, but I've always been a B-side kind of girl and some of my faves never get air time. That goes for quite a few of the bands listed here.

Adding to the list: ZZ Top's Gimme All Your Lovin'. And that stupid talking harmonica song, what is it, "That's all right?" Who does that? Peter Gabriel? No, that's not right. Whatever. The song was cool when I was a teenager but hearing it five times a day for over 20 years has significantly reduced the cool factor. Would rather eat chalk.

Godaddy has Squirrel Nut Zippers on its hold music.
I now HATE the Squirrel Nut Zippers.
Godaddy used to be the only company I didn't mind sitting on hold with because the music was great! Was also the only company that was fast and you DIDN'T sit on hold long. Still like the Squirrel Nut Zippers, but am completely over that specific song. Definitely wish they'd switch it up, but still give them kudos for marching to their own beat.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I like old Jethro Tull, pre Songs from the wood I saw a concert on TV a few months ago of Tull - my gawd, awful, the music was ok but chubby 70 yrs old dudes don't need to be prancin around like that. The worst was The Who during that stupid bowl half time show a yr or two ago.  The half time show should be high school marching bands or something American, not elderly British soccer fans.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

grislyatoms

• friends
Who does that? Peter Gabriel? No, that's not right. Whatever. The song was cool when I was a teenager but hearing it five times a day for over 20 years has significantly reduced the cool factor. Would rather eat chalk.

Close. Peter Frampton. And, agreed.  =D
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
I almost never hear Zepplin on the radio out here. Ditto most Sabbath. I like what I like. Some is popular, some is not. Music radio is the equivalent or McDonalds. Mostly crap, but passable if you have no alternative.

Meshuggah gets so many raves, but to me they always sound like work shanties for factory robots. I really think 8 string guitars should be banned from metal, they just steal all the frequencies the bass should be on. The bassist tries to down tune to C# or something stupid like that, and the music ends up with no bass presence and the freqs it should be on clogged with mush from the distorted 8 strings.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

grislyatoms

• friends
Edgar Winter? I've never heard any station play his songs. I don't remember many stations playing his music in the 60's, either. Maybe it was his heroin addiction.
A few stations back home and one here seem to think "Frankenstein" and "Free Ride" are staples to played several times a day.  [barf] to begin with, but throughout the day? Sheesh. (Referring to Edgar Winter Group, not Edgar Winter specifically. Sorry if that caused some confusion)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
And that stupid talking harmonica song, what is it, "That's all right?" Who does that? Peter Gabriel? No, that's not right. Whatever. The song was cool when I was a teenager but hearing it five times a day for over 20 years has significantly reduced the cool factor. Would rather eat chalk.

THAT'S ANOTHER ONE. I *expletive deleted*ing HATE THAT SONG.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

grampster

• friend
Do you feel.....do you feel......do you feel like we do..doooo?  That's all right, that's all right...inter alia :P =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MrsSmith

• friend
Grampster! And to think I was willing to buy you a drink and a box of ammo the other day.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

grampster

• friend
Heh. :lol:

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Saw Frampton in concert 5-6 years ago, twas awesome.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MrsSmith

• friend
Chalk eaters. Both of you.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
I guess I'd better not say anything about Peter Frampton. ;)

Oh, what the hell, there's enough people here who give me a hard time for liking old groups like the Stones.

I couldn't stand Peter Frampton when he was new on the scene, and I'm pretty confident he hasn't done anything to change my mind.

grislyatoms

• friends
What they don't play enough? "Ordinary Average Guy" by Joe Walsh.

grislyatoms

• friends
"Ordinary, average guy" by Joe Walsh should be my anthem. Makes me laugh every time.

"Pick up the dog doo, hope that it's hard."

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
Especially "Sweet Child of Mine" or "Welcome to the Jungle".  I have heard those songs a billion times and can't stand them any more.

When I worked at a Dairy Queen, we were not allowed to change the radio away from the local soft-rock station, even after closing time.  In later jobs, the radio belonged to the shop foreman/service manager/lead tech, and it was all mullet, all the time(so lots of play for the above mentioned songs).  I found that I was able to tolerate the repetition by creating my own, er, alternate lyrics... "welcome to the bunghole" etc... unfortunately this now occurs as a reflex, although I sometimes can refrain from singing the dirty version out loud.

I haven't liked any popular music since Nirvana came out and drastically lowered the standards of talent in the music industry.  I have no music stations pre-set in my car radio except for 101 WRIF so I can listen to a morning talk show.

THANK YOU.  Nirvana was an insult at the time, and it's disgusting that they are now still given airtime.  Talentless tools.

Most people in this country have never heard of the bands I listen to.  Now that the American music industry is run by corporate bean-counters who crank out generic, dumbed-down crap intended solely for mass appeal, I look elsewhere.

I think you give the ol' record companies too much credit, at least with the "Now that" part.  Beatles, dumbed-down crap intended solely for mass appeal? ;) Deep, they were not.  Popular and wildly successful, yes.  The music industry has been about popularity and profit for as long as it's been an industry.

Stuff on the classic rock station I can't stand: Led Zepplin. Rush. Pink Floyd. Journey. The Eagles (ESPECIALLY HOTEL CALIFORNIA). .38 Special. John Melloncamp. Pretty much any emotional, hippie bull*expletive deleted* song/band I hate.

John Mellencamp and Pink Floyd are my two worst "classic-rock" buttons.  Whenever that stupid "Jack and Diane" song comes on, I picture the guitar-playing teacher from Beavis and Butthead singing it.

Stuff on the new rock station I can't stand: Theory of a Deadman. Everclear. Couple others I don't know the names of, but I HATE the music. Again, more emo hippie bull*expletive deleted*. And then the new rock station also plays *expletive deleted* like Zepplin that I tried to escape by coming to the new rock station. WTF?

What's the deal with current rock being all aggro?  For the last two or three years it seems like one out of every three new songs is about kicking somebody's ass(i.e. "one of us is going down") or being a hedonistic thug("I think bad thoughts").  Is "hard" rock the new gangsta rap?

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Radio?  Bah, I've been listening to the new Lady Gaga album for two weeks straight now trying to find some deeper meaning to it.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Another favorite band of mine was on the radio at the gym today: Van Halen. It was bad enough when there was just Eddie Van Halen, but when David Lee Roth and his little girl squeals were added to the band, it drove me insane. Still does.

The pop music industry has always been about marketing. Up until Bob Dylan and the Beatles, every pop song was two minutes and fifteen seconds long. If the song was longer than that, it was cut to 2:15 for the .45 and radio play, and the full-length version was only on an album. Somebody years before that decided that two minutes and fifteen seconds was as long as a listener's attention would last. (The same thing had happened with the movie industry in the 1920's, when movies were just one reel long).

Music marketing today is very slick, certainly in comparison to that of the 1950's through 1970's. What passed for marketing back then was laughable. What passes for marketing today is disgusting.

MrsSmith

• friend
Van Halen. It was bad enough when there was just Eddie Van Halen, but when David Lee Roth and his little girl squeals were added to the band, it drove me insane. Still does.

I'm with you on that one, David Lee Roth makes my skin crawl.

And you don't like Peter Frampton. You stepped up a notch in my book Monkeyleg. I'll forgive any of your past comments that irked me.  :laugh:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
And you don't like Peter Frampton. You stepped up a notch in my book Monkeyleg. I'll forgive any of your past comments that irked me.

Should I tell you what other groups I don't like? Maybe you'll wind up actually thinking I'm a decent guy. (Well, maybe that's a bit much to ask).  ;)

Lee

• friend
I remember when listening to FM meant you might hear something beyond ordinary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2vE5b_FgEA

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I love making my own lyrics to sing along too, it has gotten me in trouble too.
 I worked as a dishwasher in Ireland for a while ( Ireland is where bland stupid yankee pop RULES! )  & they played Sade's "smooth operator" over and over ... I changed it to "phone sex operator"  They would get so dang Irate when I called Gilbert & Sullivan "Gilbert O'sullivan"  "alone again naturally" would be A clone again, naturally.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
"alone again naturally"

Oh, God. Whenever I heard that song, I wanted to find Gilbert O. Sullivan and personally throw him off a nearby tower.

Gah! The song is stuck in my head now!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
I can't stand the Rolling Stones.  Sorry, they are grossly overplayed and the music sucks.  WDRV some night digs down and plays deep tracks and whole album sides, and then other nights is "bad '80's hair bands" night where it is one dog turd after another, John Mellencamp, Foreigner, Eagles, Journay, Fleetwood Mac, ZZ Top, et al.....

Those nights it gets kicked over to WFMT for classical classical.

I do like Jethro Tull.  Heavy Horses....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.