Author Topic: If I Never Hear These Classic Rock Groups/Songs Again It Will Be Too Soon  (Read 29524 times)

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
Should I tell you what other groups I don't like? Maybe you'll wind up actually thinking I'm a decent guy. (Well, maybe that's a bit much to ask).  ;)

Maybe a bit much, but you're always welcome to try dear.

Scout - that's a pretty vehement statement about the Stones. I'll give you grossly overplayed, but I do like some of it mostly for the walks down memory lane it evokes. But you're entitled to your misguided opinion...  ;)

When I get tired of the overplaying, I revert to my stack of blues CDs. I have to say I've never heard John Mayall on the radio.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
I have to say I've never heard John Mayall on the radio.

I did, and quite often, but that was the late 60's and early 70's, and it was on FM. For a brief time, FM offered a real alternative to AM pop music, with "alternative rock" stations playing some really good music from John Mayall, Traffic, Canned Heat, and a whole slew of other bands that never got any AM airtime.

MrsSmith

• friend
Yes, but I was in diapers in the late 60s.  :laugh:
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

HForrest

• friend
Agreed on pretty much all accounts with everyone in this thread. Foreigner, Journey, the Eagles and John Mellencamp are some of the worst offenders in my book, and I'll add that whenever Billy Joel comes on the radio, moving my arm to the 'off' switch has become an involuntary reflex that occurs within milliseconds.

The same few Rush songs over and over again definitely get old. I had always thought they were pretty decent, but was never that big of a fan until I saw them live. They're far more impressive than the few songs that most people associate them with and are particularly talented live musicians-- their catalog is extensive and full of mediocrity, but you can find some stuff that is unique, refreshing, and creative.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:14:43 PM by HForrest »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Riush is one of those bands, there commercial stuff isn't bad, but nothing can withstand that much airtime and not get old.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

grislyatoms

• friends
I love making my own lyrics to sing along too, it has gotten me in trouble too.
 I worked as a dishwasher in Ireland for a while ( Ireland is where bland stupid yankee pop RULES! )  & they played Sade's "smooth operator" over and over ... I changed it to "phone sex operator"  They would get so dang Irate when I called Gilbert & Sullivan "Gilbert O'sullivan"  "alone again naturally" would be A clone again, naturally.

Scorpions "Big City Nights". I'll leave the rest to your imagination.  >:D
There are many more, but I'll just hush now.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Yes, but I was in diapers in the late 60s.  :laugh:

That's a tough opening to pass up, but I'm afraid ML would think I've been piling on a bit too much of late.   >:D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
That's a tough opening to pass up, but I'm afraid ML would think I've been piling on a bit too much of late.

It's okay. I'm married. I'm accustomed to abuse. ;)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Ooooo!

You're quick!   :laugh:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MrsSmith

• friend
Oh, go ahead DD.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Reminds me of one of the good lines from the TV series "MASH".

"Frank invites abuse. It would be impolite not to accept."

henschman

Hey, if you ever get tired of all that classic rock, just turn the dial over to one of the stations that play modern music and you will be begging to hear Aerosmith play "Dream On" for the 40,000th time. 

I find almost all modern music to be thoroughly horrible.  Either sickeningly soft crap that sounds like an Apple commercial, with just chimes, maybe an acoustic guitar, and some girl singing falsetto; or its somebody rapping in a robot voice with a very repetitive track of synthesized string instruments in the background; or a rock song about all your scars and how shitty life is, with some talentless, rhythmless frenzied guitar strumming and drumming.  You might occasionally hear some halfway decent guitar and drums, but paired with the most ridiculous, simplistic, juvenile lyrics you've ever heard.

I used to listen to the new music stations until I was about 17, which was in 2002-2003, and realized that new music was getting really awful.  I switched to classic rock and never looked back.  I still like some of the rock and even some of the rap from the 90s and early 2000s, but the newer stuff is almost universally crap in my opinion. 

I downloaded a very large stash of good classic rock back when Limewire was around, and some thumb drives or burned CD's of that keep me going.  I do occasionally remember a song that I would like to download that is not in my library though.  I guess I need to find another site to download music from.  Any ideas?

Lately I have been driving a POS car that doesn't take a USB drive or CD's, so I have been stuck flipping between the 5 or 6 stations around here that play rock and roll, and can usually catch something I at least sort of like.  I guess I should probably get an Mp3 player and an FM transmitter, but I haven't broken down and got one yet. 

“Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual.”
-- Thomas Jefferson

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Hey, if you ever get tired of all that classic rock, just turn the dial over to one of the stations that play modern music and you will be begging to hear Aerosmith play "Dream On" for the 40,000th time. 

I find almost all modern music to be thoroughly horrible.  Either sickeningly soft crap that sounds like an Apple commercial, with just chimes, maybe an acoustic guitar, and some girl singing falsetto; or its somebody rapping in a robot voice with a very repetitive track of synthesized string instruments in the background; or a rock song about all your scars and how *expletive deleted*ty life is, with some talentless, rhythmless frenzied guitar strumming and drumming.  You might occasionally hear some halfway decent guitar and drums, but paired with the most ridiculous, simplistic, juvenile lyrics you've ever heard.

I used to listen to the new music stations until I was about 17, which was in 2002-2003, and realized that new music was getting really awful.  I switched to classic rock and never looked back.  I still like some of the rock and even some of the rap from the 90s and early 2000s, but the newer stuff is almost universally crap in my opinion. 

I downloaded a very large stash of good classic rock back when Limewire was around, and some thumb drives or burned CD's of that keep me going.  I do occasionally remember a song that I would like to download that is not in my library though.  I guess I need to find another site to download music from.  Any ideas?

Lately I have been driving a POS car that doesn't take a USB drive or CD's, so I have been stuck flipping between the 5 or 6 stations around here that play rock and roll, and can usually catch something I at least sort of like.  I guess I should probably get an Mp3 player and an FM transmitter, but I haven't broken down and got one yet. 

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
The majority of all music that gets airplay is horrible, and it always has been. Just as much excellent music is being made today as it ever has, but now it's easier to find thanks to the magic of the internet.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Henschman, while I don't like most contemporary pop music for obvious reasons (I'm 60), it's unusual to find someone young who prefers old songs.

It's more often than not true that people like the music they heard when they were in their late teens or early twenties, and then dislike what comes after. Sometimes they'll dislike later music forever. Other times, as with me, I find myself liking music I disliked in the past because of my age prejudice. That's why I was a late fan of bands like Dire Straits.

I also find myself liking songs from the 80's and 90's that I couldn't stand back then, but only because I dislike them less than what I hear now.

I do find some interesting contemporary music through my nieces and nephews, music that's not pop. My wife is into all sorts of music, including contemporary, so I'll hear things I like that are current, but just not played on the radio.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I know a girl, barely 20 who really likes and appreciates great music, like the clash/sex pistols/violent femmes/bad brains/dead kennedys/black flag. ... you know, timeless greats.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
...clash/sex pistols/violent femmes/bad brains/dead kennedys/black flag...

I wonder how many 20-something's would know any of those names, other than maybe the Sex Pistols (because of Johnny Rotten's infamous death)?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Reminds me of one of the good lines from the TV series "MASH".

"Frank invites abuse. It would be impolite not to accept."

[cue crowd of Korean Doctors]

"You tell 'im, ferret face"

[/kd]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
I wonder how many 20-something's would know any of those names, other than maybe the Sex Pistols (because of Johnny Rotten's infamous death)?

???

Wikipedia says he's still alive....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Rotten
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
LOL I totally missed that!!

It was Sid Viscous that died a real rockNroll death, I think Rotten was only in it for the money.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Ooops. Shows you what a big fan I was. ;)

P5 Guy

If I never hear either of the two Piano Men until the protons will have all evaporated from the blackholes that sucked them in I'll be a happy quark.
Every day at about 3:15PM Da Bone plays Elton John or Billy Joel. I never cared for either of them when their songs were new, 40 years later they haven't aged into fine Ports to my ears.
I pretty much never listened to POP MUSIC.
And what classic rock commercial radio station plays Fairport Convention or Steel Eye Span? My two favorite female vocalists from the late 60s early 70s are Sandy and Maddy.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...

I do, and I hate te sex pistols.

My friends and I all listined to older music when we were in HS. there were three of us. I listined to Punk, ashley was obsessed with Cream and Beanie was all early 90's alternative.

We HATED the music of the time (99-02) which was all rap and bad pop, with rock limited to crap like Creed.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

I've heard all of them except Bad Brains.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
I've heard all of them except Bad Brains.

Yeah, but you're weird. ;)

I never put together the name "Rush" and those awful sounds I hear, but I heard one the other day at the gym, looked it up, and found it was Rush. It's good to put a name with something you really hate.

Sounds like the lead singer has his nuts in a vise, and the "poetic" and socially significant lyrics sound forced.