Author Topic: British Worship Huge Breasts As New Diety  (Read 7328 times)

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

British Worship Huge Breasts As New Diety
« on: March 27, 2005, 06:52:56 PM »
If they need a name for the new Goddess I vote for "Tituncommon"  Cheesy

Goddess with 100ft breasts to rival Angel of the North
Jonathan Leake, Environment Editor
FIRST came the Angel of the North. Now motorists using the A1 are to be confronted with the far earthier figure of a giant reclining goddess stretching her curves alongside nearly half a mile of the dual carriageway.

The woman, with breasts and hips up to 100ft high, will be created 10 miles north of Newcastle from the waste material generated by open-cast mining, with each of her enormous curves concealing millions of tons of mining spoil.

By the time the Goddess of the North is finished in two to three years she should be among the worlds largest sculptures and visible from a passing passenger jet.

Charles Jencks, the renowned landscape sculptor behind the designs, said: When finished you will see the most incredible curvaceous woman lying there with her left leg over the right and her hair spread out.

The figure is likely to become as famous as the Angel of the North, the 65ft high metal statue designed by Antony Gormley outside Gateshead, 15 miles to the south.

The idea for the goddess emerged when the Banks Group, a mining and property company, realised there were millions of tons of valuable coal lying under farmland on the Blagdon estate near Shotton, Northumberland.

The site was, however, sandwiched between the East Coast main railway line and the busy A1. With more than 100,000 motorists and rail users passing by each day there were guaranteed to be protests if the landscape were scarred by mining.

They contacted Jencks after his landscaping for the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art won the 2004 Gulbenkian prize for museum of the year.

Jencks said: When most mining companies finish at an open-cast site, they fill it and turn it back into farmland. We wanted to do something that would give back something positive to the community.

The huge scale of the goddess, particularly the millions of tons of spoil that will have to be moved to create her face, breasts, hips and thighs, would make the project impossibly expensive if it were attempted anywhere else. Open-cast mining, however, relies on some of the biggest earth-moving machinery ever made and Banks has pledged to allow Jencks whatever he needs.

A Banks spokesman said the figure would become the centrepiece of a land-art park with footpaths wending their way over and around the goddess.

A foretaste of the designs will come in next Sundays edition of ITVs The South Bank Show, which will showcase some of Jenckss previous work. Perhaps the best known is the Garden of Cosmic Speculation at his home in Portrack, near Dumfries.

In it he and Maggie Keswick, his late wife, worked with leading physicists, cosmologists and biologists to create landscape metaphors for some of the greatest mysteries of modern science such as the Big Bang that is thought to have created the universe.

The garden is only occasionally open to the public but, when it is, the interest among gardeners is so great that local roads have been blocked by traffic. It features large mounds of earth with paths circling around them, extensive water features and sculptures of stone, metal and wood.

The Goddess of the North will draw on similar designs, but its inspiration comes from a very different source. American-born Jencks says that he has long been fascinated by the ancient British tradition of creating massive works of art on the land, which goes back to neolithic times.

For the Goddess of the North he has drawn on ancient Northumbrian myths, of which the best known is that of Coventina, a goddess of water and springs who was worshipped during Roman times and who was often portrayed naked and reclining.

Jencks plans to reveal his full designs, including models and paintings, at an exhibition in the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art in Newcastle on April 20.

Melvyn Bragg, presenter of The South Bank Show, said: I was impressed by the big statements and questions that he addresses in the cosmic garden, such as the way he attempted to find metaphors for the creation of the universe.

The reclining goddess is also bold, but the idea of walking over a reclining woman may not appeal to everyones tastes.

Jenckss plans are part of a planning application which the Banks Group has submitted to Northumberland County Council. Under the scheme, Banks would give the land to a charity along with endowment funds from which the sculpture would be maintained.

A spokeswoman said: What we hope is that even when mining is fully under way the only thing passers-by will see is the figure of a beautiful woman.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1543249_1,00.html
"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

Holly76201

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 07:24:49 PM »
Luke,
     Get your hormones under control! It's not breasts that are the diety, it will be a goddess in the old sense. In other words, she will be a full figured woman with large breasts AND hips AND thighs. She won't be a surgically enhanced, bulimic Hooter's waitress. {/End Rant}
Veni, Vidi, Vivisecti

FUR IS MURDER to clean

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 07:26:54 PM »
What? I blanked out have "huge breasts"
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 12:37:11 AM »
Hugh Hefner would be proud.... Wink
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

spacemanspiff

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 07:11:58 AM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm boobies!
Wear a Yellow Armband!

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 11:12:55 AM »
Now that's a deity I can get onboard with! Cheesy
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 12:23:38 PM »
That's the breast thing I've heard all day!

love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Iain

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 01:50:22 PM »
I lived up that way for five years, will have to take a trip back up there to see the enormous breasts.

Wonder if she will be performing the 'Geordie hug'? Geordie women (Geordies are from Newcastle way) wear so little out on a Friday night, even in February, that they walk around hugging themselves to try and keep a little warm.

And jamz - indeed, everybody does love Magical Trevor. I'm stuck with the song for days after someone mentions him.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 02:51:28 PM »
Quote from: Iain
And jamz - indeed, everybody does love Magical Trevor. I'm stuck with the song for days after someone mentions him.
Indeed- what's not to love about Magical Trevor?

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 06:52:06 PM »
Now the British will have something to balance things out with this structure:  http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=100089

Cheesy
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 07:22:54 PM »
When most mining companies finish at an open-cast site, they fill it and turn it back into farmland. We wanted to do something that would give back something positive to the community.
'Scuse me? I like the idea and all, but how is a big pile of earth that costs millions to make and maintain (Cutting the grass will be a must.) more positive than farmland?
D. R. ZINN

mfree

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 05:30:01 AM »
Huge...tracts of land, over huge tracts of land!

I like Smiley

Iain

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 06:59:05 AM »
Quote from: doczinn
'Scuse me? I like the idea and all, but how is a big pile of earth that costs millions to make and maintain (Cutting the grass will be a must.) more positive than farmland?
You've got no soul my friend.

I was thinking the same thing, but I reckon that it will be many years before the mining is done with, and this is designed to obscure it for the duration. By the time mining is finished demolishing it will be as unpopular as knocking down Nelson's column to make way for a bank.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 11:10:04 AM »
she will be a full figured woman with large breasts AND hips AND thighs

..... okay! ......

spacemanspiff

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 11:54:12 AM »
i dont have to look past the breast, do i?
Wear a Yellow Armband!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 12:15:44 PM »
I wonder how many car accidents will be caused by males staring at the statue?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 04:25:37 PM »
Because farmland isn't artsy-fartsy. The kind of people (here in the US too) who are liable to raise the biggest ruckus about mining aren't the types of folks who have to worry about food on the table or making the mortgage payment on the house.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 05:03:16 PM »
Bread and circuses for the serfs.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.