Author Topic: I hate getting old  (Read 9715 times)

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: I hate getting old
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 04:59:29 PM »
http://www.charleseugster.net/userimages/Charles_Eugster_World_Masters_2009.JPG

This guy is 91 in the picture. Or just 90.

Never too old to start with weight-lifting. Dr.Eugster started at age 85, after being dissatisfied with his body... supposedly, he looked his age.

Apparently, heavy exercise and good nutrition can really improve quality on life. These days he only spends about 2 hours daily to exercise, and looks to be in very good health. Guy can do 18 pull-ups, which is impressive no matter what age. At his age, it's just totally bad-ass, I'd say...

This guy has a better physique than almost everyone on this forum. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 05:04:27 PM »
I'm 31 and having it done for the 4th time next month.  By the time I'm your age I'll be over 20 times.  It's no big deal.  Kinda like taking a nap.

I'm 37 and number 7 is tomorrow AM. You are right, proceedure no big deal but the prep sucks! I'm not looking forward to the colon blow tonight.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 05:25:14 PM »
Got the bifocals about 6 years ago. After the first set I went with the progressive lenses, I was able to get along with those much better. LASIK back in February now has me using regular reading glasses, I have several sets of different strengths for different tasks and once my eyes have settled at about the 6 months point I'll probably get a set of progressive reading glasses made.
I've had knee surgery, wrist surgery, shoulder surgery and 7 of my teeth have just broken during more or less normal operation.
If I'd have known I was gonna live this long I'd have taken better care of myself in my younger years

Hit the range this morning, took my 17 year old (till his birthday tomorrow)nephew out with me and it turns out today is the hottest day of the year so far, 102 when we decided it was time to head for the house. I would have stayed a little longer but I thought he was about all in for the heat.
Good thing I didn't I'm pretty whooped from the heat now.
All in all I'm not in too bad a shape for the shape I'm in. I'll be 50 a year from today if I make it that far.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 05:32:50 PM »
If I'd have known I was gonna live this long I'd have taken better care of myself in my younger years

ain't that the truth
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

grampster

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »
I'm 37 and number 7 is tomorrow AM. You are right, proceedure no big deal but the prep sucks! I'm not looking forward to the colon blow tonight.

Err, the prep doesn't suck, it blows. :P [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
All in all I'm not in too bad a shape for the shape I'm in. I'll be 50 a year from today if I make it that far.
 =D

Round is a shape.  Can I get an "Amen"?

And 50 is nothing more than the new 30.

Remember, age is just a mindset.  And if I could remember where I set mine down I'd tell you a thing or three.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 06:22:51 PM »
I'll be 50 a year from today if I make it that far.

Whippersnapper!   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 06:39:53 PM »
This guy has a better physique than almost everyone on this forum.

I'm pretty close to that, but the guy's 30 years older than me. Doesn't say much.

I should edit to add that I'm sure there's a lot of members with better physiques than that guy, and certainly better than mine.

There's guys at the gym my age or older who look like they've been lifting weights all their lives. Don't know how much time they've spent, but they sure spent more than me.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:28:23 PM by Monkeyleg »

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 07:14:06 PM »
At 46 soon to be 47 I'm feeling pretty awesome.

Although the eyes are slipping, the stomach requires a daily dose of Nexium and it does seem to take a bit more time to recover from hard exercise.

Cycling, both on the street and dirt have made a huge difference. A body and life changing difference.

Add to that sport climbing, hiking, backpacking, paddling, snowshoeing, X-country skiing and I'm always doing something, including the occasional weight lifting session.

Fresh air and using the body, the whole body. Diet? Smaller portions weighted toward protein. Literally in the last 5-6 years I've reversed much of the damage done in my yout and slowed the aging process down dramatically.

I still don't eat great but I eat less per serving, no more gorging till I'm ready to burst. The more water I drink the better I seem to feel.

It works for me.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:25:43 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 07:20:15 PM »

more like an explosion
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

• friends
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »
much truth! i've got 5 years before my next  the time goes too fast
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2011, 08:14:30 PM »
On the bright side....McDonalds will give you a discount on the senior coffee.  >:D

• friends
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2011, 08:38:26 PM »
i got my first senior discount last year :facepalm:

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »
Denial, fine line I'm walkin' between healthy lifestle and denial.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2011, 08:57:07 PM »
Uhh, okay, y'all are scaring me. I've had prostate exams several times. What is the whole "snaking things where the sun don't shine" and preparations/lack of all about?

???
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2011, 09:23:17 PM »
Uhh, okay, y'all are scaring me. I've had prostate exams several times. What is the whole "snaking things where the sun don't shine" and preparations/lack of all about?

???

A colonoscopy. Unless a person needs an earlier diagnostic workup, screening colonoscopies are recommended beginning at age 50.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2011, 09:47:36 PM »
Wow. I can understand the uh, reticence. Thanks for the heads-up, for when the time comes. 

• friends
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2011, 09:50:01 PM »
words cannot do it justice >:D

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
words cannot do it justice >:D

Last prostate exam I had, I told the doc that I felt like I should ask him out for a drink (just kidding around). He didn't find it funny.  :laugh:

grampster

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2011, 10:10:46 PM »

???

Thou hast to have thine colon cleansed so that thine doctor hast a bright place to snake his roto rooter camera looking for polyps.

The roto rooter job will occur while you are under the influence of a narcotic that eliminates your short term memory and really relaxes you.  You will be awake during the procedure, but stoned and you will babble and say embarrassing things.  =D  You just won't remember later.  You need to be awake because you may need to move around.   You will not know this because when the drug is wearing off you will think you are waking up.  You are not waking up, just becoming aware, but with no memory of the procedure.  You will still be stoned and still babbling embarrassing and stupid things for a little while. :laugh:

That is the fun part, especially if the nurses remember you the next time you come in. :facepalm:

Writer Dave Berry explains it best below: (no pun intended)

... I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an
appointment for a colonoscopy. A few days later, in his office, Andy
showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at
one point passing briefly through Minneapolis .
Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient
manner. I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was
shrieking, quote, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'  I left
Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep,'
which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail
later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America 's
enemies.  I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous. Then, on the
day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't
eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less
flavor. Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a
one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric
system, a liter is about 32 gallons.)  Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an
hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal
cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.  The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody
with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose watery bowel movement may
result.' This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact
with the ground.  MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but: Have
you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as
the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours
pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then,
when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which
point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you
have not even eaten yet.  After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep. The next
morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only was I worried about the
procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was
thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend for something like that?
Flowers would not be enough.  At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I
understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a
room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off
my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that,
when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked.    Then a
nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted,
but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put
vodka in their MoviPrep. At first was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but then I pondered
what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were
staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to burn your
house.  When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy
was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew
Andy had it hidden around there somewhere.  I was seriously nervous at this point. Andy had me
roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand. There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing
Queen' by Abba. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this
particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' has to be the least appropriate. ¡You want me to turn it up?'
said Andy, from somewhere behind me. 'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had
been dreading for more than a decade. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going
to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.  I have no idea. Really. I slept through it.
One moment, Abba was shrieking 'Dancing Queen! Feel the beat from the tambourine ...' and the
next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood. Andy was
looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when
Andy told me that it was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors.  
I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2011, 10:14:39 PM »
The auto parts store isn't the only place you have to make a lot of trips to.  At least it's a short walk.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2011, 03:49:43 AM »
The auto parts store isn't the only place you have to make a lot of trips to.  At least it's a short walk.

I've written about the experience before.  Go look it up.  Still walking 5 miles a day - 32 feet there, 32 feet back.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

For you young kids, Lasix is colorless, ordorless, and tastreless.  It dissolves rapidly in coffee.  Beware if you have just pissed off and olde phart who then brings you a cup of coffee. [tinfoil]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2011, 06:15:20 AM »
When I was younger, even in my 40's, I worked on cars and bikes all the time, sometimes all day, sometimes all weekend, sometimes all year. It never bothered me.

Today I replaced the stator on the alternator on my cycle, a job that would take a Harley dealer about four hours to do. Between the heat, two trips to the auto parts store, and my dilapidated body, it took me about eight.

I ache all over. My back hurts from being bent over, my legs hurt from squatting, and my neck hurts from twisting it around to look at parts on the bottom of the cycle.

I hate getting old.

Did you take breaks to stretch?   Also, go eat a banana.   Yes, seriously.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »
RevDisk, I took breaks to stretch and to go into A/C and drink some cold water. (Water's not that great when it's warm).

As for the great southern Amazon expedition, I've had it done four times. It takes a lot of drugs to put me under, so I was awake for all of the colonoscopies, but didn't feel pain. None of them was bad for me except the first, which was in 1980 or so, when the probe was much thicker than today, and I don't recall an anesthetic.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2011, 10:25:35 AM »
RevDisk, I took breaks to stretch and to go into A/C and drink some cold water. (Water's not that great when it's warm).

As for the great southern Amazon expedition, I've had it done four times. It takes a lot of drugs to put me under, so I was awake for all of the colonoscopies, but didn't feel pain. None of them was bad for me except the first, which was in 1980 or so, when the probe was much thicker than today, and I don't recall an anesthetic.

Is there any chance your doctor's office was in the Third Ward?

By your description, it sounds an awful lot like you were kinda out of it from the prep, and picked the wrong door..  :-X
I promise not to duck.