Author Topic: Color photos of America from the 30s and 40s  (Read 2706 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Color photos of America from the 30s and 40s
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2006, 09:51:24 AM »
OK, I think that is a P-51A Mustang...

I forgot that the Apache had nose mounted guns, and while it's kind of difficult to tell, there doesn't appear to be a nose gun on the underside of the nose.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fudgieghost

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2006, 11:07:55 AM »
I think the A-20 was called the "Havoc", IIRC.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2006, 11:12:23 AM »
In American service it was the Havoc, in British service it was generally known as the Boston.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fudgieghost

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2006, 11:16:02 AM »
Mike: sorry, when I posted, you post wasn't up. . . Yes, the UK gave their own names to US planes: Buffalo, Hudson, etc.  

Was the AT-6 called the Texan by us or the Brits?  Did they also come up with "Dakota" for the C-47?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2006, 01:56:54 PM »
The AT-6 Texan was the American name. In Britain it was known as the Harvard.

The C-47 was known as the Skytrain in the United States, and was the Dakota to the British. The Dakota name apparently caught the imagination a little more.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2006, 04:26:23 PM »
Is there a B&W slide film available?

There might be one still being made-there were one or two about ten years ago.  One was in Zagreb, Croatia, but I don't know if they survived the Balkans' War(They were the last source of B&W 127).  The other was Fuji or possibly Agfa.  It would be a special order, and processing it would be quite a feat too.

FOUND IT!!  It's Agfa Scala.  There are still sellers and processors for this in the US.  I don't know what the future of the film will be, though; it seems Agfa in Germany is in the process of liquidation.  contact me if you want more info
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2006, 05:00:57 PM »
Funny you should mention 127 film...

One of the things I found in the basement as I was cleaning up was an old photo album (my Aunt put it down there, along with a LOT of other family photos, I told my Father to tell her that the next time I see her she's going to lose some teeth).

Many of the pictures in the album, of my Grandparents and Father and Aunt, were taken with a Baby Brownie Special using 127 film. I also found the Baby Brownies in the basement as I was cleaning up.