Author Topic: I wonder how many superintendents they laid off?  (Read 1683 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
I wonder how many superintendents they laid off?
« on: June 29, 2011, 11:57:16 PM »
(CNN) -- In a budget-cutting move likely to be echoed around the country, Milwaukee Public Schools said Wednesday it will lay off 519 staff members -- including 354 teachers -- because of $84 million in state cuts and the system's efforts to control costs.
Superintendent Gregory Thornton also said schools will likely see larger class sizes and the continued use of older textbooks. The state budget cut means $200 less per child, officials said.
The layoffs are effective Friday, the beginning of the third quarter, when cash-strapped state and local governments are forecast to shed up to 110,000 jobs, according to IHS Global Insight.
They probably hired a few extra $200k/yr executives to manage the crisis.

Next, the city will close the library and lay off most of the firefighters.  That'll show the voters who's boss.  (and maybe crack down on seatbelt scofflaws.)
"It's good, though..."

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re: I wonder how many superintendents they laid off?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 04:21:43 PM »
The state budget cut means $200 less per child, officials said.
Given the response, seems that this money is going elsewhere more than to the children.

Typical unaccountable state-funded greed.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen