Author Topic: Best shooting with a 1911 ever!  (Read 2498 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Best shooting with a 1911 ever!
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:24:27 AM »

*Here's a link to a 1996 Air Force Magazine account of the incident: http://www.sightm1911.com/1911%20Myth.htm#2d%20Lt.%20Owen%20J.%20Baggett

Best Shot with a 1911. Ever.by Phil Bourjaily
While compiling the timeline for “Pistol of the Century,” our tribute to the 1911 in the June issue of Field & Stream, I read through many accounts of the 1911 in combat. The most unusual shot,(and possibly the best ever) made in wartime with a 1911 pistol had to be the one fired by a USAAF B-24 co-pilot named Owen J. Baggett in March, 1943 in the skies over Burma. Of course, I am biased toward this one as it involves a flying target . . .
On a mission to destroy a railroad bridge, Baggett’s bomber squadron was intercepted by Japanese Zero fighters and his plane was badly damaged. After holding off the enemy with the top turret .50s while the gunner tried to put out onboard fires, Baggett bailed out with the rest of the crew. He and four others escaped the burning bomber before it exploded.
The Zero pilots circled back to strafe the parachuting crewmen, killing two and lightly wounding Baggett, who played dead in his harness, hoping the Japanese would leave him alone. Though playing dead, Baggett still drew his .45 and hid it alongside his leg...just in case. A Zero approached within a few feet of Baggett at near stall speeds. The pilot opened the canopy for a better look at his victim.
Baggett raised his pistol and fired four shots into the cockpit. The Zero spun out of sight. Although Baggett could never believe he had shot down a fighter plane with his pistol, at least one credible report said the plane was found crashed, the pilot thrown clear of the wreckage with a single bullet in his head.
If Baggett really did shoot down a fighter with his 1911, it has to count as one of the greatest feats ever accomplished with a .45.
Baggett survived two years in a Japanese prison camp in Singapore and eventually retired from the Air Force as a colonel.

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Best shooting with a 1911 ever!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:23:54 PM »
Baggett survived two years in a Japanese prison camp in Singapore...

From what I've heard, that's a feat all by itself.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:40:25 PM »
Damn straight. They were cannibalizing our pilots in some places and/or using them for bayonet practice.. George Bush Sr came very close to being Sushi. He was lucky enough to be picked up by a sub as the Japs were headed out to capture him.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:21:38 PM »
Dang.... I do believe that's the ultimate trump card to play in the 9mm vs. .45 debate....   :P
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 01:51:05 PM »
I remember reading this one several decades ago when it was featured in  Ripley's Believe it or Not, which at that time had a section in the Sunday newspaper comics . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
Dang.... I do believe that's the ultimate trump card to play in the 9mm vs. .45 debate....   :P

yeah, 'cause if he had a 9mm he would of got 'em before bailing out! :laugh:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 04:42:24 PM »
Dang.... I do believe that's the ultimate trump card to play in the 9mm vs. .45 debate....   :P
:lol:

Who needs a trump card? I have both.  :cool:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 09:05:32 PM »
I'll throw in the 2nd best feat of 1911 shooting next.

It seems P-80 Shooting Stars sometimes had problems when drawing fuel from the wing tip tanks.

If both tanks weren't drained evenly prior to landing, Bad Things would happen on short final.

Enter the U.S. Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911: 

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/Above--Beyond-Shooting-Up-a-Shooting-Star.html

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 09:26:31 PM »
Just to throw in some contrast, one of the WORST feats with a 1911....

http://pistol-training.com/archives/4926

Dude's lucky he was using FMJ....
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth