Author Topic: Pray my dog tries to eat her...  (Read 7901 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Pray my dog tries to eat her...
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:34:47 PM »
...otherwise, I think we're going to be stuck with this:

A friend has been watching a stray mother and kittens living in a corner of her yard all summer, and this one fell into a storm drain, and needed the FD to get it out. It then went to the 24hr vet that has the local animal control contract for our town. The friend is third-trimester pregnant/hormonal, and was terrified the kitten would go to the local county shelter, which only adopts out 30% even on kittens. So she paid the $400 24hr vet bill, (exam, fluids, x-ray, flea-dip & worming) before the county could come collect it and they'd release it to her.

She's got two cats that would pitch a fit at a third kitten, and she's leaving for a family vacation tonight. So yeah, we're taking it.  :facepalm:

Our dog's rough past as a stray makes her extremely dog-aggressive. No idea how she'll react to a kitten. There's already a ton of folks on Facebook lined up to take this kitten, so with any luck our dog will think she's a snack, and we'll have a one animal home again soon.

I think the odds of it are against me though.  =|

I promise not to duck.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Pray my dog tries to eat her...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:39:59 PM »
you are screwd    better you than me
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »
I'm so thankful I'm allergic to cats.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »
I'm so thankful I'm allergic to cats.

hah!  so am i.  you have a daughter and you think that will matter?  HAH!!! grasshopper has much to learn....
wife one?  had 9 cats at one time
oldest kid  had a cat for a year. inside much eye watering for me   
i can't wait to see how your kid plays you
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 01:53:02 PM »
At our peak, we had two cats and two dogs, and the first set of twin girls was born too. The cats had been first, and were antagonistic to the first dog, and downright nasty basement-hiding funk when we got the second dog as a companion to the first.

When the girls were only 3 months old, the first dog died of auto-immune hemolytic anemia.

When the two sets of twins were aged 1 and 2, the first cat died at age seven, reasons unknown, just curled up on a chair in the finished basement.

Reached out to pet him and "thunk" cold roast beef. (he was never quite right though, dumb, and had forever-wet stools that three different vets could never diagnose even with labs.)

Back in Christmas of '07, the second dog started having seizures, then never came out of it despite meds, all he could do was pant and drool. Had to put him down.

Then in '09 the last cat died (the girls barely knew we had him because he still wanted nothing to do with the kids) accidentaly ran into a loop of cell phone charger between the bed and Mrs. Dual's night stand. Fought and rolled, tightening it, and strangled himself. I actually heard him struggle, but thought it was the girls just being naughty and yelled down the hall for them to go to bed.

A good scream from Mrs. Dual alerted me to that one.

Hopefully the kitten, six/seven weeks and just weaned, will bond with the dog. She had one litter in rescue before we'd gotten her, so maybe she'll take to the kitten. I'll do a complete 180 and be happy if the cat and dog play and cuddle, and the cat's outgoing with everyone in the house.  

A long experience with stubborn cranky cats that just hide from everyone under furniture and in the basement, and don't accept new kids, and provide nothing but litter box contents, vet bills, and consume food, are why I'm not really a fan. The only upside was that when the girls did see the cats, it was so rarely, they were as excited as if some unusual animal like a fox, bear, or deer were in the suburban backyard.So when they died, they didn't even notice.

Crossing my fingers for the outgoing/fun "thinks it's a dog" kind of cat here.
I promise not to duck.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:02:51 PM »
its a cute kitten, you're dooooooooommmmed
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 02:11:48 PM »
Our dog's rough past as a stray makes her extremely dog-aggressive. No idea how she'll react to a kitten.

Our last dog, a rescue, was dog-aggressive, but fine around cats, even a bit timid. 

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 02:47:13 PM »
A long experience with stubborn cranky cats that just hide from everyone under furniture and in the basement, and don't accept new kids, and provide nothing but litter box contents, vet bills, and consume food, are why I'm not really a fan.

Yeah, not much point so such a critter, except as a mouser on a farm.

I think I'd likely put such a critter and worthless money-sink out of my misery.

FTR, I like cats that like people.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »
I've felt that "dogs and kids first" kitten second is the way to go. Now I get to find out.

Update from Mrs. Dual calling me at work, our dog, a 3 year old pitbull/bulldog mix rescue met the kitten. Her first impulse was to try and carry it around in her mouth by the nape of the neck like a puppy. Then she licked it, and rolled over on her back for the kitten.

Mrs. Dual and my daughters have locked the kitten in one room with a litter box, water and food, and are now off to Walmart to buy several thousand dollars worth of cat supplies I'm sure.

Yep, I'm #^&#*'d.  ;/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:26:04 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »
hah!  so am i.  you have a daughter and you think that will matter?  HAH!!! grasshopper has much to learn....
wife one?  had 9 cats at one time
oldest kid  had a cat for a year. inside much eye watering for me   
i can't wait to see how your kid plays you

I'm not just slightly allergic to cats. Spending significant time in a house with one is not quite deadly, but it sure feels like it. (I've never had to LIVE in a house with one, so it may be.)

And, like Rooster, as much as I joke, I don't hate cats. I, too, like cats that like people. I just prefer dogs. (And I'm not allergic to dogs, another plus.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 03:39:27 PM »
If you're allergic to cats but like them, a spayed female is your best bet.  It's the proteins in their saliva that trigger the reaction, and spayed females have something like 1/10th of the proteins that males do, even neutered ones.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 03:42:56 PM »
If you're allergic to cats but like them, a spayed female is your best bet.  It's the proteins in their saliva that trigger the reaction, and spayed females have something like 1/10th of the proteins that males do, even neutered ones.

Brad

That's interesting to know. I'm allergic to cats and dogs, but as I've aged, it's only to the point if I pet them, then accidentally rub my face etc. before I remembered to wash my hands off. 
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 03:44:17 PM »
If you're allergic to cats but like them, a spayed female is your best bet.  It's the proteins in their saliva that trigger the reaction, and spayed females have something like 1/10th of the proteins that males do, even neutered ones.

Brad

I'm going to pretend I don't know that information. ;)

(Also, I have very little to worry about as it appears my little girl is a dog person. And by appears, I mean: tries to jump out of your arms squeeling to get to the doggie.)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 03:53:39 PM »

Brad

Interesting.... I love cats, but my wife and I are both pretty allergic. Once our current "zomg small and furry must eat it!!!" dog has passed away, we may look into getting a kitteh.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »
I'm going to pretend I don't know that information. ;)

(Also, I have very little to worry about as it appears my little girl is a dog person. And by appears, I mean: tries to jump out of your arms squeeling to get to the doggie.)

oooh!  bring her by  got a 12 week border collie and one going on 10 months

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »

Are you talking about the dog with the toilet seat around the neck?  :laugh:
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »
Kittah will control your mind with gondi
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 05:06:34 PM »
Are you talking about the dog with the toilet seat around the neck?  :laugh:

Yep.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »

Crossing my fingers for the outgoing/fun "thinks it's a dog" kind of cat here.

Here's a hint:

Get a dog if you want a "thinks it's a dog" kind of cat.  Cats like that are rare.  That's why cats are cats (and are hated), and dogs are dogs (and are loved).
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 05:19:20 PM »
Our last dog, a rescue, was dog-aggressive, but fine around cats, even a bit timid. 

Same with my dog.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »
oooh!  bring her by  got a 12 week border collie and one going on 10 months

TWO young border collies?!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »

They can take turns herding each other.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »

It's cute....I think you should send it to a good home......do you have a large envelope and lots of bubble wrap?....  =D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:53:20 PM by seeker_two »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »

yea  its busy at times. thankfully the 4 year old is equal to tiring out one pup. and the rest of us tag team the other.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 05:51:55 PM »
Here's a hint:

Get a dog if you want a "thinks it's a dog" kind of cat.  Cats like that are rare.  That's why cats are cats (and are hated), and dogs are dogs (and are loved).

Well, hopefully being only 6-7 weeks old, it'll imprint on the dog, and being manhandled loved by four girls who won't leave it alone, it'll hopefully become a "people person" cat.
I promise not to duck.